Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 12:05 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times

Advertisements

nice to know that the Federal limit on damages companies are responsible for does not apply to states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 06:57 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,909,231 times
Just FYI, for those of you who spend time at the beaches, have a bird identification book handy and want to help...
The Florida Audubon Society posted this message for Gulf coast beaches:

Audubon is working with the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology to recruit citizen scientists to help document bird distribution at Gulf coast sites, and the effects of the oil spill.
We encourage birders in Florida and along the Gulf coast to record your observations of birds and submit this information to www.ebird.org, a real-time, online checklist program. This vital documentation of the location and abundance of birds will help us identify high priority areas for protection and restoration as the oil comes ashore. Documenting sites used by birds as the situation evolves will also help Audubon and Cornell scientists assess the effects of this spill on Gulf coast habitats. This is critical to providing a sound foundation for restoration and long-term protection.
The eBird team is developing tools that will allow us to feed live data from birders into educational material on the spill. Click here for the initiative protocol and directions on signing up for ebird.
Please Note: Be sure that your observation activities pose no danger to nesting birds and other wildlife, or to yourself. Please do not disturb birds or damage habitat when surveying birds. It is critical that birders stay out of nesting areas for plovers, shorebirds, terns, wading birds and other colonial nesters. Counting them from a distance can still provide valuable information on the importance of these sections of the Gulf Coast. For your own protection, leave the area at once if you smell or see oil.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:26 PM

151 posts, read 557,560 times
But back to the question at hand....has anyone in the area seen any of the impact of the oil spill on local beaches? Any oil, dead fish, dirty birds, etc.....?????

Old 05-08-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelagardner View Post
But back to the question at hand....has anyone in the area seen any of the impact of the oil spill on local beaches? Any oil, dead fish, dirty birds, etc.....?????

I don't think comments on preparation by state and local government and official recovery teams is off topic.

The OP's original question was:
"Any talk about the oil spill making it's way over to you guys in a couple weeks or is that pretty much out of the question?".

By providing the information I am able to access, I think it's giving the idea about what is going on here in our area. And that, no, we are not out of the woods.

I see you are posting from the state of Washington, so maybe you're not aware that a lot of forum posters from our area volunteer in some capacity. And that our area is known for its outstanding volunteerism.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:41 AM

Tar balls have begun washing up on Dauphin Island, three miles off the Alabama mainland at the mouth of Mobile Bay and much farther east than the oil slick along the Louisiana coast. Dauphin Island is about 30-35 miles from the Florida state line.

Last edited by Col.W.Deering; 05-09-2010 at 07:57 AM..

Old 05-09-2010, 11:12 PM

151 posts, read 557,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
I don't think comments on preparation by state and local government and official recovery teams is off topic.

The OP's original question was:
"Any talk about the oil spill making it's way over to you guys in a couple weeks or is that pretty much out of the question?".

By providing the information I am able to access, I think it's giving the idea about what is going on here in our area. And that, no, we are not out of the woods.

I see you are posting from the state of Washington, so maybe you're not aware that a lot of forum posters from our area volunteer in some capacity. And that our area is known for its outstanding volunteerism.

I wasn't implying that those comments were off topic, I think it's great that there are a lot of people who are concerned and involved in the community and keeping it clean. It's one of the reasons we love the area so much, everyone is so friendly (like Washington ). As are most of the people that post in your forums--I have been keeping tabs on the Sarasota forum for quite some time. I read each and every post in this thread and it's great that people are so involved and are welcoming to speak their minds and opinions.
But like most soon to be transplants in the area we are totally head over heals in love with the beaches and since we are not in the region quite yet we are really curious to see if or how the oil spill will impact the region physically, socially, economically, etc. If we were there, we would help if/when it was needed. Basically what I am curious to know is if anyone is seeing anything in the SW Florida region. I see it has hit LA and Alabama---I think one person mentioned a smell in the air.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:18 AM

A really good website for keeping track of the oil spill....
Gulf Oil Spill Tracker

The nearest incident to Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice was reported at Palm Harbor, just north of St. Petersburg on May 12th. The smell of oil in the air at that location is still under investigation.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:32 AM

329 posts, read 771,254 times
you can also check roffs.com for view

Old 05-12-2010, 11:05 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times
regarding the current oil disaster...my husband said he was watching something today or yesterday and an environmental biologist said that the dispersal agent they are spreading on the oil to make it break up into smaller oil droplets (and I don't understand why they would want to do that)
but anyway that agent is more toxic than the oil itself
that it will kill any coral that it comes in contact with
that if it gets into the Carribean or the Keys, you can kiss that coral goodbye---

was talking about all the cancer meds that are made from coral and can't be duplicated with other chemicals...
the coral has been here almost as long as the oil underground...

and the US has signed wavers for environmental investigation on like 30 new well drill applications...

Old 05-13-2010, 08:10 AM

Which begs the question...Why can't the Sunshine State be the leader in solar power?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area