Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:28 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,965,337 times

Advertisements

The only thing I can think of that Savannah lacks which other cities have (except Charleston & other smaller towns) is high rises. I'm sure most people here don't mind that fact though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 11:39 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,170,138 times
Maybe she means that Savannah doesn't have a beautiful beach. Ours belongs to Tybee and you'll have to admit that, while it's cute and has a few great houses, it's not what you would call beautiful. Nice ocean but that's about it.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:27 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,965,337 times
Even the ocean water color is brown and ugly.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:32 PM

50,310 posts, read 63,868,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
WHAT are some of the "beautiful features" that other coastal cities have that Savannah lacks?! That statement is absolutely ridiculous because the exact OPPOSITE is true. Most places would kill to have what we have. PLEASE EXPLAIN!!!
Jeez. I was thinking specifically of the beautiful harbor as I drive into Charleston, for example. I wish Savannah was actually on the oceanfront, and didn't stink.

I am well aware of the unique and beautiful features of Savannah, so save your CAPSyelling. It seems like it is I who am always saying good things about Savannah, and you longtimers are always griping.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Is this a sure thing or a possibility? Also, are you willing to reveal your source?
I cannot be too specific, since I work in an environment of confidentiality. But the source is a local person who works for one of the organizations involved in the project.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:33 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,901,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Jeez. I was thinking specifically of the beautiful harbor as I drive into Charleston, for example. I wish Savannah was actually on the oceanfront, and didn't stink.

I am well aware of the unique and beautiful features of Savannah, so save your CAPSyelling. It seems like it is I who am always saying good things about Savannah, and you longtimers are always griping.
Well, I can agree GENTLEARTS (not yelling) that a beautiful harbor or better beaches might be nice. But then, Savannah wouldn't be Savannah. It would be Jacksonville or God forbid, Charleston -- two cities with direct ocean access that are losing major port traffic to Savannah, a city 18 miles inland. HMMM ...

There's a very good reason why James Oglethorpe sailed up river 18 miles and chose a high bluff with firm ground to build this city: Georgia has lousy seaside real estate. So what if we're not Myrtle Beach? Or even Hilton Head? That was never going to happen with the geography of Georgia's 100-mile coast -- salt marshes, wide rivers, unspoiled spits of sand called islands. Today, it's one of the world's most pristine and vital ecosystems, a habitat for native species, a sportsman's paradise, a resource for industry like shipping and those stinky paper mills.

AND ANOTHER THING: Charleston is on the ocean, at sea level. New Orleans is 100 winding miles up river from the Gulf, but is still BELOW sea level. Both were nearly wiped out by hurricanes in recent years. The Georgia Bight, which curves 60 miles inland from the continental shelf, steers most storms away from us. Of course, it's also what gives us that warm, dirty ocean water. And the highest tides on the eastern seaboard. I found an article online that explains it better -- and will make you appreciate what we've got more, I think. Here's an excerpt:

Though it's only 100 miles long, the Georgia coast is more pristine and full of islands than any comparable stretch of shore in the country. Certain parts are not only beautiful, but they are positively primeval, and will make you realize that the modern world isn't all it's cracked up to be. It is precisely the inaccessibility, beauty, wilderness and potential to get good surf occasionally -- particularly during hurricane season -- that can make a trip here worthwhile. At least you'll get to see what much of the East Coast was like before humans crapped it up with beachwear shops, golf courses, high-rise hotels and condos, recounting a time when we actually explored places to find the answers to where we were going, instead of looking it up on a computer.

SURFLINE.COM | Surf Travel and Surfing Trip Guides | Georgia

Old 11-25-2010, 05:43 AM

I hear ya.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:01 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,098,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

Neither should a greasy, cheesy overpriced "Southern" buffet served up by a foul-mouthed "lady" and her sons.......
Foul mouthed? Do tell......

Old 12-13-2010, 04:40 PM

11,393 posts, read 24,430,969 times
Have you all read this yet? What do you think?

'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' received almost $26,000 worth of city services | savannahnow.com

Old 12-13-2010, 07:08 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,901,501 times
I saw that Ellie and frankly, I was appalled. kinda backs up my gut feeling to this whole sidewhow circus from the start. this is a major network TV show with big ratings. why is the city giving services to them? they even gave away OT for police?! the taxpayers of this city should be outraged!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: