U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2007, 02:03 PM
 
8 posts, read 42,046 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hi,

I know this may seem weird but I have been offered the chance of a position within a company based in Savannah! It means moving my wife, daughter & I across from the UK and selling up over here! A great opportunity but also a considered choice! In order to judge the fairness of the opportunity I am trying to figure out how well balanced the US salary offer is! Could anyone help me if I gave further details?

Cheers,

GW-UK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2007, 04:40 PM
 
6,965 posts, read 16,427,306 times
Reputation: 6501
That's a big decision, isn't it!! Of course, the biggest Pro would be exposing your daughter to America and all it has. That might be be the biggest Con too.

I have thought about why a company would go overseas to find someone. It's either that your skills are very specialized, you work for a lot less money than any local, or the company is based in the UK. I guess the last. If so, I am guessing that you would probably be located on the West side of the County.

There are good schools in that area, and a lot of new homes in just about any price range you would want. Rental property is available at good prices. Unless the company is furnishing you with a car for your personal use, you will need two cars.

I wish I were able to give you more information, but I am sure that you know there are a lot of varibles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2007, 01:30 PM
 
8 posts, read 42,046 times
Reputation: 11
Default Too many intangibles to process!

Hi Padgett,

You're right a huge potential postitve and maybe a con or too thrown in to boot! But life is an experience and a life experience is worth much more than a box of chocolates, not matter how nice the bench or the square its in! Though all we hear about Savannah is positive and that the lifestyle is well worth the considered risk!

Anyway, we're kind of struggling to see what sort of lifestyle a salary around the $70k mark will get us in relation to the cost of living inSavannah! And also where a nice english couple can reside safely and not feel too far away from home! Lets just say there are some experiences we can all live without!

In my case, my skills and the small company I work for are both highly specialised and therefore its a sharing of internal resources! Hope that doesn't sound too pompous! If so my apologies!

Can you advise on things like rental costs of a 3bed house in a nice area, utility costs (Electricity, Gas, Water, Cable, Internet, Telephone) and grocery prices for 2.5 people? It'll help us wotrk out if our budget etc will make this easier or harder in the long term!

Many thanks Padgett, we appreciate your help!

Cheers,

GW-UK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2007, 12:59 PM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,127 posts, read 21,481,237 times
Reputation: 4728
One resource you may wish to try is Craigs List. craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events. Just go over and click on Georgia and pick Savannah. You will find a housing area with stuff for sale, for rent, etc. You may or may not wish to actually reply to any of the ads (may be best to use a service since you're newcomers), but it will at least give you an idea of how much stuff costs here to rent, etc. Otherwise I can't personally comment on specific places to look because I visit down there, not live.

Be prepared to deal with heat and humidity. Savannah is VERY hot and very sticky/humid if you're not used to a near sub-tropical type of climate in the summer months. Winters are nice. The culture there is a strange mix of ultra conservative and ultra liberal at the same time. Might seem odd to some. On one side Savannah is a very artsy, craftsy, funky kind of tourist town, and on the other you have the large, strong, church/conservative (some might say old south snooty) crowd as well. You can make of it what you will but just be aware of it as some people who aren't familiar with it at all get confused, not being able to figure out WHAT Savannah is all about. LOL

One thing that puts some people off is the perception of crime and "ghetto" areas in Savannah. Now I live in Atlanta, the queen city of all things ghetto, so, for me Savannah doesn't look that bad. But if you've never experienced an American ghetto-type area, well, it might freak you out (or not). There is unfortunately, a generation of kids in these areas who are growing up and as early as the age of 13 or 14 have absolutely no concept of the respect you should have for another person's life or property. They'd just as soon shoot you for $5 or think carjacking is something you do to impress your friends, and not think twice about doing either one. Again, to ME, Savannah isn't that bad regarding this stuff, but it DOES exist there - even more reason to use a relocation service to make sure you don't wind up living next to one of these areas.

If you're fairly hip, modern, folks who aren't set in their ways, and plan ahead and don't just move here with no foresight, then I think you'll be able to find the right nitch there for your family. Also note, that about 1.5 hours North of Savannah is Charleston, SC (which I hate to tick people off, but I personally prefer over Savannah). It could be an alternative, or, simply a good regular day trip for the family. Just FYI.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2007, 03:05 PM
 
8 posts, read 42,046 times
Reputation: 11
Default Thank You Very Much!

Hi ,

The information posted to my question, the replies and the website in general have been great! Thank you one and all!

My wife and I are visiting in August to have a look at all things Savannah and hope to make the move in the next few months!

Again thank you!

GW-UK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2007, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Panama City Beach, Florida
113 posts, read 322,252 times
Reputation: 96
Default Maybe my niece can help

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW-UK View Post
Hi Padgett,

You're right a huge potential postitve and maybe a con or too thrown in to boot! But life is an experience and a life experience is worth much more than a box of chocolates, not matter how nice the bench or the square its in! Though all we hear about Savannah is positive and that the lifestyle is well worth the considered risk!

Anyway, we're kind of struggling to see what sort of lifestyle a salary around the $70k mark will get us in relation to the cost of living inSavannah! And also where a nice english couple can reside safely and not feel too far away from home! Lets just say there are some experiences we can all live without!

In my case, my skills and the small company I work for are both highly specialised and therefore its a sharing of internal resources! Hope that doesn't sound too pompous! If so my apologies!

Can you advise on things like rental costs of a 3bed house in a nice area, utility costs (Electricity, Gas, Water, Cable, Internet, Telephone) and grocery prices for 2.5 people? It'll help us wotrk out if our budget etc will make this easier or harder in the long term!

Many thanks Padgett, we appreciate your help!

Cheers,

GW-UK
I've forwarded your questions on this forum to my niece and her husband. He is from the UK and she lived there for 12 years. They have been living in Savannah for about 10 or 12 years now.
He seems to love living here, although, it took him a few years to get used to it. I think it was "Pub withdrawl".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2007, 05:14 PM
 
15 posts, read 109,347 times
Reputation: 13
Default kate Ireland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW-UK View Post
Hi,

I know this may seem weird but I have been offered the chance of a position within a company based in Savannah! It means moving my wife, daughter & I across from the UK and selling up over here! A great opportunity but also a considered choice! In order to judge the fairness of the opportunity I am trying to figure out how well balanced the US salary offer is! Could anyone help me if I gave further details?

Cheers,

GW-UK
My family and I moved from the south west of Ireland (Co.Cork) six years ago to Savannah. My Husband also got offered a position here and we decided to go for it, we love it here and if you want to fill me in on the rest of your info, I will be glad to help you out in any way possible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2007, 04:06 PM
 
10 posts, read 20,927 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjtt View Post
My family and I moved from the south west of Ireland (Co.Cork) six years ago to Savannah. My Husband also got offered a position here and we decided to go for it, we love it here and if you want to fill me in on the rest of your info, I will be glad to help you out in any way possible!
Hi Kate,we are 2 scousers thinking of a move to Savannah from Florida where we've been for 4 years.How is the hurricane insurance there[astronomical here-that's the main reason we're leaving].also how are the schools ,any decent restaurants and bars? I'm a pediatric/neonatal r.n. and my husband does maintenance but has just completed his air con.training.any info would be appreciated,we are both 40.,f.y.i.and have a 2yr old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2007, 06:44 AM
 
8 posts, read 42,046 times
Reputation: 11
Default Kate Ireland

Hi Kate,

My wife and I are actually in Savannah at the moment!

We have Sunday to ourselves and are hesding out to Tybee Island, and then going to travel around the cvity in our hire care looking at different areas!

Do you have any ideas about the nice places to live that might suit a young couple with a nearly 2 yr old daughter? So far the Isle of Hope looks lovely, but we notice rent is a lot less expensive eslewhere! Also wanting to know how much of a lifestyle the proposed salary will get us!

Monday I am in the office, but Helen is going to be exploring on her own on foot! Is there anywhere you'd recommend she went, or stayed away from?

Cheers,

Graham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2007, 06:47 AM
 
8 posts, read 42,046 times
Reputation: 11
Hi Itisue,

Please see my reply to Kate above. Helen and I are also nurses, but I am now working in a commercial company! We're curious as to how easy / hard the nurse conversion courses are, and how she gets onto it!

It looks like I will be coming over unaccompanied for a while, whilst H sorts out the housing. It'd be good to know there's someone else in the same boat as us when we get here!

Drop us a line and maybe we can help each other with info!

Cheers,

Graham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top