Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2010, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 11,689 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone I am most likely moving to Savannah early next year and need some advice/info...
I will be working in the downtown/historic city district, where is the best place to live? I want to rent an apartment, either a 1 bedroom for myself or I wouldn't mind sharing an apartment. What are the best areas to look in? How is the whole roommate thing in Savannah?
I also wanted to find out if there are any Hookah bars/cafes in Savannah and any Hookah suppliers?
What is the public transportation like in Savannah? If living in the downtown or historic area, are there any shopping malls or anything like that close by or accessible by public transport or is a car required?

Info about me - I am a 27 yr old single guy, moving to Savannah on my own, will be working in the hotel industry.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,186 times
I still live at home so I don't really know about apartments, but there is a hookah bar on broughton street that's realllly popular with the 20+ age group. As far as public transportation, there's the CAT bus (chatham area transit) that you probably won't be too happy with...it's mainly for people too poor to have cars. your best bet is a bike because downtown traffic, with the squares and everything, is annoying to navigate by car and public transit is honestly just a bad idea. if you live downtown, there is plenty of shopping all around you. i swear half of downtown savannah is made up of shopping. but there are two malls, the oglethorpe mall and savannah mall, about 10 (15 at most) minutes away. it's not a bad distance at all.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:00 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Ugh, off subject to start this, but I have to say this. Public transit is NOT a bad idea! If anything, it needs to be expanded. It is not only for poor people who can't afford a car, it is also for those who CHOOSE not to have a car.

Okay, on to the subject at hand. What I did before I made the move downtown a few years ago was look on Craigslist for shared rooms. You'll find affordable 1 bedrooms that rent near downtown if you look close enough. Midtown would probably fit you best. Either the Ardsley Park neighborhood or the Thomas Square and Victorian Districts just south of the main Historic District. Check them out on a google map for their proximity.
There is one hookah bar I know of in Savannah. It's called the Mirage and it's on East Broughton Street near the intersection of Drayton & Broughton. I work in the hotel near there.
Yes, there is shopping downtown, but if you do need to find a mall, Oglethorpe Mall will more than likely have what you need. You will need to have transportation since it's about a 10 minute drive from the Historic District. Yes, CAT (Chatham Area Transit) will take you there.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:47 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Ugh, off subject to start this, but I have to say this. Public transit is NOT a bad idea! If anything, it needs to be expanded. It is not only for poor people who can't afford a car, it is also for those who CHOOSE not to have a car.
Which is not a good idea as it is....plus, why should I subsidize your bus fare? CAT has never operated in the black based on ridership, so how about increasing fares so that happens?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:40 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
There is (or was when I left town) a store in the mall furtherest from downtown that sold weapons and hookas. I'd imagine they could order supplies for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: