Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:29 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,146 times

Advertisements

Lots of canopy at Myakka SP. So, the beating rays won't be too bad. As for humidity, it's always best to go in the morning or before sunset anywhere in the summer. Bugs don't bother me for some reason, so I can't comment on them.
I love Myakka SP. It's one of the greatest place, if not the greatest place to visit here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 02:26 PM

475 posts, read 900,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Bring bug spray.
Thanks, That was my next question!

Old 05-26-2010, 03:42 AM

14 posts, read 44,358 times
If you guys love Gators go to Gatorland in Orlando, they'll even let you sit on one

Old 05-27-2010, 06:39 AM

268 posts, read 1,067,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distantarray View Post
If you guys love Gators go to Gatorland in Orlando, they'll even let you sit on one
They sell alligator tail meat in the Wal-Mart here and that's as close as I want to be to one.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:59 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Hi folks, my FW (future wife - is that an accurate forum abbreviation?) and I are going to be in Sarasota at the end of March. We will be kicking off our roadtrip honeymoon by taking in the tail end of Orioles' spring training as we are both big fans. We will then be heading to Tampa for opening day against the Rays.

We'd prefer to camp instead of stay in hotels - Myakka looks really nice on the website and these comments. I wondered what the weather will be like at the end of March - rainy?

Any other outdoors suggestions while we're in the area? FW has led canoe trips in the Everglades before but I've hardly ever been to Florida.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:45 AM

655 posts, read 1,127,767 times
Such good information on this thread! We will be visiting in June and now I want to bring my kids to Myakka one of the days. One question, is it too much for two year old to handle? We will have four kids with us (8, 6 2 and 7 months) so we need to all be able to have fun.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:27 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,463,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
Such good information on this thread! We will be visiting in June and now I want to bring my kids to Myakka one of the days. One question, is it too much for two year old to handle? We will have four kids with us (8, 6 2 and 7 months) so we need to all be able to have fun.
If the kids are not into nature and lots of walking they will not enjoy it. There are hiking trails, canoes, and mostly just walking around enjoying the wilderness. There is more wildlife in the park than most people see. Everything from gators, eagles, hawks, herons, deer, gopher tortoise, egrets, ibis, different woodpecker species and on and on. If you are into animals in the wild it is a super cool place to see them.

I would keep a close eye if they were my kids, gators and venomous snakes could be a danger. Always be alert for what animals you cant see.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Hi folks, my FW (future wife - is that an accurate forum abbreviation?) and I are going to be in Sarasota at the end of March. We will be kicking off our roadtrip honeymoon by taking in the tail end of Orioles' spring training as we are both big fans. We will then be heading to Tampa for opening day against the Rays.

We'd prefer to camp instead of stay in hotels - Myakka looks really nice on the website and these comments. I wondered what the weather will be like at the end of March - rainy?

Any other outdoors suggestions while we're in the area? FW has led canoe trips in the Everglades before but I've hardly ever been to Florida.
If you head out SR70 east there is a campground just before the little bridge that goes into Arcadia. Before the campground is a great canoe outfitter, they bring you up river in a bus 20 miles then you spend the day leisurely paddling back. My wife and I used go there all the time, makes for a great relaxing day.

There are really shallow spots in the Peace river we used to dig for fossils at, we found a few half mammoth teeth over the years . If you want to check that out send me a DM and I will forward a mapquest for you so you can find it.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:14 PM

440 posts, read 1,052,427 times
I don't think the airboat would work for a 2 y.o. It's open with just a canopy- no life jackets if I remember correctly. I'd take them to Jungle World- It's kind of corny. But the little ones can run around in a safe location, would probably love the parrots and feeding the flamingos. There is an alligator up close. It's like stepping back in time to the 50's (oops I'm showing my age)

Old 02-26-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post

Directions to Canoe Outpost Peace River - Canoe Outpost Peace River

That is for the canoe outpost, I didnt know you could do overnight trips with them, I may come with you guys!!! Have fun and if you find any fossils, dont tell the loser at the check out of canoe outpost. She tried to take one of the mammoth teeth we scored, she said it was property of the state. We had given it to my buddies son so I was a little Angry to say the least. They try to scare you into giving the fossils to them and then they sell them . We have a freind that found the bottom jaw to a Sabre tooth cat out there in the same spot we dig. Tons of history to uncover!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area