U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 05-23-2010, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Punta Gorda and Maryland
5,681 posts, read 8,030,432 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
British Petroleum is barely British anymore. In fact, as you likely know, they actually spent millions on an ad campaign to change the perception of their name ("re-branding") to Beyond Petroleum. I guess that .3% of their budget spent on solar justifies it, I don't know.

So don't worry about it. Nobody's sitting around worrying about what a scourge the British have been here in America. Just don't move to Arizona.

If you all had simply done a better job of governing the colonies, none of this might have happened.
I believe they are made up largely in the US by a company here previously known as AMACO. It doesn't make any difference - they are all a bunch of idiots that have been smelling too many fumes for years, and can't stop a leaky pipe! Really, it is dumbfoundedly moronic that, this is thier main business focus, and they never had any proven solutions! My god, a hurricane could come through and what - take out a few thousand wells in the gulf! Come on!

Sad to say, but I think if we could all cast a secret vote on what to do with the top 100 people involved in off-shore drilling, including some government people, torture then firing squad, would make it on to the ballot. Any other ballot Ideas? Certainly, a life of impoverishment would, because someone needs to pay for this. They could have thier second chance, by working in sanitation or maybe the clean-up operation. I'll gladly donate some rags for them to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2010, 06:31 AM
 
92 posts, read 108,467 times
Reputation: 29
Ah, the blame game. There's plenty to go around. But I start with our government not doing it's job (again) of enforcing regulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 12:30 AM
 
Location: Alaska
377 posts, read 591,275 times
Reputation: 161
And.. I'll take it a little further ... government is a reflection of what the people allow or demand. The lifestyle we enjoy requires an addictiion to oil, and we are mostly concerned with continuing that. Few, if any of us, get involved with anything beyond feeding that need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 07:11 AM
 
185 posts, read 274,801 times
Reputation: 87
I've been wondering why there doesn't seem to be more outrage. Why aren't we seeing protests and boycotts and environmental organizations screaming and yelling? Maybe this is why:

Nature Conservancy has long-standing ties to BP | HeraldTribune.com

Where are the American people? Is it just my imagination, or am I not seeing the outrage and action one would expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Punta Gorda and Maryland
5,681 posts, read 8,030,432 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne4t View Post
I've been wondering why there doesn't seem to be more outrage. Why aren't we seeing protests and boycotts and environmental organizations screaming and yelling? Maybe this is why:

Nature Conservancy has long-standing ties to BP | HeraldTribune.com

Where are the American people? Is it just my imagination, or am I not seeing the outrage and action one would expect?
I think it is because the public has been taken in by the mis-representation in the press, about how bad this thing is, and all the problems that it will cause. There is NO Foresight, or forecast on what this all means. Even the Government isn't doing anything about this, and the press has been locked down from really doing thier job. It is truely an outrage. I think as much money is being spent to mis-lead the public as they are spending to fix the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Punta Gorda and Maryland
5,681 posts, read 8,030,432 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgans View Post
Ah, the blame game. There's plenty to go around. But I start with our government not doing it's job (again) of enforcing regulations.
There's enough oil to smear it all over everyone that's to blame! And I hope they all get some on 'em!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Punta Gorda and Maryland
5,681 posts, read 8,030,432 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
And.. I'll take it a little further ... government is a reflection of what the people allow or demand. The lifestyle we enjoy requires an addictiion to oil, and we are mostly concerned with continuing that. Few, if any of us, get involved with anything beyond feeding that need.

We've had the technology, capability, and financial means to move away from it - very far away from it. However, the oil companies do not want us to believe that we have that ability, thus, the mind game of dependence continues, as does the flow of money. As long as they can continue the flow of money faster than the flow of oil - our government will do nothing.

Seven new wells have started according to the press, after the president issued a moratorium. What weak leadership! What ignorance on the part of the oil companies, and the people to allow this to go unfettered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 09:47 AM
 
185 posts, read 274,801 times
Reputation: 87
BH you are one of the few people that is showing the anger that I've been expecting from our whole country. Do people feel defeated, or as you said, are they being misled? Are we that stupid? I've been wracking my brain trying to figure this out, because what seems to me to be an obvious complete and total disaster to more than just the gulf coast and it's inhabitants (human and otherwise), but to all of our quality of life is not getting the action from us it deserves. Is it a case of denial? Not wanting to believe the possible effects? It seems like a lot a *#$! is going on that we don't know about and THE OIL CONTINUES TO GUSH!!!

I am generally not an alarmist. I usually scoff at the way the media blows things out of proportion. But whatever is going on here, I simply don't get.

Not to start an off topic political discussion, but to show what kind of action can be taken, look at the recent outrage and action taken against the state of Arizona. Sorry, but this is much much worse.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Sunshine N'Blue Skies
13,315 posts, read 13,540,204 times
Reputation: 11460
Our daughter just had to cancel her Siesta Key reservation. The govenor issued that emergency order, and so having a vacation 6 weeks away from now at the beach was iffy.
I hope the capping happens soon.....Whatever works with that cement.
Personally I think the US should have had any type of Coast Guard ship out there possible.
Catching whatever they could. Leaving this up to BP was not working well from the start....and now it is 35 days later. I would have given them about 10 days.......thats it!
This is now a battle for sea life, for the fishermen, for our food safety, for the sakes of hotels and condos......The turtles, the birds, fish......Those awesome, awesome, beaches.
The beaches are really the best. Better then the Hawaii beaches......Whiter, cleaner, no rocks to scramble over.....
Do you even want to think about the black oil that might arrive there......? This really is a tragedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 11:09 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Florida
1,439 posts, read 1,458,191 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne4t View Post
BH you are one of the few people that is showing the anger that I've been expecting from our whole country. Do people feel defeated, or as you said, are they being misled? Are we that stupid? I've been wracking my brain trying to figure this out, because what seems to me to be an obvious complete and total disaster to more than just the gulf coast and it's inhabitants (human and otherwise), but to all of our quality of life is not getting the action from us it deserves. Is it a case of denial? Not wanting to believe the possible effects? It seems like a lot a *#$! is going on that we don't know about and THE OIL CONTINUES TO GUSH!!!

I am generally not an alarmist. I usually scoff at the way the media blows things out of proportion. But whatever is going on here, I simply don't get.

Not to start an off topic political discussion, but to show what kind of action can be taken, look at the recent outrage and action taken against the state of Arizona. Sorry, but this is much much worse.........
I agree with BigHouse's anger and feel it myself. But I am unable to express it as eloquently as he has done. My anger wouldn't change anything at this point. I don't trust the media, BP, our government to do the right thing. So instead I have offered my time to volunteer should the need arise in our area. I get updates from Audubon, and let me tell you, the pictures of small helpless birds covered in the orangish color of oil would sicken anyone with even the tiniest heart. And the untold millions of fish and other species who are suffering outside of the public eye...And don't even get me started on the poor fisherman trying to put food on his table. People (media/public opinion) scoff at wildlife/environmental activists as a bunch of granola eating flakes, but in times like these...the granola eating flakes are the only ones who are doing the right thing.

UP WITH SOLAR ENERGY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top