U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 PM

67 posts, read 63,733 times

Advertisements

The only high-rise in Midtown is Stillwell Towers, which isn't a hotel, but a housing project for the disabled
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:05 PM

3,509 posts, read 3,728,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsavannahian View Post
The only high-rise in Midtown is Stillwell Towers, which isn't a hotel, but a housing project for the disabled
...which has been there for decades and probably needs to be demolished and rebuilt as something a lot nicer, but you must be forgetting the hotels across from Twelve Oaks on Abercorn that are mid-rise and built within the past five years. Not impressive, but not low density either.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:39 PM

67 posts, read 63,733 times
Ohh, yeah, but thats on the southside, but every Savannahian defines that differently. But Stillwell looks so decaying, they should keep it just as it is, except open it up for regular apartments and fix the fire hazards. I used to deliver pizzas for costanzo's, which is across Waters.....but anyways, the elevators are padded inside like an insane asylum. But its 20 stories tall and i think those hotels next to Fresh Market are only ten.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:59 PM

8,377 posts, read 6,777,467 times
If I'm not mistaken, Stillwell Towers is the tallest building in Savannah. It sure looks taller because it stands all by itself out there by the hospitals (which only top out at 5-6 floors BTW). Funny, but two of the tallest buildings downtown are also apartments for the disabled / elderly: Chatham Towers on Abercorn and the Rose of Sharon on Whitefield Square. There used to be another public housing high-rise right next to the Truman Parkway at Wheaton Street but it was demolished about 5 years ago.

I am still hoping that the new 500-room convention hotel planned for Hutchinson (next to the trade center) comes in taller than the 12-stories shown in the first artists schematics. It would be a real shame to waste an opportunity to build something super tall on that side of the river. Imagine the great views of the Historic District!

Old 06-29-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Stillwell Towers is the tallest building in Savannah. It sure looks taller because it stands all by itself out there by the hospitals (which only top out at 5-6 floors BTW). Funny, but two of the tallest buildings downtown are also apartments for the disabled / elderly: Chatham Towers on Abercorn and the Rose of Sharon on Whitefield Square. There used to be another public housing high-rise right next to the Truman Parkway at Wheaton Street but it was demolished about 5 years ago.

I am still hoping that the new 500-room convention hotel planned for Hutchinson (next to the trade center) comes in taller than the 12-stories shown in the first artists schematics. It would be a real shame to waste an opportunity to build something super tall on that side of the river. Imagine the great views of the Historic District!
I agree. I hope that the new hotel being planned comes in at a MINIMUM of 12 stories. Wasn't it originally suppose to be taller than the Westin anyway?

BTW, the tallest building in Savannah is the, well, it used to be called the First Union Bank building, but of course, First Union doesn't exist anymore so I don't remember the current name, but that building is on Bull Street fronting Johnson Square aka "Bank Square". I believe the next tallest is either the Westin or Hilton, then there is that ugly tower on Waters Ave. Anyway, that building is ugly and I stand by what I said earlier. Hopefully it will either be renovated or demolished and something built to replace it. Of course, if and when it is demolished, whatever replaces it won't be as tall due to newer ordinances unfortunately. On the other hand, that building sticks out at that height at that location anyway. Not sure that area could ever be midtown's highrise district either considering what's around it. Who knows.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:05 PM

6,985 posts, read 16,710,686 times
Is there some reason that we should have high rise buildings?

Old 06-30-2011, 01:10 PM

8,377 posts, read 6,777,467 times
Outside of the Historic District, is there some reason we should NOT be like a normal city and have high-rise (or even mid-rise) buildings? (NOTE: Hutchinson Island is NOT the Historic District.)

Old 06-30-2011, 08:41 PM

6,985 posts, read 16,710,686 times
Savannah as a "normal" city?

Old 06-30-2011, 11:57 PM

Although I'm sure I would never want Savannah to be a "normal" city (what exactly IS a normal city anyway?), high density buildings can be more economical and aesthetically pleasing to the eye (depending on the design of the building of course!). When I say economical, I mean you take up less space with more in a vertical building versus a one or two story building. Especially when it comes to residential. Anyway, I'm sure Newsboy can help me out with this further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area