U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 04:31 PM

28,792 posts, read 16,778,023 times
Default Oil Slick

Any talk about the oil spill making it's way over to you guys in a couple weeks or is that pretty much out of the question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 05:21 PM

3,737 posts, read 2,867,027 times
I'm sure that our esteemed Sen Nelson can hardly wait so he can get more TV time and folks from Mote Marine are already off shore looking for the slightest sheen of oil.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:32 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,380,307 times
If the current travels in a circular motion, we could see signs of the oil spill here. Fishermen and all boaters are to report seeing any signs of oil. It's nesting season for all the birds and turtles where the spill is currently coming ashore, some which are already endangered species. My heart breaks for these beautiful creatures, as much as the men who lost their lives in the initial explosion.

Here's a link to an interactive map.
Associated Press Interactive

Here's a link to the National Audubon Society and ways you can help.
National Audubon Society: Gulf Coast Disaster - How You Can Help

Old 05-01-2010, 08:56 AM

157 posts, read 154,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
If the current travels in a circular motion, we could see signs of the oil spill here. Fishermen and all boaters are to report seeing any signs of oil. It's nesting season for all the birds and turtles where the spill is currently coming ashore, some which are already endangered species. My heart breaks for these beautiful creatures, as much as the men who lost their lives in the initial explosion.

Here's a link to an interactive map.
Associated Press Interactive

Here's a link to the National Audubon Society and ways you can help.
National Audubon Society: Gulf Coast Disaster - How You Can Help

You all have a wonderful organization on City Island, Save Our Seabirds. They are in the process of gathering supplies and preparing to travel to assist in bird clean-up. To donate money or supplies, or to volunteer, go to their website: www.saveourseabirds.org. I have visited their facility and they do great things (they are located at the site of the former Pelican Man Bird Sanctuary). If I was already living down there, I would be over there in a heartbeat asking what I could do to help with this unfolding tragedy.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:20 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,380,307 times
Hundreds of migrant songbirds have been washing up on Pinellas County Beaches at Pass-a-Grille, Upham and St. Pete Beach..

FWC has also been collecting dead songbirds and seabirds off beaches in Okaloosa and Walton Counties for the past 4 days.

Florida DEP has received reports of a persistent odor along the West coast of Florida. Pinellas County environmental management has collected air samples and their analysis should be made public later this week. People have described the odor as "a strong smell like color crayons or kerosene". At this point any connection between the dead birds, oil spill and odor reports is still speculation,.

Just FYI. This is a news wire from SPAS (St. Petersburg Audubon Society) on 4/27/10.
I know there are a few boaters that post regularly, so just wanted to let you know somethings going on out there, even if it is currently north of us.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:12 PM

28,792 posts, read 16,778,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Ohio View Post
You all have a wonderful organization on City Island, Save Our Seabirds. They are in the process of gathering supplies and preparing to travel to assist in bird clean-up. To donate money or supplies, or to volunteer, go to their website: www.saveourseabirds.org. I have visited their facility and they do great things (they are located at the site of the former Pelican Man Bird Sanctuary). If I was already living down there, I would be over there in a heartbeat asking what I could do to help with this unfolding tragedy.
I remember asking my highschool wrestling coach how you got out of a specific hold which ususally resulted in you losing. His response, "Don't get in it in the first place."

A huge amount of effort put into wiping off a certain number of birds is noble, but think of all the other creatures in the habitat that are impacted.

I would consider supporting groups that lobby for better or safer drilling procedures and having more resources to stop a spill or clean it up PRIOR to making landfall.

Otherwise, any postive effort is appreciated.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:34 PM

157 posts, read 154,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I remember asking my highschool wrestling coach how you got out of a specific hold which ususally resulted in you losing. His response, "Don't get in it in the first place."

A huge amount of effort put into wiping off a certain number of birds is noble, but think of all the other creatures in the habitat that are impacted.

I would consider supporting groups that lobby for better or safer drilling procedures and having more resources to stop a spill or clean it up PRIOR to making landfall.

Otherwise, any postive effort is appreciated.

Boy, don't know if you intended to sound condescending, but you did. I happen to think that "wiping off a certain number of birds" is well worth the effort.

Obviously safer drilling practices are needed--duh. But we need to tend to the immediate impact of this incident. There is going to be a tragic impact on the millions of migrating birds in this area, some of which are endangered or, as in the case of the brown pelican, just recently taken off the endangered species list. Certainly the sea mammals, wildlife in the contaminated areas, fisheries, etc. are all going to be hit hard. Not to mention the loss of livelihood for thousands of people. Many groups will be lending a hand to help in any way they can. I mentioned Save Our Seabirds since it is located in Sarasota and is a very well respected organization willing to spend time and resources in helping with this disaster.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:06 PM

5,617 posts, read 7,630,494 times
I find it hard to believe, and appauling that no one had a solid plan on what to do if something like this ever happened. It has to happen eventually! No major oil field has gone on without some kind of major leak, terrorist attack or otherwise.

The administration wants to point the finger at BP, but who is really responsible for protecting our country?!? Remember, it is this administration that has actually engaged in pushing and approving legislation for more off-shore drilling. Without any solid plan for how to solve a problem like this when it actually happens! Does anyone think this is stupid - or what?! And, really it doesn't matter who the party in-charge actually is. I find it a criminal act that those people involved have had no plan, or back-up plan, or back-up to the back-up plan in place to ensure something like this cannot ruin the gulf, endanger hundreds of species, put untold numbers of businesses out, and add to the number of unemployed. Not to mention the health consequences a spill like this can have on the health of the population. It is estimated that 30% of the seafood we eat has some origin or is co-dependent upon the gulf environment!

All the bank accounts and assets of BP should be siezed to ensure that as much of the clean-up cost can be covered by thier assest, including those put out of work, and pay for those necessarily employed to perform this clean-up. This should be done before one dime of tax payer money is expended. They caused THIS mess, and should be penalized to the fullest extent so that ALL costs are covered by thier assests first! THEN, maybe the other oil companies will make sure they have all precautions covered so that things like this never happen again. Certainly, if they had spent adequate funds making sure they could stop and totally mitigate such a disaster would not have put a tiny dent in the company profits if they had made the slightest effort to be prepared for such a dumb, but sure to happen catastrophy!!

This is WAY WAY WAY worse than wiping some oil off a few birds! This is criminal!

Last edited by Big House; 05-02-2010 at 04:15 PM..

Old 05-02-2010, 05:15 PM

9,830 posts, read 15,318,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I find it hard to believe, and appauling that no one had a solid plan on what to do if something like this ever happened. It has to happen eventually! No major oil field has gone on without some kind of major leak, terrorist attack or otherwise.

The administration wants to point the finger at BP, but who is really responsible for protecting our country?!? Remember, it is this administration that has actually engaged in pushing and approving legislation for more off-shore drilling. Without any solid plan for how to solve a problem like this when it actually happens! Does anyone think this is stupid - or what?! And, really it doesn't matter who the party in-charge actually is. I find it a criminal act that those people involved have had no plan, or back-up plan, or back-up to the back-up plan in place to ensure something like this cannot ruin the gulf, endanger hundreds of species, put untold numbers of businesses out, and add to the number of unemployed. Not to mention the health consequences a spill like this can have on the health of the population. It is estimated that 30% of the seafood we eat has some origin or is co-dependent upon the gulf environment!

All the bank accounts and assets of BP should be siezed to ensure that as much of the clean-up cost can be covered by thier assest, including those put out of work, and pay for those necessarily employed to perform this clean-up. This should be done before one dime of tax payer money is expended. They caused THIS mess, and should be penalized to the fullest extent so that ALL costs are covered by thier assests first! THEN, maybe the other oil companies will make sure they have all precautions covered so that things like this never happen again. Certainly, if they had spent adequate funds making sure they could stop and totally mitigate such a disaster would not have put a tiny dent in the company profits if they had made the slightest effort to be prepared for such a dumb, but sure to happen catastrophy!!

This is WAY WAY WAY worse than wiping some oil off a few birds! This is criminal!
I feel the same way. Makes me want to shoot somebody.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:55 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,033,149 times
WHat I find very upsetting here from a FInancial standpoint (Lots upsets me from a standpoint of both Nature, and people's livelihoods) is that in 1986 COngress set up an Oil Field Liability Trust Fund that capped the damages an oil company will have to pay from a spill at $75 million! Yes - that is all. That is the CAP. They DO however, have to pay all the costs of cleanup & containment.
The money for that fund comes from a tax of 8 cents per barrel, which adds one tenth of one percent to the price of oil.
That fund now has $1.6 billion. That 1.6 billion can go to companies that lost money due to the spill, such as fishermen & even hotels if they can show they've lost money due to lost travel, and governments for lost tax revenues. Is that 1.6 billion going to be enough?

What I do not know is whether there is a way around that 75mil cap so that BP & it's Subs will have to pay damages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area