U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-27-2010, 12:09 PM

14,505 posts, read 26,616,585 times
I would not say there was a definite closure to the leak until some time has passed...
there is apparently a lot of pressure in that hole--and IF the concrete mixture used to set the casing was suspect as some articles/commentators have alluded to before I would not be surprised to see another leak at some point in the future...
maybe not as bad--but I think it might be possibility...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 09:16 AM

335 posts, read 375,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdm_ad View Post
Was anyone else watching the coverage of this last night? Around 9p EST MSNBC was reporting that it looked like the top kill was working. At the same time the plume had changed from black to brown so let's hope it's just mud coming out at this point.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Looks like that was mud coming out on Wed night. And now they are saying it's only mud and not oil/gas.

BP sees 'some success' with top kill method - CNN.com

Old 05-28-2010, 10:29 AM

5,634 posts, read 7,906,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Reuters has this story about how damages might be figured--
most stories up to now have been referencing the 76 MM cap which most agree won't come close to cleaning up and paying damages
Reuters story says that the Clean Water act sets a fine based on level of damages and amount of pollutant--as in 43K per BARRELL of oil that entered US waters--
Special report: Civil fine in Gulf spill could be $4,300 barrel | Reuters

clause was added after the Exxon Valdez disaster to ensure culpable party would pay for end-result clean up--

should be interesting--wonder if BP is already considering how to file bankruptcy to get out of this...
AND don't know how it will relate to any other negligence involved by say Halliburton...or Transocean who may be proved negligent--
don't you know EPA attorneys would love to get ahold of Dick Cheeeney...
of course this all has to be proven in court of law--and a Federal court--
not necessarily the one in Houston that BP wants to oversee this--since they have a friendly relationship there I am sure...

and reading all of the article I saw that Joe Liberman was the one responsible for lifting the cap on fines--I can't believe he did that but I guess he actually had a conscience back then in 1990
The solution is simple, find the poorest of all the companies (say the maker of the valve) fully responsible, and let them go bankrupt. Then everyone else is off the hook to do it all again!

Old 05-28-2010, 12:51 PM

151 posts, read 349,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldensTimes2 View Post
Normanguy45 and Lynne4T, I can feel and understand your frustration.

I live in New England and although we aren't boycotting, picketing, etc I can tell you that we sickened by the disaster and following it closely. We talk about it at home and work. It is heartbreaking to think of how this disaster effects our wildlife, ecosystem, and those who live near, and are directly affected by the spill.

I can tell you that many of us are contributing to those agencies that are working to clean up the spill. I know, that' s not the answer and it won't prevent future disasters but I'm not sure protesting and boycotting will help. I can't see myself taking a bike to work (28 miles of highway) instead of using a gas powered car.

What all of us can do it become more politely active on a local level and letting our lawmakers know how we feel. Maybe that can help to prevent future disasters.

Where are the American citizens on a lot of today's issues? I am not old enough to have been a part of the nation changing events dozens of years ago but I have studied history and the American people used to have a concern for it's country and we used to make a stand when things needed to be changed. As a young 30-something American citizen I have no faith in our government to do the right thing anymore, from the viewpoint of someone who knows little about politics all I see are corupt high paid politicians who aren't willing to go against the norm and make a stand to bring our nation back to the respectable place it once was. Maybe I am nieve and know nothing about politics but if we really are a free country and the citizens of this country are the ones who have the choice on how to live then why don't we have people in office who work for US, not themselves? The people of this country need to gather and take control of things again.
I guess the destruction of our oceans and our planet are of no concern to politicians in high office since they haven't decided to step in at all.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:31 PM

14,505 posts, read 26,616,585 times
well the last one is really off-topic

Old 05-29-2010, 08:06 AM

1,048 posts, read 1,452,403 times
Looking at these pictures make me sick to my stomach. I can only imagine what things will look like if/when a hurricane rips through the gulf....

Oil reaches Louisiana shores - The Big Picture - Boston.com

Another video that shows what's going on UNDER the surface!

YouTube - BP Oilpocalypse Creates Underwater Nightmare

Old 06-02-2010, 05:54 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,435,951 times
AP - In Florida, officials confirmed an oil sheen about nine miles from the famous white sands of Pensacola beach. Crews shored up miles of boom and prepared for the mess to make landfall as early as Wednesday.
"It's inevitable that we will see it on the beaches," said Keith Wilkins, deputy chief of neighborhood and community services for Escambia County.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:00 AM

879 posts, read 1,033,389 times
well this almost made me laugh *sigh*
Stop Motion Verbosity BP is actually helping us.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:19 AM

385 posts, read 691,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
well this almost made me laugh *sigh*
Stop Motion Verbosity BP is actually helping us.
Not finding the humor in it. *sigh* I am sick sick sick over it as our hundreds of thousands of other gulf residents. Boycott BP, Boycott their subsideries- ARCO,
Castrol.

Here is a link with some volunteer suggestions for oil affected wildlife
How to volunteer with oil-affected wildlife - Bay News 9 (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2010/5/3/614616.html - broken link)

Old 06-02-2010, 08:28 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,388,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
AP - In Florida, officials confirmed an oil sheen about nine miles from the famous white sands of Pensacola beach. Crews shored up miles of boom and prepared for the mess to make landfall as early as Wednesday.
"It's inevitable that we will see it on the beaches," said Keith Wilkins, deputy chief of neighborhood and community services for Escambia County.
I suppose the campaign to attract tourists to the panhandle beaches was wishful thinking.

The latest meteorological report indicated that the oil could continue to circulate within the current parameters rather than being swept into the Loop that would take it around the Keys and up the Atlantic coast, but they can't be certain of much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area