U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-05-2011, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 7,260 times
Default young person wanting to move to savannah, georgia?

i'm from oregon and i am thinking about moving to savannah georgia. i have never been to the south before. i want to know which neighborhoods are most affordable for a young person. i would probably be renting an apartment with roommates. i want a safe neighborhood that is close to nightlife, restaurants, parks, etc. i won't have a car when im there so my transportation will be walking and biking. are there neighborhoods where young people live? i mostly want a safe place because i am a white woman with not much city experience. also, what is the job market like there? how much should i expect to pay in rent for a decent place? is it realistic for a young woman to move there by herself and be able to make it financially?
Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-05-2011, 03:12 PM

6,833 posts, read 14,700,909 times
What type of work do you do? You really need to have a job before you make your plans.

Unread 07-05-2011, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 7,260 times
right now i work in the restaurant business, entry level, i dont really have a career or anything yet. i'd be down to get any type of job as long as it pays the bills and isnt really awful

Unread 07-05-2011, 05:31 PM

2,589 posts, read 2,820,790 times
Take a look at the top of the Savannah forum at the relocatee thread. It should have all you need.

Unread 07-06-2011, 05:31 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,318,779 times
I think Savannah is a GREAT place for a young single person looking for an adventure before settling down and getting serious with college, career, family, etc. Being a big tourist town, there are TONS of service jobs that would probably be available to you -- especially since you're not looking to get rich, just pay the rent, Lots of people in Savannah do just that and live very happy lives.

Unread 07-06-2011, 11:04 PM

20 posts, read 14,735 times
Hello fellow Savannahians,

I'm having similar thoughts about relocating to Savannah. I'm from San Diego, California and have never visited coastal Georgia. From what I've researched thus far... it looks amazing! I'm looking to start over in a new city because my husband and I haven't been successful here. I realize that Savannah is VERY different from where I'm from, but I have no problem with change. My husband has a degree in Business Administration (which permits him to do a variety of things), and I'm studying to become an English teacher. Would there be lots of professional jobs available for us? We wouldn't mind working service jobs upon arriving in Savannah, but we'd like to have something more professional in the long run. According to teacherportal.com, Georgia is one of the best states for teachers in terms of average salaries and cost of living... I hope that is true. My other concerns about Savannah have to do with crime, night-life, weather, transportation, activities, and like the OP, neighborhoods. Also, I'd like an honest opinion on this, do you like living in Savannah? Is it a good place to raise a family?

Unread 07-09-2011, 11:16 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,120,548 times
Teaching will not be a needed trade in this area for years to come, due to cutbacks in budgets. Local school districts are dealing with large budget shortfalls & cutting staff left & right. Savannah is slowly recovering from the recession, but the jobs coming back aren't the white collar "professional" kind...yet. There's signs on the horizon of that happening, but it hasn't come to pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area