U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Worst Traffic
Downtown 2 8.70%
Midtown 7 30.43%
East Savannah and the Islands 1 4.35%
Pooler, Garden City, and West Chatham 3 13.04%
Sandfly and the Southside 3 13.04%
Armstrong and Georgetown 7 30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2011, 04:06 PM

1,725 posts, read 1,974,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Gee, if we have all that tax monies around to build all these highways and widen streets, etc. you would think that "they" (whoever "they" may be) could spare a little to repave the cracked up, bumpy streets and highways that are already being used.

One of the main problems is the tax on Gasoline is the 2nd lowest in the country. Do you really want to save .10 on every gallon of gas or do you want better roads? This is what it comes down to.

Most everybody but corporations would like the nice roads but when you buy a million gallons of gas a year, then .10 cents on the gallon is a huge number.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 10:42 PM

67 posts, read 63,218 times
When the Truman Parkway is finished, I believe something will have to be done with that stretch of Abercorn between the proposed fished and the beginning of Veteran's Parkway.
It will will be very cool though. I feel like I don't every go that far south (past Montgumery XRoads) and I think the Truman will make getting to the deep southside feasible.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:05 PM

17,192 posts, read 20,203,102 times
I personally have no issue with the traffic here, except for 2 areas, Derenne and Abercorn, and merging onto 16 from 95 in the morning. Actually, everyone on 16 is very nice and the merge goes smoothly most of the time. That leaves Derenne and Abercorn, which causes me to avoid shopping on Abercorn if I can possibly help it.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:30 AM
Status: "Speaking gets your voice heard, but think beforehand." (set 23 days ago)

3,474 posts, read 3,680,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I personally have no issue with the traffic here, except for 2 areas, Derenne and Abercorn, and merging onto 16 from 95 in the morning. Actually, everyone on 16 is very nice and the merge goes smoothly most of the time. That leaves Derenne and Abercorn, which causes me to avoid shopping on Abercorn if I can possibly help it.
Still waiting on the lighting at 16 & 95. I'm positive I mentioned this before, but they said this was coming, what, 5 years ago and STILL nothing.

...and of course, they definitely need to reconfigure that interchange where it isn't so dangerous.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Status: "shopping, dropping--not necessarily in that order" (set 3 days ago)

3,041 posts, read 883,806 times
I think the rumors that they will re-configure the 16/95 interchange may be why they put off the lighting project. Why put up the lights, only to have to tear them down when the interchange is rebuilt?

Old 10-28-2011, 12:11 AM

175 posts, read 350,031 times
I wish there was an overpass to connect East Savannah & the Islands with West Savannah and Garden City without having to go through horrible downtown traffic on Bay Street.

I hate driving in Savannah... but besides that.... the city needs to repave every raggedy street because I swear my car is going to need a new front end. I'm so sick of all the raggedy ill paved roads with pot holes.

Will the city ever fix the left lanes of Henry and Anderson streets? Every time I cross an intersection I feel like the bottom of my car is going to fall out. Abercorn and Derenne are the bane of my existence. Thank God for the expansion project of West Montgomery Crossroads & Middleground Road.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:00 AM
Status: "Speaking gets your voice heard, but think beforehand." (set 23 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I think the rumors that they will re-configure the 16/95 interchange may be why they put off the lighting project. Why put up the lights, only to have to tear them down when the interchange is rebuilt?
If that project even got approved, it wouldn't be for another 10 years at best. They have been talking about lighting for at least 10 years. I'm tired of delays!

Old 11-28-2011, 03:47 PM

67 posts, read 63,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starhawk18 View Post
I wish there was an overpass to connect East Savannah & the Islands with West Savannah and Garden City without having to go through horrible downtown traffic on Bay Street..
Its called U.S. 80. Its also called Victory Drive

Old 11-28-2011, 09:41 PM

8,352 posts, read 6,680,883 times
Actually, the best and quickest way to get from eastside to westside SHOULD be I-516 ... if only it didn't come to a sudden end at DeRenne Avenue ... but continued on across town and linked up with Truman Parkway! But hindsight is 20/20 ...

Old 11-29-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsavannahian View Post
Its called U.S. 80. Its also called Victory Drive
I'm pretty sure the other guy was talking about a freeway-type configuration, not a surface street such as Victory. Something more along the lines of Truman Parkway where it's limited access.

I couldn't see something like that happening for Savannah, unfortunately, because it'd require a lot of demolishing and money.. and some of those areas are historic. Like, TRULY historic. Not a cinder block dry cleaner building on West Bay Street type of historic. (I'm still fuming about that BS in case no one noticed) LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area