Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 10,720 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm posting appropriately. I tried to search through all the existing Savannah info on this site and haven't really found what I'm looking for. Now, I know, Savannah is dangerous and that you need to use common sense (I did find ALL the info on that but I'm wondering if there are areas downtown that are safer to live than others. I'm looking at places online so it is hard for me to gauge what the neighborhood is actually like. Is it safer to find a place north of Forsyth Park where you will pay a little bit more? I have been looking at a place that is 2 blocks south of Forsyth Park next to a SCAD building but am not sure about it. Any location advice for a girl moving cross country, who wants to live downtown, walk to classes, leave her car parked, and feel safe? I know my question may be hard to answer but any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 12:36 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Two blocks south of Forsyth could be getting into a little gray area. I don't think I would chance it. It might be great, especially if the other places on the block are good, but it's not the best. It's just hard to say. North of Forsyth would be better. Have you contacted the SCAD office to see if they have a listing of spaces available? There is at least one dormitory.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:56 AM

Thanks for your info. I'm going to be entering graduate school and won't likely live in the dorms, but good idea. I've tried contacting SCAD, but have gotten little advice. Might just have to take a leap of faith. thanks!

Old 07-05-2007, 04:26 AM

87 posts, read 310,296 times
Faith isn't what you need in Savannah, street smarts is! North of Forsyth is the best area.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:13 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
That being said, I know plenty of reasonably sane people who live in the neighborhoods immediately south of the park. Many are young professionals and long-time urban pioneers, all who own homes and love the area. Outsiders tend to think it's worse than residents do.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:48 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
The SCAD classrooms are scattered all over the place so that the chances of being able to walk to class will depend on what you are taking. Many of the students use bikes to get around. No matter where you choose, there might be a problem with walking to class. Bikes are wonderful!

You will certainly be able to find a suitable place south of Forsyth Park. Just be careful as to what is in the next block. The section is in the process of being cleaned up and revitilized, but there are still pockets of problems.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:55 AM

39 posts, read 163,622 times
Default Block by Block

The block by block neighborhood difference issue phenomenon is not unique to Savannah. We have that issue here in St. Louis and my grandmother lived in south St. Louis city for many years and just dealt with it. I don't think she ever had a burglary or a robbery, unlike me, whose suburban house was burglarized while I was on vacation. I think the earlier poster is right, that those who live there don't think it's nearly as bad as outsiders.

That being said, urban living isn't for everyone. If you choose it you have to be very aware of your surroundings and know your odds are better than most for personal crime. I happen to love urban living, but my sister is totally uncomfortable in it, so I guess it's a personal preference and comfort level.

If I were you, I'd go on Facebook and find SCAD students whose situations are similar to what you're contemplating and ask them their experience. Just a thought.

Good luck!

Old 07-08-2007, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the posts. I'm looking into an apartment that is a few blocks south of Forsyth park but is right next to a SCAD building (where there is a well lit parking lot and security). This will require me to bike, but it sounds like Savannah is very bike friendly. Unfortunately, I can't visit before I move, so I'm having to do all my researching online. I'll definitely hop on Facebook and ask some students there... good idea. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: