Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 01:18 PM

16 posts, read 27,029 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Michigan with my wife and we have both lived here all our lives. We are looking for a place to live short-term, possibly long-term. Short-term being that we are looking for a good graduate school to attend for a few years; long-term being if after we graduate and we like the area then we may plan to stay.

We are in our late 20’s/early 30’s, have 2 dogs (boxers), and no children (currently, but planning to have them soon) and are both special education teachers. I personally don’t mind the snow or colder winters, but my wife hates them. After living in one place for 30 years I wouldn’t mind a change of pace, even a drastic one at that.

Cost of living – how is it in the area?

Crime – I’ve lived in some areas with higher crime rates. I’m also licensed in my state to carry a pistol, very aware of my surroundings, and try not to put myself in situations where I’m likely to be a victim. I’m a little more concerned for my wife’s safety than anything. So how is the crime?

Gun Laws – Being a proud gun owner, I’d like to live somewhere that is gun friendly; meaning that the state/city doesn’t prevent its law abiding citizens from carrying a firearm for the purpose of self defense, or have a bunch of regulations in place. I’m licensed in Michigan to carry concealed, and you may also open carry in the state with/without a license. How are the gun laws/regulations there? Is there any “state/national/federal land” nearby where you can target shoot/hunt?

Activities/Events/Things to do – I’d like to live somewhere where there is always something to do/see.

Kid friendly – Even though we don’t have children at the moment, we will in the future. If we stay I’d like to raise them somewhere that has a good school system and is relatively drug free (at least as possible – I realize drugs are everywhere). Also, is there plenty for kids to do? Lots of parks?

Dog friendly – We have 2 (bigger) dogs. Any breed restrictions? Are there any dog parks where the dogs can run off leash?

Teaching Jobs/Pay – How is the availability of teacher jobs (particularly in special education)? How is the pay for a first year teacher?

Schools – How are the schools? Not just to teach in, but also be a student in?

Tourism – Is it a touristy area? If so, when?

Traffic – How is the traffic? If it’s bad, when/where?

People/Locals– Are the locals friendly? What is the population mostly made up of?

Weather – What’s the truth about the weather?

Housing market/good areas to live – How’s the housing market currently? Buyers or sellers market? What does an average house cost? Where are the more desirable areas to live (nothing fancy, but I’d like to live around less crime)?

Taxes – What are the taxes like in the state?

Insurance – Anything we should be aware of? I know some areas of the country have higher insurance rates.

Pests/Bugs/Animals – Since I’m used to have cold winters kill off various forms of life, the pests/bugs animals aren’t that bad. We really don’t have to worry about anything too deadly. While we do have rattle snakes, you rarely come across them (same with black widows or brown recluse). Of course in the more northern areas we have bear, cougars, coyote (which seem to be spreading to more cities),etc. We also have freshwater so we don’t have to worry about sharks or jellyfish; overall not that bad. Anything I should be aware of? If so, where and when?

Last edited by TDubbbs; 01-02-2011 at 01:55 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 06:25 PM

11,376 posts, read 24,361,857 times
*very deep sigh*

So many of these questions can be answered by using google (or search engine of your choice). In fact, though I've lived here for a long time, I'd have to look up at least half of them.

You should also take some time to search and read old posts here on the Savannah forum as many of your questions have been discussed over and over and over and over again.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:46 PM

16 posts, read 27,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
*very deep sigh*

So many of these questions can be answered by using google (or search engine of your choice). In fact, though I've lived here for a long time, I'd have to look up at least half of them.

You should also take some time to search and read old posts here on the Savannah forum as many of your questions have been discussed over and over and over and over again.
Currently I don't have time to rifle through tons of old posts that may (or most likely may NOT) answer the questions I have asked. Sure I could look some of this stuff up, but word of mouth is a much better avenue. Learning from individuals that know the area that can answer MY SPECIFIC questions seems to be the best way.

Instead of posting a complaint about my questions, why not just answer the one's you could have without using a search engine.

Thanks for your help!

mod interpose: closed, cross-posted in multiple forums

Last edited by scirocco22; 01-02-2011 at 07:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area