Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 11:08 AM

879 posts, read 1,945,176 times

Advertisements

Hi, you've probably all seen me posting and stressing out around the board but I never introduced myself.

I'm an artist and jeweler in NY. We are relocating to Sarasota in July for lower cost of living and the Pine View School for the Gifted for our 2 children.

I'm a sculptor, dollmaker and silversmith/jeweler. Many of my supplies I purchase online but it will be easier to have some brick & mortar resources as well. Especially because I often need stuff *now* (you know, when the inspiration hits!)

I have been searching online for some resources I will need in FL. Jewelry mold maker, silver casting, art supply stores. Anyone know where I should look? Tampa? Miami?

So far I've only found local Michael's Arts & Crafts. Are there any real art supply stores like Pearl Paint or Utrecth? ( i know those are only in Ft Lauderdale and Miami)

I see that Sarasota is "artsy" and seems like a friendly place for an artist so there MUST be some great resources...please tell me this is true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 01:01 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,633,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
Hi, you've probably all seen me posting and stressing out around the board but I never introduced myself.

I'm an artist and jeweler in NY. We are relocating to Sarasota in July for lower cost of living and the Pine View School for the Gifted for our 2 children.

I'm a sculptor, dollmaker and silversmith/jeweler. Many of my supplies I purchase online but it will be easier to have some brick & mortar resources as well. Especially because I often need stuff *now* (you know, when the inspiration hits!)

I have been searching online for some resources I will need in FL. Jewelry mold maker, silver casting, art supply stores. Anyone know where I should look? Tampa? Miami?

So far I've only found local Michael's Arts & Crafts. Are there any real art supply stores like Pearl Paint or Utrecth? ( i know those are only in Ft Lauderdale and Miami)

I see that Sarasota is "artsy" and seems like a friendly place for an artist so there MUST be some great resources...please tell me this is true
My mother has a gallery in the Village Of The Arts, and is a jeweler. She works with glass mostly and doesn't do much casting anymore but said that there is one store in Sarasota: Jewelry Design Center

They have a very limited selection of supplies, and are quite expensive from what I understand. She generally orders from Rio Grande, but did find a supplier in Tampa at one time many years ago. Unfortunately she doesn't remember the name but you should be able to search in the Tampa area and find them if they still exist.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:18 PM

thanks skunk workz. i use rio grande too. i am trying to get mentally prepared for what to expect there. i will contact that school and see if they know of any casting houses in FL. I've never heard of the Village of the Arts. Looks neat, is one of these galleries your mom's? Village of the Arts - Bradenton, Florida I will have to learn more about that.

I know I can do everything i need online, fly back to NYC if needed for casting and molds, etc BUT besides my normal artwork i am the kind of artist that wakes up and decides i have to, for example- i dunno, maybe start screenprinting shirts - RIGHT NOW. lol That means i'll need wood, silk, photo emulsion goo, fabric paint and a squeegee STAT! lol So, having access to art supplies NOW is always my goal. IF i wait for the supplies to come by mail sometimes the whim has passed and I am on to the next project. Some of those crafty whims can be met at Michael's although they are pretty low on my totem pole of favorites.

The biggie I am trying to solve is casting though, I don't plan to do it myself and I prefer not to ship waxes and have to pay shipping/insurance etc for the castings.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:38 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,633,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
thanks skunk workz. i use rio grande too. i am trying to get mentally prepared for what to expect there. i will contact that school and see if they know of any casting houses in FL. I've never heard of the Village of the Arts. Looks neat, is one of these galleries your mom's? Village of the Arts - Bradenton, Florida I will have to learn more about that.

I know I can do everything i need online, fly back to NYC if needed for casting and molds, etc BUT besides my normal artwork i am the kind of artist that wakes up and decides i have to, for example- i dunno, maybe start screenprinting shirts - RIGHT NOW. lol That means i'll need wood, silk, photo emulsion goo, fabric paint and a squeegee STAT! lol So, having access to art supplies NOW is always my goal. IF i wait for the supplies to come by mail sometimes the whim has passed and I am on to the next project. Some of those crafty whims can be met at Michael's although they are pretty low on my totem pole of favorites.

The biggie I am trying to solve is casting though, I don't plan to do it myself and I prefer not to ship waxes and have to pay shipping/insurance etc for the castings.
For general art supplies Art and Frame in Sarasota has lots of stuff. In2Art.com, Art Supplies, Discount Art Supplies and Art Materials for every kind of art project.

There are also some specialized shops for stained glass, etc, but no really big stores that cover a lot of different areas.

Unfortunately I don't have any casting resources, since my mom did single pieces and cast them herself.

You might be able to find more resources between the Sarasota and Manatee arts groups.

Sarasota County Arts Council

ArtCenter Manatee - Manatee County visual arts center

Old 05-19-2010, 01:45 PM

thanks. i'll keep looking into it

Old 05-19-2010, 02:28 PM

385 posts, read 1,154,366 times
Art & Frame in Sarasota for art supplies nest to Sarasota High has huge selection...it's the go to shop for all the Ringling students.

Sarasota Municipal Auditorium has a lot of gem & jewelry shows...maybe find a vendor there? E-Gov Services - City of Sarasota

Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,030,663 times
We just Closed on a place in sarasota, and my S.O. is an Artist & a Beader. In driving or walking around the downtown area, she wasn't thrilled with the art supply stores we saw. But there was one we did not get into I think on Fruitville that looked promising.
She usually Mail Orders stuff from Dick Blick, and they've been very prompt. Of course, not same day. :-) She often finds them better than the places we go to in NYC. Of course, that didn;t stop her from sending me on a mission to NYC to get a specific paper she needed to finsih a project THAT DAY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area