Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:26 AM

9 posts, read 16,380 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at this house for sale in Savannah. We are wondering about the area and if someone knows about this house. We're looking for property that can be turned in to an art studio for me when I travel the east coast painting and some additional rental space as well. But our budget is under 100K. This one would fit our budget but is it a bad area with crime activity, we wonder? it be great to fix it up looking nice ilike an Victorian style house again and get rid of the lattice. I would hate to be stuck alone in a new studio and have to worry about muggins and getting killed. I'be been living like that here south of the Atlanta area for too long.

In case the link won't work here is the address
120 West 38th Street
Savannah,GA31401

It's the corner house

REO Homes for Sale| 120 West 38th Street, Savannah, GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 01:15 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
The price maybe right, but I think you should look long and hard before you commit yourselves to this one. The area has been going downhill for a number of years. Recently, there has been some effort made to restore and enhance some property for resale. Whether this trend continues or not, is anyone's guess.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:39 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
There are quite a few artists and other interesting people living in the area. A few years ago there was a lot of activity centered around the Starland District. That energy has ebbed, due to the economy and a few over-enthusiastic house-flippers who drove up prices, but the house would be worth taking a look at.

Is the area safe? No, of course not. No place in the inner city with houses in that price range could possibly be "safe". However, it's safe enough if you take reasonable precautions.

Come down, spend a few days wandering around and talking to local people other than real estate agents. Google Starland. You can make up your own mind.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:45 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
The price maybe right, but I think you should look long and hard before you commit yourselves to this one. The area has been going downhill for a number of years. Recently, there has been some effort made to restore and enhance some property for resale. Whether this trend continues or not, is anyone's guess.
Thanks for your comments on this!

Old 08-23-2010, 01:47 PM

Default Thanks Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
There are quite a few artists and other interesting people living in the area. A few years ago there was a lot of activity centered around the Starland District. That energy has ebbed, due to the economy and a few over-enthusiastic house-flippers who drove up prices, but the house would be worth taking a look at.

Is the area safe? No, of course not. No place in the inner city with houses in that price range could possibly be "safe". However, it's safe enough if you take reasonable precautions.

Come down, spend a few days wandering around and talking to local people other than real estate agents. Google Starland. You can make up your own mind.

Thanks Ellie,

I am planning a trip to the East coast Next months. I'll stay a few days in Savannah and will take a look at the house. Don't know if they let me see the inside. I'll ask and see. I'll check out the neigberhood and talk to people.

Ginette

Old 08-23-2010, 03:05 PM

Here is the property record card. http://prc.chathamcounty.org/PDF/2-0065-22-014.pdf (broken link)

Notice the value has dropped significantly. There are several comments listed that I can't decipher. The house is also being sold "as is" which means you could be in for some expensive repairs before you're allowed to occupy it.

Make sure you hire a home inspector before you get too far into the situation. It will be money well-spent.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:07 PM

Default Omg

OMG I just looked at the crime map for Savannah on spotcrime.com and I am blown away at the number of car break-ins, thefts and even violent crime like street muggins and in brought daylight, just within a couple of month time span. It looks no different in the historc district then anywhre else. Crime all over. I'm shocked! I would never have thouhgt!
Savannah, GA Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Savannah - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Old 08-23-2010, 03:08 PM

Default Oh WOW thanks Ellie

Quote:
Here is the property record card. http://prc.chathamcounty.org/PDF/2-0065-22-014.pdf (broken link)

Notice the value has dropped significantly. There are several comments listed that I can't decipher. The house is also being sold "as is" which means you could be in for some expensive repairs before you're allowed to occupy it.

Make sure you hire a home inspector before you get too far into the situation. It will be money well-spent.
My husband was trying to find that! Thanks much.

Ginette

Old 08-23-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistMonet View Post
OMG I just looked at the crime map for Savannah on spotcrime.com and I am blown away at the number of car break-ins, thefts and even violent crime like street muggins and in brought daylight, just within a couple of month time span. It looks no different in the historc district then anywhre else. Crime all over. I'm shocked! I would never have thouhgt!
Savannah, GA Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Savannah - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here
Nice link.

If you zoom in things don't look so bad. Many of the "blue man" incidents are auto thefts and break ins. The historic district is worse than your prospective neighborhood.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Nice link.

The historic district is worse than your prospective neighborhood.

Yes that's what we said. Still it looks a lot like Atlanta, which is what I am fleeign from, try to anyway. I know nothing is crime free and perfect but this totally caught me off guard! Now I'm planning to see Savannah "on foot" alone, and my husband is probaly worreid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area