Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:33 PM

28 posts, read 36,270 times

Advertisements

My husband is thinking about applying at Great Dane Trailer at their new plant in Statesboro. What's housing like in Statesboro, and the schools, also? We have 2 children, ages 12 and 16. Also, does anyone have experience working for Great Dane? Anyone know what starting wage might be? And benefits? The move would put us further away from family, but right now, we are more concerned about a job for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 05:50 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
One of the reasons they moved their assembly plant from Savannah to Statesboro was because of the hourly wages. They could pay a lower starting wage in Statesboro. One of the comments in the article states the starting wage to be $13 an hour.

Here are a couple of news articles about it.

Great Dane to build Statesboro plant | savannahnow.com

Great Dane breaks ground for new plant in Statesboro | savannahnow.com

If I was your husband has he thought about trying to get on at Plant Vogtle. Ga. Power is ramping up construction and as soon as their final permit is issued then all hell will break loose from a construction stand point.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:50 PM

22 posts, read 63,137 times
I can't give you any advice on Great Dane, but I can speak about Statesboro. I was born and raised here. It's a college town and it's growing pretty rapidly. In the last year nearly every one of our public schools completed or began construction on a new building. The school system here can rival surrounding areas - especially if you're willing to live 10 minutes or so out of town in the "country." It's a great place to raise children. Finally, the standard of living here is lower than a lot of other areas so you might want to keep that in mind when you're talking about salary. However, I have no idea what Great Dane pays.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:01 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_dw View Post
It's a college town and it's growing pretty rapidly.
I don't think anywhere in Georgia is growing "rapidly" anymore. At least not since '07 or '08.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:31 PM

52 posts, read 69,681 times
Default Statesboro and Great Dane

Perhaps this is too little, too late but: the company will actually host a major job fair tomorrow (12/14) at Ogeechee Technical College. I'm sure any and all information pertaining to a job could be acquired there.

As far as Statesboro:

It is growing, thanks in no small part to the ever expanding Georgia Southern University. Because of students the town is becoming more progressive in its thinking.

Depending on where you're moving from, the schools may actually be an upgrade. The elementary schools are great and new buildings have been constructed throughout the county recently.

Do not expect a Savannah though. This is a small-town. Still, plenty of activities for your family.

Good Luck,
- Jeff

Old 12-14-2011, 05:36 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Just an update on the Job Fair.

The Evening News showed the line of about 4000 people that lined up this morning for the opening of the Jobs Fair for about 400 jobs.

They would all be allowed to fill out applications.

So, unless your husbnd was here and had an unusual specialty, I would say that his chances were very slim.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:26 PM

878 posts, read 1,652,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

The Evening News showed the line of about 4000 people that lined up this morning for the opening of the Jobs Fair for about 400 jobs.

So, unless your husbnd was here and had an unusual specialty, I would say that his chances were very slim.
I would have to agree... I spent '99 to May 2011 in Savannah, and worked at Great Dane from '03 till it closed.

I then moved to a machine shop job for a few years and was laid off in Nov. 2009. I was unemployed till Sept. 2010 when I started at the new Mitsubishi plant in Pooler. I was laid off in Jan. 2011, coincidentally the day before my 90 day probationary period was over... imagine that. So I went back on unemployment. After 4 more months I gave up and decided to start searching nationwide.

May 1st I started looking coast to coast, and on May 2nd I found an aerospace job in Auburn, WA right outside of Seattle. After 2 weeks of jumping thru hoops, taking local drug tests, background checks, etc... I was offered the job. I left Savannah on May 17th, arrived in WA on May 22nd, and started work on the 27th.

It's been a great 7 months so far... full time job with benefits, monthly bonuses and profit sharing.

What's ironic is in October 2010 Mitsubishi flew me to Seattle for CNC programming training in Kent, WA with Flow Waterjet for my job in Georgia. The job I got in Auburn is running the same machines... and Auburn is right next to Kent. Small world eh? I guess I should thank Mitsubishi for the tech training they paid for.

P.S. I made $12.50 as my last hourly wage at Great Dane when it closed. Maybe they pay higher now but I doubt it. I am happy to say though that I am making quite a bit more than that out here.

Good luck... unemployment is horrible. I don't miss Georgia or my monthly Georgia power bill in the summer... I never turned A/C on once the entire summer out here, and we didn't even see 80 degrees till Labor Day. It was a gorgeous 65-75 all summer...

Old 12-21-2011, 06:56 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

About 75% of the applicants will be thrown out due to

1.) Education
2.) Criminal history
3.) Work history.
4.) Drug screening.

Dane can be picky right now and will screen people based upon these criteria.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:23 PM

28 posts, read 36,270 times
About 75% of the applicants will be thrown out due to

1.) Education

2.) Criminal history
3.) Work history.
4.) Drug screening.

First of all, I apologize for not knowing how to include a previous quote! My husband has found a job, so he is no longer interested in Great Dane, but he probably would have had a good chance of being hired. He has NO criminal history, does NOT and NEVER has done drugs, graduated high school, and has worked at the same job for the last 26 years.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:07 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Wonderful news! I know that you are happy that he found a job so quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area