Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,202 times

Advertisements

Would just like to know everyone thoughts about this idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 09:30 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,932,349 times
Unfortunately, I don't think there are enough people in Savannah that are crazy about hockey. I wouldn't oppose it though. A professional anything would be great. Just build the darn stadium/arena first!

Old 08-06-2010, 03:51 PM

42 posts, read 116,951 times
I love hockey - used to date a Canadian with a Blackhawks tatoo and and he taught me the rules and also that the sound does not have to be on when watching on tv but you have to scream when you're at a game!

Also, heard there's a female roller derby team too in Savannah? How do I find them to watch some matches? I met the proud parents of a lady who participates while we were on a dolphin cruise this May but didn't get the info.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:17 PM

11,372 posts, read 24,346,804 times
Once a year there is a big college hockey tournament here. I think it's popular but WanderingImport is right about our population not being large enough to support a team.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:56 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,148,452 times
I'd love it. I'm missing my old minor league team, and I am planning to take a trip or two to watch some hockey. Is there a rink anywhere in the city?

I sort of doubt a team would make it. Savannah is pretty far out of the way for the SPHL, and I can't imagine any other league considering expanding in Savannah. There do seem to be a lot of northern transplants here, but I'm not sure you'd be able to build a local fanbase in a reasonable amount of time to continue operations. It may be the sort of thing that would be great 10 years down the road in Bluffton or Hardeeville as the big port in Hardeeville will be open bringing more work to the area, and it's close enough to Hilton Head to attract some fans from there that might now go to Charleston to watch the Stingrays. Plus if the RiverHawks make it in Augusta maybe the SPHL will add another expansion team in South Carolina or north Florida which would make travel to and from Savannah more in line with the league average.

I guess in the end Savannah has some transplants which goes for it. However, at the same time its too small for a league that could afford the long travel costs plus its population is a bit smaller and poorer than some SPHL teams.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:42 AM

40 posts, read 167,783 times
I would love it, too! I miss it so much and its hard to even catch a game on tv.

There was talk of an ice rink opening in Hardeeville around 278 and 95, but that never came to fruition. There is no ice in Savannah except for 4 weeks at the civic center around Christmas time. If you play, there is a league for those 4 weeks, but they do a really crappy job of setting up/keeping up the ice. There is a roller hockey league too - over at Supergoose (just off of Victory). That's where roller derby is too.

There's also a minor league hockey team in Jacksonville if you feel like travelling.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:14 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,117,918 times
I can imagine how Savannah would react to building an arena, fixing it for ice, etc, just for hockey fans. Think about the tax payers footing the bill because private enterprise would hardly take a risk here. We aren't even very good about supporting a baseball team.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:12 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,148,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I can imagine how Savannah would react to building an arena, fixing it for ice, etc, just for hockey fans. Think about the tax payers footing the bill because private enterprise would hardly take a risk here. We aren't even very good about supporting a baseball team.
Most places that have a team of the level Savannah would have have an arena with the ice making equipment put in their civic center. The team pays rent, locals can come skate on off nights, youth and adult leagues can play, Disney on Ice and other skating shows can have a tour stop in the city so that the rink serves other purposes than just a home for the hockey team which can help garner support for non-hockey fans. You can even have non-skating events on top of the ice while it is still frozen. However, most cities around Savannah's size build the rink first for the above mentioned reasons, and then if they get a team a few years down the road then it's just gravy.

If anyone's interested in what it takes to keep a minor league hockey team going in the South and an inside look at being a part of a minor league team the book Hockey Night in Dixie is great.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:16 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,932,349 times
Auburn has the right idea about it. I still say we need to move forward with the new arena though. Stupid politicians had to fund the darn jail first.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:01 AM

726 posts, read 3,592,617 times
Inline Hockey

Savannah Sting Hockey
Savannah Hockey
Supergoose Sports
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: