Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,029 times

Advertisements

I am wondering what the winters are like here, whats the average temp and when does it start getting cold. Is it cold for Halloween? Where is a good place to 'trick-or-treat' and so on.

I'm from Texas and I lived in a small town with the nearest store besides a grocery store being walmart 15 miles away. I am loving having 2 malls, a beach, and plenty of parks close to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 03:22 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Kids, Treat or Treat in the neighborhood in which they live. Usually, it is warm enough that the children don't need coats. But they might. It's just hard to say.

Winters are mild. You may not even need anything except a light jacket. Or, it can sleet and freeze. It varies. It snowed in December 1989. Some Decembes are so warm that we turn the AC on.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:53 PM

8,069 posts, read 4,744,624 times
Other than the occasional cold snap (2-3 days), you can usually expect to keep wearing shorts and t-shirts well into November. Last winter was odd because we had a prolonged period of cold temps (27-30 at night, 50s in day) in December, but typically it doesn't get hard-core cold like that (yes, mid-20s are about as hard-core as we get for regular durations) until after the new year. By the end of February, it's starting to look like spring again. Weather is never predictable, of course, but we usually have a warm (70-80s) Halloween and Thanksgiving.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:57 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Eh, it actually got quite a bit colder than 28-30 this past winter. There were extended periods between 17-22 at night with 38-45 during the day, though that is still above freezing. I nearly slipped on ice a few times walking downtown. It was quite odd, indeed. Those periods were during January mostly and in to February (and it lasted a few weeks which is what made it so odd) before it started to really warm up. There were also flurries on Christmas Day, the first time it snowed on Christmas since 1989.. and then another time in January.
Usually, the coldest averages you'll find are 58 for a high and 38 for a low. All time low is 3 above and all time high is 105. It rarely snows and it's even rarer for it to accumulate. The last time it did was in 1996 when we had a dusting. The last significant snow (about 4-6 inches) was Christmas of 1989.

As for Halloween, it can get chilly some years, it really just depends, but most of the time it is quite comfortable.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:54 AM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
We enjoyed the beach through October, and it was warm for Halloween. We had plenty of days that were really cold in Jan and Feb, so I wore my OH winter coat quite a few times. It isn't too bad, though, when winter only lasts a few months.
I really should get rid of many of my winter clothes, but I waited a year first to see how many jackets and sweaters, etc I would really use.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:42 AM

291 posts, read 1,061,769 times
I'm from Canada and I bought a thick winter coat for this past winter. The humidity sends a chill in to your body you can't rid of when it's not even very cold out. I guess you also just get used to it being 90 degrees for a good while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area