Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2011, 08:53 AM

11 posts, read 32,372 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move from SC to Savannah area and have been researching gated communities for our family. Heard about the Landings. Any idea how far to the beach? Also any other gated communities that may be closer to the beach? Is Tybee the only accessible beach close to Savannah? Any info is appreciated! Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 11:07 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times
The two closest communities to Tybee where uppity types can shut themselves off from the "riff raff" are Long Point on Whitmarsh Is. and Causton Bluff. Both have manned gates during the day & both are about 10-15 mins to Tybee, which is the only car-accessible beach here.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:37 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
What's your price point also?

Old 03-19-2011, 12:49 PM

11 posts, read 32,372 times
I don't consider us to be "uppity" just looking for a safe place for our kids--have heard some things about the crime in Savannah.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:21 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
The Gated Community concept is fairly new in the Savannah area. There are many sections of the area that are quite safe with little or no crime.

The Landings is a gated community that has a high percentage of retired people from outside the state. Your kids might be safe, but they wouldn't have as many playmates. Think $$$$$$$$$$$$

There are also a few gated communities on Laroche, Norwood and Ferguson Avenues.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:27 PM

82 posts, read 204,926 times
Battery Row is a new gated community on Tybee Island in Savannah. You would purchase the lot and then build the home to your liking. Send me a private message if you want more information.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:32 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Before we moved, I homed in on a realtor who was very responsive to my questions and emails, and she made suggestions according to my specific preferences. I can suggest a couple if you need recommendations.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:38 PM

40 posts, read 133,355 times
Your kids would have PLENTY of friends at the Landings and also Dutch Island. It has been a LONG time since it was only retirees living there. Some posters need to move into this century, lol, TONS of people live there that aren't 'uppity', only want a beautiful, well-kept neighborhood with low, low crime rates and stable house prices. My kids go to Catholic schools here and have loads of friends at both of those islands

Old 03-21-2011, 10:47 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
The Landings may be located on an island, but that doesn't mean it's close to the beach. You still have to drive back to the mainland in order to get to the road that takes you to the one and only beach in Savannah, Tybee. One other option is Hilton Head, but that's even further.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:45 AM

74 posts, read 288,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
The Gated Community concept is fairly new in the Savannah area. There are many sections of the area that are quite safe with little or no crime.

The Landings is a gated community that has a high percentage of retired people from outside the state. Your kids might be safe, but they wouldn't have as many playmates. Think $$$$$$$$$$$$

There are also a few gated communities on Laroche, Norwood and Ferguson Avenues.
I'm glad you said that about it being fairly new. I'm surprised at how many people are living in them now. But, you're incorrect about not having playmates at The Landings. About half of my son's preschool classes lived at The Landings. It's definitely a place for families with young children now. As bubblewrap1 notes, Dutch Island is full of children now, too. My son attended a church preschool for three years and about 98% of his classmates lived at Dutch Island or The Landings. It wasn't that way years ago, meaning many of the families who live there now would have simply lived elsewhere years ago.

To the OP, The Landings is not close to the beach at all. It's about 26 miles and will take you about 45 minutes to get there, depending on how far into The Landings you live. If you want to get to the beach easily then a community like Long Pointe or Turners Cover is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area