U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 06-14-2010, 03:35 PM
 
Location: North Texas
4 posts, read 8,011 times
Reputation: 10
Arrow Advice on Moving to Savannah, GA

Hi, I'm Alyssa. I'm 22, and my fiance is 24. I'll be going to school, and he's in the Army Reserves. We're interested in moving to Savannah, so I thought I'd ask people's opinions and advice along with other specific information. Please share your knowledge if you live in the area.

I don't necessarily have to live in Savannah. I'm perfectly happy with a smaller town close enough to drive in less than 30 minutes. Honestly, I think I might prefer it. I currently live in a comfortably sized town of 6,500 people that's about 10 minutes from a city. So bringing a smaller town that's close to Savannah to my attention would be appreciated too.

He's deploying for a year in October. I'd like to move before he leaves, which would leave me alone there for a year. Is this a terribly bad idea? I have common sense about staying safe, and I also have 2 dogs that would alert me to intruders and protect me if necessary. (Australian Cattle Dog and Doberman) I refuse to purchase a gun. I don't want to live in an area where I'm not safe and have to worry all the time so if you advise against it, please direct me to a place near by that would be safe.

Is there a decent job market? Is the cost of living unreasonable?

We'll need to find a house to rent until we decide Savannah is the place for us. How accepting are realtors and the city's rules of dogs? I'd like to be able to take them on walks in parks, and I'd live in a dump before I would get rid of them to live in a nicer house because they don't allow pets.

Speaking of parks-- are there any good parks around? Natural history and wildlife fascinate me, so I would enjoy parks and other areas where I could explore and appreciate the natural beauty of the region.

My fiance loved the variety of restaurants and things to do in Denver, CO. Would he be bored in or near Savannah?

What does the real estate market look like? My fiance is interested in buying properties and leasing them to people. Would it be very difficult for him to find a bargain house to get his start?

I realize I haven't told you much about myself, but any other information you feel pertinent you are more than welcome to share. I'd love to hear all the insider information you only get from living in the area. Oh, and heat and humidity don't phase me; I'm Texan. It's winter that scares me! What are the winters like?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

-Alyssa

Last edited by alyssaindigo; 06-14-2010 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: additional information
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2010, 07:34 PM
 
2,163 posts, read 1,196,562 times
Reputation: 823
is he going to be at hunter or fort stewart?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2010, 09:11 PM
 
Location: North Texas
4 posts, read 8,011 times
Reputation: 10
Well, I'm actually not sure Mike. At the moment this is just a possibility, so I'm trying to find out as much as I can about Savannah before we make a commitment. He's in Denver at the moment, and I don't want to live in Denver because of the cold.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2010, 09:46 PM
 
2,163 posts, read 1,196,562 times
Reputation: 823
you will like savannah but you need to find out where. is he air force or army? hunter is air force and fort stewart is army. fort stewart is 30 minutes from savannah. hunter is savannah near south side. lots of military and family live in savannah or on base for hunter and in hinesville, allenhurst, walterville, richmond hill, and on base for fort stewart. plenty of housing to find and plenty to see and do for you too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2010, 09:49 PM
 
2,163 posts, read 1,196,562 times
Reputation: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssaindigo View Post
Hi, I'm Alyssa. I'm 22, and my fiance is 24. I'll be going to school, and he's in the Army Reserves. We're interested in moving to Savannah, so I thought I'd ask people's opinions and advice along with other specific information. Please share your knowledge if you live in the area.

I don't necessarily have to live in Savannah. I'm perfectly happy with a smaller town close enough to drive in less than 30 minutes. Honestly, I think I might prefer it. I currently live in a comfortably sized town of 6,500 people that's about 10 minutes from a city. So bringing a smaller town that's close to Savannah to my attention would be appreciated too.

He's deploying for a year in October. I'd like to move before he leaves, which would leave me alone there for a year. Is this a terribly bad idea? I have common sense about staying safe, and I also have 2 dogs that would alert me to intruders and protect me if necessary. (Australian Cattle Dog and Doberman) I refuse to purchase a gun. I don't want to live in an area where I'm not safe and have to worry all the time so if you advise against it, please direct me to a place near by that would be safe.

Is there a decent job market? Is the cost of living unreasonable?

We'll need to find a house to rent until we decide Savannah is the place for us. How accepting are realtors and the city's rules of dogs? I'd like to be able to take them on walks in parks, and I'd live in a dump before I would get rid of them to live in a nicer house because they don't allow pets.

Speaking of parks-- are there any good parks around? Natural history and wildlife fascinate me, so I would enjoy parks and other areas where I could explore and appreciate the natural beauty of the region.

My fiance loved the variety of restaurants and things to do in Denver, CO. Would he be bored in or near Savannah?

What does the real estate market look like? My fiance is interested in buying properties and leasing them to people. Would it be very difficult for him to find a bargain house to get his start?

I realize I haven't told you much about myself, but any other information you feel pertinent you are more than welcome to share. I'd love to hear all the insider information you only get from living in the area. Oh, and heat and humidity don't phase me; I'm Texan. It's winter that scares me! What are the winters like?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

-Alyssa
lots of parks in savannah and you can walk you dogs there, downtown is beautiful with lots of history. the park areas during day is fine. big tourest town. very accepting of outsiders.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2010, 10:04 PM
 
Location: North Texas
4 posts, read 8,011 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
you will like savannah but you need to find out where. is he air force or army? hunter is air force and fort stewart is army. fort stewart is 30 minutes from savannah. hunter is savannah near south side. lots of military and family live in savannah or on base for hunter and in hinesville, allenhurst, walterville, richmond hill, and on base for fort stewart. plenty of housing to find and plenty to see and do for you too.
Like I said, he's Army Reserve. I knew there was a large Army base, so I figured military housing wouldn't be too bad if we couldn't find anything else. Thanks for your replies!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 01:29 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,977 times
Reputation: 10
I thought Hunter was Army too. Hunter Army Air Field (HAAF). Either way, unless he has orders taking him to Stewart or Hunter and you are married, and approved to be there since he is Reserves, you won't be able to live on either base.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 02:15 PM
 
Location: North Texas
4 posts, read 8,011 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyga396 View Post
I thought Hunter was Army too. Hunter Army Air Field (HAAF). Either way, unless he has orders taking him to Stewart or Hunter and you are married, and approved to be there since he is Reserves, you won't be able to live on either base.
That's fine with me! I don't like the idea of living on base anyway. And like I said, he wants to get into real estate so we'd most likely be buying a house. I've been browsing the Savannah craigslist and have seen some promising things.

But the pet section is so depressing! There are so many posts, so many people getting rid of their pets, and once they hit the shelter they only have FIVE days to live! When I get there I'll be fostering, provided we're buying a house.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 02:35 PM
 
6,948 posts, read 15,934,590 times
Reputation: 6440
The Chatham County Animal Control does keep them for only a few days. BUT, the Humane Shelter keeps them until they are adopted or fostered. Two different agencies.

There are quite a few houses for sale in the area. You should have no problem finding one.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top