Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst Traffic
Downtown 2 8.00%
Midtown 7 28.00%
East Savannah and the Islands 1 4.00%
Pooler, Garden City, and West Chatham 4 16.00%
Sandfly and the Southside 3 12.00%
Armstrong and Georgetown 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 05:38 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,811,909 times

Advertisements

BTW ... there are ways to quickly cut across the Historic District from east to west without getting bogged down on the "designated" east-west arteries of Bay, Oglethorpe and Liberty if you know how. Taylor Street is probably the best because it runs straight into the on-ramp of I-16!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 07:42 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
BTW ... there are ways to quickly cut across the Historic District from east to west without getting bogged down on the "designated" east-west arteries of Bay, Oglethorpe and Liberty if you know how. Taylor Street is probably the best because it runs straight into the on-ramp of I-16!
True, but you have to get past all the stop signs at intersections which can slow you down (particularly the one ways such as Whitaker and Drayton). I always used Taylor to get to 16 when I lived in Savannah.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:49 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,811,909 times
Well, WanderingImport a friend and I have actually tested this theory -- he a committed "Liberty/Oglethorpe wait for the traffic lights" believer and me a "take the stop/yield signs thru the squares" guy. In each and every try east to west and back again, it is almost twice as fast taking the squares and avoiding the traffic light delays on the thoroughfares -- UNLESS you get bogged down behind endless tour trolleys or a couple of horse carriages which screw up the whle thing.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Well, WanderingImport a friend and I have actually tested this theory -- he a committed "Liberty/Oglethorpe wait for the traffic lights" believer and me a "take the stop/yield signs thru the squares" guy. In each and every try east to west and back again, it is almost twice as fast taking the squares and avoiding the traffic light delays on the thoroughfares -- UNLESS you get bogged down behind endless tour trolleys or a couple of horse carriages which screw up the whle thing.
Yup. It can go either way depending on the situation. Luck of the draw, so to speak.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:21 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,088,566 times
The Anderson-Henry St. corridor would be a great, logical place to build an east-west expressway connecting 516 to the Truman. With depressed property values, now would be the time for a little "emminant domain".

Old 12-04-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
The Anderson-Henry St. corridor would be a great, logical place to build an east-west expressway connecting 516 to the Truman. With depressed property values, now would be the time for a little "emminant domain".
I disagree. There are tons of beautiful, some newly restored, victorian homes in that area. They DO need to repave those streets and badly.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:17 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,935,705 times
Default traffic

I have to smile when I hear someone in Savannah complain about traffic. I lived in ATL for 27 years, and fought 285 - 75-85 daily for many of them. I live 14 miles from my last job, in Stone Mountain, worked in Tucker near Northlake Mall. Week days, it took 1 hour to 1-1/2 hours to get to work. that's using 3 different back routes or the expressway. home the same thing. On the weekend if I ran in it took 20 minutes.....

Yes, I agree there is heavy traffic areas for the roads here in Savannah. there are some mornings, I can't stomach driving Bay street to get to work. But then I just look out on the river, or cut over to Oglethorpe or Liberty and take a deep breath. It goes away.

Weekends, when I am running errands on the southside, it can be annoying, Again, I just take a deep breath and smile.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I have to smile when I hear someone in Savannah complain about traffic. I lived in ATL for 27 years, and fought 285 - 75-85 daily for many of them. I live 14 miles from my last job, in Stone Mountain, worked in Tucker near Northlake Mall. Week days, it took 1 hour to 1-1/2 hours to get to work. that's using 3 different back routes or the expressway. home the same thing. On the weekend if I ran in it took 20 minutes.....

Yes, I agree there is heavy traffic areas for the roads here in Savannah. there are some mornings, I can't stomach driving Bay street to get to work. But then I just look out on the river, or cut over to Oglethorpe or Liberty and take a deep breath. It goes away.

Weekends, when I am running errands on the southside, it can be annoying, Again, I just take a deep breath and smile.
An hour to hour and a half from Stone Mountain to Northlake?? Am I reading that correctly? If so, I call BS. At least if you're saying that was on a regular basis. Even in heavy traffic, Stone Mtn. Freeway will get you from Stone Mountain to 285, then up to La Vista in 30 to 45 minutes. Certainly no more than an hour.
Anyway, I digress.
Traffic really is a relative thing. It's what you're use to. I will agree with the point you were trying to make in that traffic in the Atlanta area is MUCH worse than Savannah area traffic is.. and ever will be probably.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:27 PM

14,172 posts, read 22,621,524 times
I-516 seems kind of pointless, if you ask me.

What they need to do is build it north to connect to I-95 near the airport, and connect Veterans Parkway to I-95 to the south, and call it I-695 or something.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I-516 seems kind of pointless, if you ask me.

What they need to do is build it north to connect to I-95 near the airport, and connect Veterans Parkway to I-95 to the south, and call it I-695 or something.
That's all well and good, but there are tons of structures between 516 at it's northern terminus and the intersection of GA 21 and I-95 (which would ultimately be where 516 would intersect with 95).
As for Veterans Parkway, it's southern terminus is at GA 204. There HAVE been talks (and this has actually showed up on construction lists for TSPLOST) of making 204 limited access (i.e creating an overpass at King George Blvd) at least to Gateway Savannah. Not sure how they would build to freeway standards at 204 & 95 though with all the development there.

In theory, this would be ideal. In reality, no such luck.

GDOT was too slow to the game as development came first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area