Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 12:40 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,327,994 times

Advertisements

I am sure nobody is going to continue to pursue the undertones of political commentary I sense simmering here.

If so, I guess everyone on Earth should lift their ban against discussing politics and religion at holiday meals.

The point is, of course...

...what's the point? It just gets in the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 04:38 AM

32 posts, read 52,505 times
I want to believe as much as any of you that this oil spill won't have devastating effects in SW FL as I personally intend(ed) to move there and enjoy the blessings it offers. I loved my experiences there on the gorgeous Siesta Key beaches, hanging out at St. Armands Circle, hanging out at Sharky's in Venice.

If I lived there, I'd want to know what the possible effects might be on my livelihood, my property, my enjoyment of the natural beauty. Without trying, I get messages sent my way. This is another that came recently -- not posting this article to upset anyone (though it brings fear up for me), be negative or doom and gloom. I don't sense this is probable but is it possible? Not just one professional is commenting about the potential. Whether you agree or disagree, don't like that I post this, I send blessings for your safety, peace, and well-being.

How the ultimate BP Gulf disaster could kill millions

How the ultimate BP Gulf disaster could kill millions | Republic Broadcasting Network

Old 06-30-2010, 05:07 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,022,208 times
Oh crap! I guess I need to move to California! Oh wait!!!! That place is going to fall in the ocean!! I forgot!

You know this is great! I don't have to be schizo and dream up disasters! I can search the web and find some nut that has made video I can watch. LOL

Old 06-30-2010, 06:04 PM

4,892 posts, read 14,085,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Oh crap! I guess I need to move to California! Oh wait!!!! That place is going to fall in the ocean!! I forgot!

You know this is great! I don't have to be schizo and dream up disasters! I can search the web and find some nut that has made video I can watch. LOL
BH, why do you not think I'm not living in Laguna Nigel...

Old 06-30-2010, 08:29 PM

385 posts, read 1,154,284 times
I am not going to comment on this particular video, but it would be wise to expose oneself to different media outlets, especially on the internet- (not necessarily this one) as most of our news networks, not to mention the AP, are completely owned, controlled, & filtered by one entity.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:35 PM

192 posts, read 495,034 times
There's some good news in here for the Sarasota area, unfortunately, not so good for the keys and southeast FL:

"The model, released by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, shows Florida's southeastern coast has a 61 percent to 80 percent chance of seeing oil by Aug. 18. The area from the Keys north to the Fort Lauderdale area could see sheen, tar balls or other oil remnants within 20 miles of the coastline, the model shows.........other parts of the state show a low probability of oil. The state's western coast has a 20 percent chance or lower of seeing oil."

Model shows high chance of oil from BP spill hitting South Florida | NOLA.com

Old 07-03-2010, 03:50 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,511,430 times
FYI--
article that I don't know if anyone here has seen about BP and its cleanup efforts on beach at Grand Isle LA--beach were most news reporters were not allowed to really investigate/watch/interview/report on the clean up going on because BP and the local law enforcement kept them off the beach as much as possible

apparently reporter went back and saw that BP had covered the oil on the beach with new sand--
and where the surf had been washing in and out the new sand/oil mess/old sand is becoming pretty visible...

the sand used to top the oil debris is not the same type of sand--much finer and so not as heavy and does not cling together as well when the surf comes in...

underneath the new sand--when the reporter touched the dried oil--said it was like roadtopping--like asphalt--
solidified--

the coast guard and the states are letting BP get away with doing what IT wants vs what is legitimate cleaning

Old 07-03-2010, 04:25 PM

385 posts, read 1,154,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
FYI--
article that I don't know if anyone here has seen about BP and its cleanup efforts on beach at Grand Isle LA--beach were most news reporters were not allowed to really investigate/watch/interview/report on the clean up going on because BP and the local law enforcement kept them off the beach as much as possible

apparently reporter went back and saw that BP had covered the oil on the beach with new sand--
and where the surf had been washing in and out the new sand/oil mess/old sand is becoming pretty visible...

the sand used to top the oil debris is not the same type of sand--much finer and so not as heavy and does not cling together as well when the surf comes in...

underneath the new sand--when the reporter touched the dried oil--said it was like roadtopping--like asphalt--
solidified--

the coast guard and the states are letting BP get away with doing what IT wants vs what is legitimate cleaning
I can't seem to find it now (wonder why) but there was footage a few days ago of a reporter out on one of the panhandle beaches that was "cleaned". The beach looked clean, but after dark he went out with a black light and walked it, oil everywhere showing up as oranges patches, just everywhere he looked.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:16 PM

192 posts, read 495,034 times
Whether you believe a boycott is the answer or not, for those of you on Facebook, joining BoycottBP will at least send a message. The higher the membership goes, the more they (BP, government) will realize how concerned we are. There are currently over 700,000 members.

OT, but interesting note, Lady GaGa has more Facebook fans (over 10 million) than President Obama....... That's the most fans for a living person!

Old 07-04-2010, 10:00 AM

77 posts, read 244,484 times
It's very simple... anyone living in and around the Gulf area need to get out of there NOW.

Rather than go on and on about this, I suggest you search youtube "Gulf oil". You will then understand the magnitude of what we are dealing with. The lame stream media is under-reporting and even sugar coating this disaster.

Crist should be removed from office. There is a recent video where he tells people the beaches are perfectly safe and to come and swim in the water. He reminds me of Mayor Vaughn in the movie "Jaws".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area