U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-25-2010, 09:11 AM

88 posts, read 190,608 times

Advertisements

Planning to drive up to to Anna Maria Island for Memorial with the hubby. We figured we'll bring our bikes but is there anything else we should make sure to see? Where's the best place to eat ? (we'd be looking for good fresh "beach" food like grouper sandwiches, etc but not touristy)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 09:59 AM

169 posts, read 202,359 times
The Sandbar is a good place to eat,right on the beach.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:11 PM

362 posts, read 910,916 times
We enjoyed eating out on the two piers, City Pier and Rod and Reel. Rustic, basic food, good value, very relaxing. Had dinner at one and breakfast at the other.

We also had a nice dinner with a sundown view at Beach House Restaurant, which also had some entertainment. Couldn't get into the Sandbar - way too crowded at sundown.

Mr. Bones is fun too if you like cold beer and BBQ type food.

There really are a lot of choices. I'm not sure where the locals go but we never felt like out- of-towners.

Rhys

Old 05-25-2010, 01:32 PM

4,228 posts, read 8,248,008 times
If you want local; go to the Starfish Co. over in Cortez, just east of the Cortez bridge.

On AMI proper, Rod & Reel.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:33 PM

Thanks All! We're Floridians so we want fresh! Love love love fresh seafood but when it's bad it's reallly bad so I appreciate the recommendations. I've heard that the Sandbar is hard to get into since it gets so crowded. Would definitely be interested in cruising over to Starfish Co if that's where the good stuff is

Old 05-25-2010, 02:56 PM

4,228 posts, read 8,248,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIU2000 View Post
Thanks All! We're Floridians so we want fresh! Love love love fresh seafood but when it's bad it's reallly bad so I appreciate the recommendations. I've heard that the Sandbar is hard to get into since it gets so crowded. Would definitely be interested in cruising over to Starfish Co if that's where the good stuff is
I would recommend Mar Vista over either Sandbar or Beach House (yes all three are owned by Chiles Group...); MV is the best of the three by far.

Starfish rules! the seafood is fresh & it's better than SB or BH.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:00 PM

362 posts, read 910,916 times
Oh yeah, Mar Vista! Forgot all about it...that was great. Didn't realize they were commonly owned. We were outside and it started to rain a bit but didn't bother moving. Met a nice local real estate fellow there, too.

Rhys

Old 05-25-2010, 07:05 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,942,566 times
Banana Cabana is right across the street from the Beachhouse and has Macademia nut encrusted grouper that is to DIE for.. a bit pricey but not anymore than Beachhouse- very good food- super small and fun atmosphere..

Old 05-25-2010, 07:16 PM

6,770 posts, read 12,722,290 times
Sign of the Mermaid- Sign of the Mermaid Anna Maria Island Florida and Euphemia Haye- Euphemia Haye - Best Restaurant on Longboat Key, near Sarasota & Bradenton, Florida are both excellent as well.

It's kind of funny going in The Mar Vista now. When I was a kid it used to be called The Pub and it was pretty much a bait shack with cheap burgers and fries. As a kid I lived over on Hughes St right down the road and I'd ride my bike there after school to play the Pac-Man machine in the front lobby. It's come a long way since then!

You might also want to try Moore's Stone Crab Restaurant, right next to the Mar Vista. Moore's used to have a dolphin that would swim in the pen right outside the restaurant and they would feed it at various times of the day. All the kids in the village would go swimming with "Jackie" the dolphin after the restaurant closed.

Funny memories of that area

Old 05-26-2010, 08:21 AM

yum! Now just trying to decide: Starfish or Rod and Reel, hmmmmm. I heard there's now a bike path on the island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area