Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 AM

291 posts, read 1,061,488 times

Advertisements

It's so flipping hot here in the summer, I wonder what people do for fun.

I can't bear to be outside more than 5 minutes when it's 100 degrees out. I don't want to go to the beach because of sunburn and well, I dislike Tybee. I think it's gross, dirty and overrun with tourists and kids.

Is Hilton Head beach nice? I heard you can take your dogs.

But other than the beach, what else is there to do? Downtown is boring and like it said, it's just too hot out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 09:24 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,604,833 times
HH>Tybee...

1.) Free Parking..
2.) Nicer Beach...No sewage smell..
3.) Really nice showers and restrooms.
4.) Tons of really nice restaurants and shopping nearby. Tybee has a few but nothing compared to HH.

Also dogs are allowed but follow the rules.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:57 PM

50,329 posts, read 63,895,871 times
We stay in the AC and wait for the cool weather. We moved from NE Ohio, and we'll take this anytime.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We stay in the AC and wait for the cool weather. We moved from NE Ohio, and we'll take this anytime.
I come from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I miss the snow. At least in the winter you can ski, snowboard, skate, take a nice walk and manage to keep warm with layers.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:00 PM

50,329 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Perhaps you are only going to Tybee near the pier?
We always go around 8th St or so, and it's never crowded there.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:02 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
North Beach (lighthouse) is the best area of Tybee IMO. BTW -- The parking fees on Tybee are what pays for lifeguards, beach nourishment, etc. It's also helps manage crowds. If you want a bigger, nicer, less crowded beach go down to Jekyll -- $5 per car.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:31 PM

So, as far as I see, the only thing to do is go to the beach... I can't do that because it's too hot and I'm not allowed in the sun very long (says my dermatologist).

Old 08-15-2011, 12:10 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,173,623 times
People that live in the Heat Zone of the World don't DO ANYTHING in the Summer. That's not in Savannah, but everywhere. It's HOT. We nap, read, or just sit. Mother Nature makes it foolish to get out into the heat and DO things. We don't even understand why anyone would want to.

I am always amazed at the number of people that come to the south for a vacation in the summertime.
It's a wonder that we don't have more hear exhaustion cases than we do. It's not even pleasant on the beach because the water is warm, not cool.

What do you think would be a good thing to DO in the hot days of summer? I'm curious. I have lived here all my life and I can't think of a thing except getting a good book and staying inside.

Maybe a movie? Thanks to the computer age, I can see lots of things inside my home. I don't even want to go out.

Really, what do you think you would enjoy doing in this heat?

Old 08-15-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
People that live in the Heat Zone of the World don't DO ANYTHING in the Summer. That's not in Savannah, but everywhere. It's HOT. We nap, read, or just sit. Mother Nature makes it foolish to get out into the heat and DO things. We don't even understand why anyone would want to.

I am always amazed at the number of people that come to the south for a vacation in the summertime.
It's a wonder that we don't have more hear exhaustion cases than we do. It's not even pleasant on the beach because the water is warm, not cool.

What do you think would be a good thing to DO in the hot days of summer? I'm curious. I have lived here all my life and I can't think of a thing except getting a good book and staying inside.

Maybe a movie? Thanks to the computer age, I can see lots of things inside my home. I don't even want to go out.

Really, what do you think you would enjoy doing in this heat?
Nothing, maybe that's why the summer drive me crazy since it's too hot to do anything. That to me is boring!

Old 08-15-2011, 05:02 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,173,623 times
You need to learn how to deal with boredom. Pretend that you are confined to a wheelchair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area