Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:32 PM

100 posts, read 333,578 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

Looking to relocate to Sarasota or Bradenton either this year or next. I've been doing a lot of research on the neighborhoods. It seems as if most of the posts and online info is regarding only the safe, more upscale neighborhoods. I'm looking to buy a small home. It is okay if it is older. My number one concern is safety. I need to know what neighborhoods/areas to avoid. I know this can be controversial, but I'm just looking for safe in general. Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 06:57 AM

475 posts, read 895,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerGirl101 View Post
Hello all!

Looking to relocate to Sarasota or Bradenton either this year or next. I've been doing a lot of research on the neighborhoods. It seems as if most of the posts and online info is regarding only the safe, more upscale neighborhoods. I'm looking to buy a small home. It is okay if it is older. My number one concern is safety. I need to know what neighborhoods/areas to avoid. I know this can be controversial, but I'm just looking for safe in general. Any help is appreciated!
Moderator cut: link removed I found this site to be very helpful in comparing neighborhoods. It offers info for pay but you can get plenty for free. I only used the free info myself. Good luck ,I to am looking to relocate this year.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 08:42 AM..

Old 05-18-2010, 06:58 AM

475 posts, read 895,673 times
Moderator, Is it okay that I posted this site?

Old 05-18-2010, 08:38 AM

17,452 posts, read 38,829,694 times
I will give a very GENERAL reply, it's too difficult to get real specific without doing some major research.

anyway, in Sarasota the worst neighborhoods are Gillespie Park, Newtown and Bayou Oaks. Boundaries for these neighborhoods are downtown to the south, US 41 (the Trail) to the west) US 301 to the east, and the airport to the north. Newtown is the worst, followed by Bayou Oaks, and last Gillespie which is close to downtown but pricey and still crime filled.

In Bradenton stay away from the neighborhoods close to the Trail and near downtown. Near Cortez Road (near 41) is ESPECIALLY bad, stay way from there. North near the river is nice, and generally the further north and west you go in Bradenton the better it is. Please remember, this is in GENERAL, not everywhere is strictly bad if it falls in these boundaries.

We live in Whitfield Estates, which is north by the airport in Sarasota, but Manatee County. I love this neighborhood, it is close to either city plus close to all the great shopping/dining on University parkway. Also, easy to get to either Lido Beach or Bradenton Beach. There are some older homes in this neighborhood still available at good prices, although they have really started to sell this past year.

In Bradenton, just a mile north of us is a neighborhood called Bayshore Gardens. These are very small CB houses built in the 50's and 60's, originally for retirees, but it's near the bay. There were a lot of foreclosures there a couple years ago, so it went into a bit of a decline but I believe it's coming back again, and if you want a good deal on a convenient location on a small house I think it's a good place to look.

Good luck!

Old 05-18-2010, 02:26 PM

100 posts, read 333,578 times
keithhtt-- Thank you for your answer. I checked out that website and it's very interesting to see how the crime rates change neighborhood to neighborhood. Great info!

gypsychic--Very good info on the neighborhoods to avoid. I'm just looking for general right now. This is a great place to start! Thanks so much!

Old 05-18-2010, 04:30 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,237,865 times
I would not recommend Bayshore gardens-- it appears to be very run down and not in a very good area. My rule of thumb for Bradenton is to stay EAST..near I75 Braden river lakes is nice..or go to Palma Sola area.. Im going to give my opinion and say that most homes in Bradenton that are SMALL and cheap.. arent in good areas..

Old 05-18-2010, 04:36 PM

17,452 posts, read 38,829,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
I would not recommend Bayshore gardens-- it appears to be very run down and not in a very good area. My rule of thumb for Bradenton is to stay EAST..near I75 Braden river lakes is nice..or go to Palma Sola area.. Im going to give my opinion and say that most homes in Bradenton that are SMALL and cheap.. arent in good areas..
Sorry, but Bayshore Gardens is in a very convenient location, and near the water. It is coming back, and I definitely feel it is worth a look. My neighborhood is only a mile south, and I shop up there - it's fine.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:02 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,907,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Sorry, but Bayshore Gardens is in a very convenient location, and near the water. It is coming back, and I definitely feel it is worth a look. My neighborhood is only a mile south, and I shop up there - it's fine.
I have friends who live in Bayshore Gardens, and they have never had a problem there. It reminds me of the South Venice neighborhood in many respects. Not a bad area by any means.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 PM

4,891 posts, read 14,079,913 times
As a former realtor, when people used to ask that question, it was a "loaded" one...I would hate to name a neighborhood "bad" and then have it come back at me...

Having lived all over the Bradenton/Sarasota area for the past 20 years, I certainly have my own opinions & tend to keep them to myself these days. If you'd like to hear mine, PM me.

One example comes to mind: Palm Avenue, where I used to live before I moved over to the Hillview area, used to be considered "bad" fifteen years ago...now, even in this economy, because it's "downtown" the sales/rents are still high...go figure and between Ringling & Mound used to be ghetto way back when...now it's mostly high rise condos & small apt. buildings with a few houses intermixed...

Old 03-02-2012, 09:34 AM

55 posts, read 169,901 times
Hi,

Im relocating (live in Florida now)..I drove through Bayshore Gardens, and liked some parts actually, even Whitfield as well. Homes seem to be in my price range. Can someone tell me the taxes or any other information as opposed to Kensington Park in Sarasota. I think I have narrowed it down to these two areas. Im looking 70-90,000 range. Also..not for nothing, but I have 2 large dogs...so I looking for more of laid back area that I won't get any bad vibes (aka shut that darn dog up.....yada yada) ...I like a cultural neighborhood whereas everyone is cool. Im a middle age working class person..no kids so not looking for an kiddie areas either.. I pretty much keep to myself... high HOA restrictions is not my cup of tea, and I do keep a nice lawn cuz I like to garden... also may be looking for a realtor who is willing to work w/ me in my price range pre-approved w/ conventional already have a job ect.. hey thanks a lot for your time..I found some great info on here, and appreciate the posts... oh and one last thing... I'm not used to looking at older homes...can anyone give me heads up in what to look for , or not to look for? I love the older style but a liitle concerned with what the inspection might not find..... thanks a bunch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area