Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 03:44 PM

291 posts, read 1,061,769 times

Advertisements

I could like Savannah if I really tried but I don't have to. I can move and I'm going to, lol.

I went downtown yesterday with my husband and it was GORGEOUS. The weather was perfect, the big boats were coming in to the port, people were having fun... but I know there is better out there. In no time, the weather will be so unbearable, you can't even go out in the summer.

That and the gnats were out last night, bleh, lol.

I just haven't met any nice people either. I seem really bitter and angry on here but it's easy to be emotional, especially when you have a firm opinion on something. I have an open mind, I'm a cross between a liberal and conservative. I have my "christian" beliefs that I was brought up with but I also don't practice them to the tee like some would. I don't know, I find it's hard to be in the middle with people here. They can't even agree to disagree, they always want to prove me wrong or how my opinion doesn't matter because I'm from Canada...

I'm going to admit it... I am one of those people who became discriminatory to the locals here. Moderator cut: see comment I come from a VERY cultural area in Ottawa, Ontario. You have every sort of culture there: Somalian, Middle Eastern, European, Asian. Moderator cut: see comment

I can see how some people can like it here, and that's them not me.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-17-2012 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: Area/people group bashing is not permitted per TOS

Old 03-03-2012, 11:34 PM

635 posts, read 1,509,662 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned

So will you be moving to Bremerton, Silverdale, Bangor, Everett or Whidbey island?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-18-2012 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: Orphaned - post referred to has been removed.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:56 PM

17 posts, read 41,072 times
I'm moving to Sav soon. Reading all these posts...ugh...Its like people either love it or hate it. One person says its racist, the next person says its not, one says people are rude, the next says there not

Although, most people seem to be the same way towards Atlanta, people love it or hate it, not much in between.

I'll be working in Bluffton, but really do not care for HHI at all, and South Carolina just creeps me out...Just the politics, etc., stuff you hear about there, I'm fine working there, but at the end of the day want to be home in GA.

I know crime is pretty bad in pockets, does it spill over much into Wilmington Island? How is Port Wentworth/Garden City?

Old 03-17-2012, 01:09 PM

I just hope Savannah isn't full of people like the OP. 'I don't care if you've lived there 20 years you damn Yankee, I only want information from a REAL southerner that's been there for 18 generations.'

I've been to Sav enough times and for long enough to kinda know how to get a good idea of what is true and what is just someone who personally just doesn't jive with the whole area and lifestyle.

But this is one area, I really am not comfortable with....Is Savannah full of people like the OP? Is the 'good ol boy' system still the rule? I'm I going to get the 'yer not frum round here is u boy? (dueling banjos playing in the background)', everyday?

Old 03-17-2012, 01:12 PM

51 posts, read 129,367 times
I have had that experience personally. I'm a girl though. "Whar you frum? You sownd lack a yankee." Lived in the Deep South my whole life, actually--I just don't sound like it.

And Port Wentworth is best avoided. Garden City? Driving through it is bad enough. It's a real sh*thole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by move2sav View Post

But this is one area, I really am not comfortable with....Is Savannah full of people like the OP? Is the 'good ol boy' system still the rule? I'm I going to get the 'yer not frum round here is u boy? (dueling banjos playing in the background)', everyday?

Old 03-17-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetnessJones View Post
I have had that experience personally. I'm a girl though. "Whar you frum? You sownd lack a yankee." Lived in the Deep South my whole life, actually--I just don't sound like it.

And Port Wentworth is best avoided. Garden City? Driving through it is bad enough. It's a real sh*thole.

I'm from midwest originally but have been living in the South for almost the last 20years. Yeah I know I will hear it, but I mean is it so bad to the point it'll be hard to make friends, affect finding a job, etc.

Ok, I'll cross those areas off my list. Amazingly, as many people I've talked to, postings I've made, etc., you are the first person to give any kind of opinion on those two areas...lol...Thanks!

What do you think about Pooler or Rincon? I will be working in Bluffton. Ideally want to live on Wilmington, but don't know how tolerable that commute will be.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:27 PM

I'm in Pooler myself, and it's not awful. We only just got a decent supermarket in November 2010. Otherwise, it was just Walmart, where I refuse to shop. You ever wanna feel better about yourself, just walk into one around here.

Wilmington is pretty good from what I've heard. Schools too maybe. The residential areas are older, but the housing is cheaper. I've never lived there myself, so I can't give you too much advice.

It's not hard to make friends here if you're an "outsider" because so many people are. As I've mentioned before, the only hostility I encountered was from people originally from this area. It was very much a "Go home, Yankee" kind of thing. And then they'd accuse me of lying when I said I'd always lived in the South. Or maybe they thought their safe place had been infiltrated by some Yankee Taliban.

As far as making friends, the problem is that they tend to come and go easily. More superficial, I guess, which is why I have so few. It takes me a while before I consider someone a friend, as opposed to so many who consider their realtor or mail-carrier their "friend."

Quote:
I'm from midwest originally but have been living in the South for almost the last 20years. Yeah I know I will hear it, but I mean is it so bad to the point it'll be hard to make friends, affect finding a job, etc.

Ok, I'll cross those areas off my list. Amazingly, as many people I've talked to, postings I've made, etc., you are the first person to give any kind of opinion on those two areas...lol...Thanks!

What do you think about Pooler or Rincon? I will be working in Bluffton. Ideally want to live on Wilmington, but don't know how tolerable that commute will be.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:40 PM

Believe me, I know what your saying about Walmart. I've been to the one in Pooler many times...But I think its generally like that with MOST Walmarts...lol. The one we go to up here, only when absolutely have to, is very nasty and depressing.

Is Pooler a hardcore religious-right type of area? In other words, not too offend anyone, but I would rather deal with crime than living around people who would vote for Rick Santorum as President. I guess thats my best analogy of the type of area I want to avoid. Thats what makes me nervous about Pooler, Ricon, South Effingham, and why I'm largely trying to avoid living in South Carolina at all...I don't have a real good idea how much these areas are or are not like that.

We have lived in an area like that for several years now...our neighbors once called the police because our son had a hispanic friend over spending the night and they just looked out their window and saw a hispanic kid and freaked out...seriously...We're talking 10 yr olds...1/2 the vehicles in our neighborhood have 'Got Jesus' and 'W The President' bumper stickers.
NEVER EVER AGAIN do I want to be in an area like this, and that's what makes me nervous about the Sav burbs, or living in Bluffton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetnessJones View Post
I'm in Pooler myself, and it's not awful. We only just got a decent supermarket in November 2010. Otherwise, it was just Walmart, where I refuse to shop. You ever wanna feel better about yourself, just walk into one around here.

Wilmington is pretty good from what I've heard. Schools too maybe. The residential areas are older, but the housing is cheaper. I've never lived there myself, so I can't give you too much advice.

It's not hard to make friends here if you're an "outsider" because so many people are. As I've mentioned before, the only hostility I encountered was from people originally from this area. It was very much a "Go home, Yankee" kind of thing. And then they'd accuse me of lying when I said I'd always lived in the South. Or maybe they thought their safe place had been infiltrated by some Yankee Taliban.

As far as making friends, the problem is that they tend to come and go easily. More superficial, I guess, which is why I have so few. It takes me a while before I consider someone a friend, as opposed to so many who consider their realtor or mail-carrier their "friend."

Old 03-17-2012, 01:50 PM

I've had people knock on my door and tell me "We're living in the end times" and others asking me where my "home church" is. It's infrequent, and perhaps word has gotten around about me being an atheist, so no one bothers me. I see Frothy's signs up here and there, but I've not heard many express too much about politics. Georgia tends to go Republican most of the time anyway.

The police in Pooler and in Savannah tend to be difficult and to my knowledge are more aggressive toward those with varying skin shades of burnt sienna and cocoa. But that's in a lot of places (not that it makes it OK). In my neighborhood, there are several black families, and no one has bothered them, nor tried to get them to move because "they're making the property values drop."

The trouble with living here in Pooler is having to drive to Savannah to get coffee or to buy earrings and such. Not a lot of businesses here, outside of fast food joints and banks.

Quote:
Believe me, I know what your saying about Walmart. I've been to the one in Pooler many times...But I think its generally like that with MOST Walmarts...lol. The one we go to up here, only when absolutely have to, is very nasty and depressing.

Is Pooler a hardcore religious-right type of area? In other words, not too offend anyone, but I would rather deal with crime than living around people who would vote for Rick Santorum as President. I guess thats my best analogy of the type of area I want to avoid. Thats what makes me nervous about Pooler, Ricon, South Effingham, and why I'm largely trying to avoid living in South Carolina at all...I don't have a real good idea how much these areas are or are not like that.

We have lived in an area like that for several years now...our neighbors once called the police because our son had a hispanic friend over spending the night and they just looked out their window and saw a hispanic kid and freaked out...seriously...We're talking 10 yr olds...1/2 the vehicles in our neighborhood have 'Got Jesus' and 'W The President' bumper stickers.
NEVER EVER AGAIN do I want to be in an area like this, and that's what makes me nervous about the Sav burbs, or living in Bluffton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area