Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 11:34 PM

9 posts, read 14,744 times

Advertisements

No kids yet, no debt, have cash for downpayent on a house, 31 year old couple looking to move to the central west coast of Florida...

Question is: Actually how bad is the employment situation down there?

My wife is a 10+ year, highly experienced and respected member of the Science Museum/Center community were we live know (Large science center) and has the resume, knowledge and love of community involvement to be a real asset to any similar organization. She has been a key player in developing the center she works at into what it is today.

I have worked in motorcycle dealerships for over 10 years. Know Harley Davidson (current employer), all japanese brands. Know jet skis, atvs, dirt bikes, street bikes all their parts, accessories and features. Can work in pretty much all aspects of the dealership, but not a mechanic. Would love to work in the finance department side of things.

Most prospects for her line of work do not accept unsolicited resumes and I would assume the "toy stores" I work in hire the guy that walks in and can prove the knowledge and experience...thats how it usually happens with everyone I know in my industry--not to many resumes passed around.

Is it a case there that there are no jobs to be had or that if you want to work you will find something? We are hard workers and like to progress in our jobs. Looks like there are alot of dealers and museums in this area?

Any suggestions or comments welcome. Her employment is the only thing that is keeping us from jumping. Once we find that, things should move fairly quickly for us. Why spend some of the best years of your life somewhere you have lived all your life and grown to hate.

Everything is set to "walk the walk", but that little detail of at least a single income, lol.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 08:56 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,204,841 times
The employment situation here is abysmal.

We have jet skis, and while there are a few places to take them they mostly want you to buy a new ski instead of fixing what you have. Lazy, lazy lazy. Last time we took one in they told us the motor had seized. Really? I started it right in front of the service manager & asked him if it sounded seized to him.

But I digress.

I know so many people who are looking for work. Any work. There just aren't many opportunities here and there are hundreds of qualified candidates for every opportunity that comes along.

If you need to work, don't come here until you find a job.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:45 AM

385 posts, read 1,157,499 times
From todays paper:

Region's jobless rate soars to 13.4 percent | Section Home | HeraldTribune.com

"My wife is a 10+ year, highly experienced and respected member of the Science Museum/Center community were we live know (Large science center) and has the resume, knowledge and love of community involvement to be a real asset to any similar organization. She has been a key player in developing the center she works at into what it is today"

Honestly if she is looking for a similar position here I feel it will be difficult, we just have literally hundreds of overqualified candidates in the area looking for employment. It's all about who you know here, especially in areas like that. We have so many people here involved in areas like these, many often experienced and retired, working on committees/for organizations for free.

If the job market was better and you (yourself) could be assured a position, she could try to get her foot in the door networking by attending many of the cultural functions and charitable events, performing community service, volunteering at say G Wiz, Selby Gardens, Bishop Planetarium, Ringling Museum, etc.

We just have so many local over qualified candidates in the area fighting for work, just want to be honest with you.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:19 PM

917 posts, read 2,611,211 times
A new approach to job hunting on today's Craig list:

Quote:
Thousand Dollars Cash Reward (Lee and collier)

Date: 2010-03-10, 3:22PM EST
Reply to: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I will pay a $1000 cash to anyone who can find me an overnight managerial position
paying at least 35,000 - 40,000 a year.

I have a business degree.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
  • Compensation: $1000

PostingID: 1637888985

Old 03-11-2010, 03:39 AM

917 posts, read 2,611,211 times
I agree with angelfish. I really think being able to find just about any job at this point really depends on who you know. Maybe other regions of Florida are doing a little better than here? This is a different (and longer) article from today's paper. It paints a pretty grim long term picture for Florida over the next few years.
Quote:
Region's unemployment rate hits high mark

March 11, 2010
Southwest Florida's unemployment rate jumped by one-third from January 2009 to the start of this year, a tangible sign that the economic recession regionally shows few signs of waning.

At 13.5 percent for Manatee, Sarasota and Charlotte counties during January -- up from 10.1 percent a year ago -- the percentage of job seekers in this region is at its highest rate in the two decades since records have been kept...

On a state level, only California lost more jobs in the 12-month period beginning in January 2009 than Florida, Rust said. At the same time, job hunters are finding they are up against roughly five other competitors for each job opening.

Region's unemployment rate hits high mark | Section Home | HeraldTribune.com

Old 03-11-2010, 06:49 AM

9 posts, read 14,744 times
Wow. That is exactly the information I needed to know. I tend to be overly optimistic about things and just go for it, but it sounds as if the only way to live there at the moment is if you already have a secure job or you don't have to work at all.

Is this the case all over the state of Florida or would looking into northern Florida be a better focal point? Guess we could check out southeast Alabama too.

Have to get away from Louisiana. It is sucking the life out of us, lol.

Thanks for all the good info and replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area