U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 AM

477 posts, read 790,296 times

Advertisements

Since visiting the Farmer's Market downtown, I know that is where I will buy most of our produce. But we eat fruit and veggies like crazy, so that would only last a couple of days.

Has anyone heard of or use SunCoast Organics? Suncoastorganics.net

What a concept! Beautiful organic produce delivered weekly to your door! I'd rather pick it myself out of my backyard but, hey, this looks great. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and how they like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 10:59 AM

13,454 posts, read 26,352,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachymom View Post
Since visiting the Farmer's Market downtown, I know that is where I will buy most of our produce. But we eat fruit and veggies like crazy, so that would only last a couple of days.

What a concept! Beautiful organic produce delivered weekly to your door! I'd rather pick it myself out of my backyard but, hey, this looks great. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and how they like it.
Haven't used that service, but you can go directly to Jessica's Organic Farm, they are open on Friday's. Haven't gone there myself, but I have heard GREAT things about it. There is an Amish farmstand near me where I go, not all organic, but mostly local and good.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:23 AM

879 posts, read 1,513,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachymom View Post

i will probably try it out, thanks for the link. i would still have to go to the market 2x week for more produce though lol

do you do an organic co-op at home now? here you usually sign up for a box (some people split) you pay for the season then pick up once a week.

I am going to miss my big produce store down the block but it looks like there will be options. When my in-laws retired to FL they said FL had terrible produce and that worried me, maybe you just have to look for it?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:37 AM

385 posts, read 929,573 times
There are a couple of organic produce delivery businesses here in Sarasota. One other is http://www.organicveggies.net/ I love the sound of it, but I really look forward to going to the farmers markets with husband and 4 year old. He loves it too!

I hear Jessica's is great but have not been yet. I have gone picking at the hydroponics farm and it was so fun and delicious. They do not have an organic classification but they don't use pesticides either. They have an awesome sandwich shop and yummy slushy stand too. I have been looking into buy a pasture raised grass fed steed but I really need a few neighbors to go in with me. That is way too much for just the 3 of us.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
i will probably try it out, thanks for the link. i would still have to go to the market 2x week for more produce though lol

do you do an organic co-op at home now? here you usually sign up for a box (some people split) you pay for the season then pick up once a week.

I am going to miss my big produce store down the block but it looks like there will be options. When my in-laws retired to FL they said FL had terrible produce and that worried me, maybe you just have to look for it?
I'm too embarrassed to even think about how much we go to the market every week. These two teenage boys of ours are eating machines! One is extremely healthy and wouldn't eat fast food to save his life, so he eats more fruit than anyone I have ever seen. The other is a meat freak, so buying organic for him is extra expensive. (That's why I will miss Trader Joe's so much..) The younger two eat healthy, but not enough, IMO.

I used to belong to a co-op but it wasn't organic or that great. I then ordered from Diamond Organics in CA for a long time. It was the most picture-perfect produce sent overnight, but it was just too darn expensive when the boys started getting older.

As for Florida produce, what we saw a few weeks ago at the farmer's market was beautiful...and we have never had problems while vacationing in FL. We haven't been to FL in the winter, but I can't imagine the produce being worse than what we get here in Ohio in the winter.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish View Post
There are a couple of organic produce delivery businesses here in Sarasota. One other is Green Door Organics I love the sound of it, but I really look forward to going to the farmers markets with husband and 4 year old. He loves it too!

I hear Jessica's is great but have not been yet. I have gone picking at the hydroponics farm and it was so fun and delicious. They do not have an organic classification but they don't use pesticides either. They have an awesome sandwich shop and yummy slushy stand too. I have been looking into buy a pasture raised grass fed steed but I really need a few neighbors to go in with me. That is way too much for just the 3 of us.
angelfish,

I know what you mean. We LOVE going to the farmers markets on the weekends with the family! It's so fun and also educational for the kids. Buying local is best!

Old 06-03-2010, 04:15 PM

4 posts, read 14,764 times
Hey there, BeachyMom, I use Suncoast Organics and I love it! I have to admit that I, too, just love the fun of going to the farmer's market, but I can't always guarantee I'll have time to go. And now that I mention it, if I were to buy enough veggies for the entire week I'd have too much to carry them all home!

I especially love suncoastorganics because it's NOT a csa...I get to choose whatever I want each week, even ala carte selections AND they deliver to my house! I've been absolutely thrilled every single week. Good luck!

Old 06-03-2010, 04:23 PM

4 posts, read 14,764 times
ps. I'm brand new to this message board and I love it! Who knew? Happy to have found you all!

Old 06-03-2010, 04:35 PM

7,484 posts, read 17,909,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartsrq View Post
ps. I'm brand new to this message board and I love it! Who knew? Happy to have found you all!
Just wanted to say, welcome to the board. There's tons of wonderful people on here, come on and join the fun

Old 06-04-2010, 09:59 AM

216 posts, read 607,094 times
I go to Jessica's Stand once a week- it's only open on Friday and Saturday, and it's fantastic. I've found it cheaper than the farmer's market and MUCH cheaper than Whole Foods (better quality, as well), especially on lettuce and other greens, and it's pretty great to buy produce that was picked within the hour.

I haven't heard of Suncoast Organics, but it sounds really interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area