Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 12:02 PM

913 posts, read 2,353,010 times

Advertisements

The EPA has told BP to use less toxic dispersant in the gulf.

OK, so NOW they are concerned?

Less toxic? How much less toxic? How much is OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 12:31 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,837,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
The EPA has told BP to use less toxic dispersant in the gulf.

OK, so NOW they are concerned?

Less toxic? How much less toxic? How much is OK?
The NY Times reported

"Of 18 dispersants whose use EPA has approved, 12 were found to be more effective on southern Louisiana crude than Corexit, EPA data show. Two of the 12 were found to be 100 percent effective on Gulf of Mexico crude, while the two Corexit products rated 56 percent and 63 percent effective, respectively. The toxicity of the 12 was shown to be either comparable to the Corexit line or, in some cases, 10 or 20 times less, according to EPA."

Last night I watched Anderson Cooper talking to one of the BP Executives and he couldn't get a straight answer to his questions. When Anderson mentioned that the dispersant they've been using called Corexit is manufactured by NALCO whose directors include executives from BP he just answered "I'm not aware of that." Bull

Edit: Just in case someone mentions that the New York Times often leans "Left" or is part of the "Mainstream Media" here's a link from a UK source on the same subject.

[URL="http://topnews.co.uk/24532-bp-s-ties-nalco-co-s-corexit"]BPs Ties With Nalco Co.'s Corexit | TopNews United Kingdom[/URL]

"...experts question BP's sustained commitment to Corexit, given apparently superior alternatives. "Why wouldn't you go for the lesser toxic formulation?" said Carys Mitchelmore, an assistant professor of environmental chemistry and toxicology at the University of Maryland's Center for Environmental Science."

Last edited by justNancy; 05-20-2010 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: fix link

Old 05-20-2010, 12:51 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,030,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Last night I watched Anderson Cooper talking to one of the BP Executives and he couldn't get a straight answer to his questions. When Anderson mentioned that the dispersant they've been using called Corexit is manufactured by NALCO whose directors include executives from BP he just answered "I'm not aware of that." Bull

Edit: Just in case someone mentions that the New York Times often leans "Left" or is part of the "Mainstream Media" here's a link from a UK source on the same subject.

BPs Ties With Nalco Co.'s Corexit | TopNews United Kingdom

"...experts question BP's sustained commitment to Corexit, given apparently superior alternatives. "Why wouldn't you go for the lesser toxic formulation?" said Carys Mitchelmore, an assistant professor of environmental chemistry and toxicology at the University of Maryland's Center for Environmental Science."
Wasn't that interview AWFUL!!!!!!
Makes it very clear that BP (& its suppliers) was just plain old negligent.
And this is coming from someone who spent his whole career in the corporate world, and even on occasion the Press liaison for issues involving my company. No way in the world would I ever have given an interview that bad(I hope) - it instilled absolutely no confidence, and served to make matters worse.

As for the NY TImes being left or right, I really don't see this spill as a political issue at all as some people are making it out to be.
It is plain & simple corporate greed, taking advantage of loopholes & lazy (or worse) career bureaucrats.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:31 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,024,131 times
I have a friend that is a top level marine biologist for the Government, and he said he is afraid to discuss how bad he thinks this whole thing is going to be, because it is going to be a huge disaster!!

Old 05-20-2010, 05:32 PM

4,892 posts, read 14,087,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I have a friend that is a top level marine biologist for the Government, and he said he is afraid to discuss how bad he thinks this whole thing is going to be, because it is going to be a huge disaster!!
Spill is worse then they thought, washing up in Venice, LA & it doesn't look good whatsoever.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:13 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,909,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Spill is worse then they thought, washing up in Venice, LA & it doesn't look good whatsoever.
Only last year Louisiana's state bird was taken off the US Federal endangered species list. This negligent and dare I say, evil greed that lead to this disaster may finish off an entire species in the Gulf of Mexico region.
"It could be the strikeout punch," for the Brown Pelican, said Gregory Butcher, bird conservation director for the Audubon Society.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:53 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,837,558 times
There is a slideshow on Flickr from Jindal's trip to the Louisiana marshland.

Governor Jindal Tours Oil Impacted Marshland May 19, 2010 - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lagohsep/sets/72157624096616514/ - broken link)

Did anyone read that Corexit, the dispersant BP has been using, was banned in the UK because of its effects on human health & marine life? From the [URL="http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/greenspace/2010/05/gulf-oil-spill-epa-orders-bp-to-use-less-toxic-dispersant.html"]Los Angeles Times[/URL]

"Rep. Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.), who three days ago questioned the toxicity of a dispersant called Corexit, praised the agency’s decision. Markey had argued that some formulations of Corexit were banned in Britain more than a decade ago because of harmful effects to sea life."

Old 05-21-2010, 07:24 AM

164 posts, read 459,055 times
Quote:

Governor Jindal Tours Oil Impacted Marshland May 19, 2010 - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lagohsep/sets/72157624096616514/ - broken link)

Did anyone read that Corexit, the dispersant BP has been using, was banned in the UK because of its effects on human health & marine life? From the Los Angeles Times

"Rep. Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.), who three days ago questioned the toxicity of a dispersant called Corexit, praised the agency’s decision. Markey had argued that some formulations of Corexit were banned in Britain more than a decade ago because of harmful effects to sea life."
What a mess makes the tummy completely churn

Old 05-22-2010, 07:04 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,024,131 times
Quote:

Did anyone read that Corexit, the dispersant BP has been using, was banned in the UK because of its effects on human health & marine life? From the Los Angeles Times

Come On Nancy!! We're talking money here! Get with it!! You know that (money) is much more important than public health! Or, endangered species! Or, people's livelihoods, or our next generation, or a third of the seafood that we eat! Geeze! This is real money!! - pardon my sarcasm, instead of my normal humor - It's NOT directed at you. For this point - I hold my flirtative jestures toward you in abayance. Restraint I didn't know I had.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:34 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times
normally nothing that Rush Limbaugh says I find credible and try not to even pay attention to what he says second or third hand...but he has said basically that this oil spill is going to be Obama's Waterloo and I am starting to think he is right about that...(and I voted for Obama)

the free hand the government allowed the big oil offshore drillers before this spill is one thing--
I don't agree with it--but it was a fact...only future regulation and hiring people who will stand up to oil interests can make a different in the future
BUT
the way that the govt has allowed BP to run the show, dilly-dally about the solution, lie to the public (and to the govt probably), evade honest answers about their responsibility and their fiscal response is borderline criminal neglect...
if Obama does not take over control of this fiasco and do it within the next 48 hours I don't think it can be solved...
BP has now pushed back again the process to basically cover the spill and stop the leak...
I think the people it has working on this are not that knowledgeable about emergency proceedures--they are obviously not prepared to deal with what happens when something goes wrong in the sense that they have lines up other proceedures that can be done quickly...
Letting Kevin Costner's machines take a role is neither here nor there--he is dealing with the aftermath--not the cause...
STOPPING THAT LEAK should be the primary goal of anyone associated with the Interior dept/EPA/environmental concerns...
there are other things that can and should already be in place to prevent oil encroaching on the beaches/wetlands--and they aren't--
and from what I have read Jindal has been lax about putting Louisiana's money in play--he rants about the Fed and then begs for its help--that is not smart way to get govt assistance--
biting the hand that he needs help from ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area