U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 PM

71 posts, read 98,175 times

Advertisements

Jenny, you mention San Diego as being too expensive, but you may want to give it another look. Oceanside is probably in your price range, it's right next to Pendleton as you probably know, the Coaster train rolls through that area as well. Your son the budding actor may be better off in CA than Sarasota....Plus you get the mild SoCal weather and avoid the sweltering tropical heat in FL for at least 5 months of the year. Just a thought - don't be too sure you're priced out of certain parts of Southern Cal.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 08:29 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,371,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCounselor View Post
Jenny, you mention San Diego as being too expensive, but you may want to give it another look. Oceanside is probably in your price range, it's right next to Pendleton as you probably know, the Coaster train rolls through that area as well. Your son the budding actor may be better off in CA than Sarasota....Plus you get the mild SoCal weather and avoid the sweltering tropical heat in FL for at least 5 months of the year. Just a thought - don't be too sure you're priced out of certain parts of Southern Cal.
Funny you should say that. I lived in Oceanside Ca for 16 years. I was stationed at Camp Pendleton and just stayed there. I left there for RI in 2004. It was way to expensive and I didn't like the schools. RI is cheaper than San Diego. I also actually would prefer warmer weather than the San Diego area. I am one of those people who runs cold. I put on the heat almost every night in Oceanside. I do go to Ca once every winter to visit.
I really have no desire to live in Oceanside or Southern Ca again.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:48 AM

14,668 posts, read 29,764,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Funny you should say that. I lived in Oceanside Ca for 16 years. I was stationed at Camp Pendleton and just stayed there. I left there for RI in 2004. It was way to expensive and I didn't like the schools. RI is cheaper than San Diego. I also actually would prefer warmer weather than the San Diego area. I am one of those people who runs cold. I put on the heat almost every night in Oceanside. I do go to Ca once every winter to visit.
I really have no desire to live in Oceanside or Southern Ca again.
Not to mention, you will get a WHALE of a deal on a nice home here compared to anywhere in SoCal.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:50 AM

6,103 posts, read 12,735,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Not to mention, you will get a WHALE of a deal on a nice home here compared to anywhere in SoCal.
SWFL is definitely warmer than San Diego, although San Diego ain't bad!! I loved it there when I was there, and they are having huge housing foreclosure issues there as well. So prices on homes there are much better than they were years ago.

Houses are selling for unbelievable prices down here right now. Less than what it cost to build them. You won't have the cost of heating that you have up there, and if you like warm / hot weather, prepare your self to turn on the air conditioner a couple months a year, but those costs are NOT what you spend for heating!!

In general the cost of living here is much less than RI as well.
Don't for get to make a list of all the things you will need!
Here I'll start it for you:
Sun glasses,
Sun screen,
shorts and light shirts,
flip flops,
and one of those beer mugs you can keep in your freeze (when it's not in my hand, full of Yeungling), of course! , a charged up cell phone (so you can invite me over),
a nice grille, with plenty of stuff for outside entertainment,
Oh, a couple swim suits for the beach,
fishing gear (gotta have that),
a good kayak,
tennis racket,
golf clubs,
Ice cooler (to hold my beer)
trade the car in and get a convertible (I like to ride in a convertible).
Hmmmmm, what else . . .

Old 04-03-2010, 04:02 PM

739 posts, read 1,557,190 times
The problem with SoCal isn't just the housing costs, it's everything else. The state is bankrupt. Services are being shut down and fees are escalating. Car registration in California is in the hundreds of dollars. The state needs money and they will get it out of you one way or another.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
The problem with SoCal isn't just the housing costs, it's everything else. The state is bankrupt. Services are being shut down and fees are escalating. Car registration in California is in the hundreds of dollars. The state needs money and they will get it out of you one way or another.
San Diego county also had some of he highest sales taxes in the country and they tax EVERYTHING

Old 04-06-2010, 03:39 PM

477 posts, read 850,571 times
Default We love this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
SWFL is definitely warmer than San Diego, although San Diego ain't bad!! I loved it there when I was there, and they are having huge housing foreclosure issues there as well. So prices on homes there are much better than they were years ago.

Houses are selling for unbelievable prices down here right now. Less than what it cost to build them. You won't have the cost of heating that you have up there, and if you like warm / hot weather, prepare your self to turn on the air conditioner a couple months a year, but those costs are NOT what you spend for heating!!

In general the cost of living here is much less than RI as well.
Don't for get to make a list of all the things you will need!
Here I'll start it for you:
Sun glasses,
Sun screen,
shorts and light shirts,
flip flops,
and one of those beer mugs you can keep in your freeze (when it's not in my hand, full of Yeungling), of course! , a charged up cell phone (so you can invite me over),
a nice grille, with plenty of stuff for outside entertainment,
Oh, a couple swim suits for the beach,
fishing gear (gotta have that),
a good kayak,
tennis racket,
golf clubs,
Ice cooler (to hold my beer)
trade the car in and get a convertible (I like to ride in a convertible).
Hmmmmm, what else . . .
Big House, love your post and can't wait to show my husband your list! That's all we need! He is from SoCal but prefers the gulf coast of Florida. He loves to surf, but would rather live on the Gulf. Can't wait!!! You had me at flip flops....

Old 04-06-2010, 05:49 PM

6,103 posts, read 12,735,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachymom View Post
Big House, love your post and can't wait to show my husband your list! That's all we need! He is from SoCal but prefers the gulf coast of Florida. He loves to surf, but would rather live on the Gulf. Can't wait!!! You had me at flip flops....
Thanks, I like to be both helpful and fun. I get more beer that way, and if I'm lucky I can sneak a flirt or two in there, and get away with it. LOL

Old 04-08-2010, 12:14 PM

I must admit, I can't decide between Pinellas county and Sarasota. Pinellas county seems bigger and busier and I'm not very good at living in smaller towns. I like to be in a place with tons to do. So I guess I will spend the next year looking at both areas.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:58 PM

14,668 posts, read 29,764,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
I must admit, I can't decide between Pinellas county and Sarasota. Pinellas county seems bigger and busier and I'm not very good at living in smaller towns. I like to be in a place with tons to do. So I guess I will spend the next year looking at both areas.
Pinellas may be bigger, but it does not necessarily have "more to do.'' What it does have is a LOT more congestion. But, visit and see what you like better. Personally, I love Sarasota/Bradenton 100 times more than Pinellas, and it is a fairly easy drive over the bridge or interstate area to the Tampa Bay area anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area