Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 05:49 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times

Advertisements

We also do not have the population density to support it at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 09:35 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
I think we may have a different idea of what a high rise building is. The big white building that you are referring to is probably the Old Savannah Bank Building. It's the tallest in the Historic District. It's not what most people would consider a "high rise."

Also, multi-storied buildings now require parking space for the future tenants. There is NO place within the historic area that could be converted into building plus parking. It would require demolition of much useful property.

However, in the areas that are not within the city limits there are, and will be, many office buildings. It's just not neccessary to build UP when there is space to build and spread out. Savannah is lucky that we have such areas to build on.

A "high rise" building is not really a sign of progress. Such a building is good when there is a large area of dilapidated buildings that need to be razed. Otherwise, it's not really needed.

Interesting post. It shows the difference that surroundings can make on the way a city grows. And Savannah is still growing. We started with tents and teepees.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:32 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,532,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I think we may have a different idea of what a high rise building is. The big white building that you are referring to is probably the Old Savannah Bank Building. It's the tallest in the Historic District. It's not what most people would consider a "high rise."

Also, multi-storied buildings now require parking space for the future tenants. There is NO place within the historic area that could be converted into building plus parking. It would require demolition of much useful property.

However, in the areas that are not within the city limits there are, and will be, many office buildings. It's just not neccessary to build UP when there is space to build and spread out. Savannah is lucky that we have such areas to build on.

A "high rise" building is not really a sign of progress. Such a building is good when there is a large area of dilapidated buildings that need to be razed. Otherwise, it's not really needed.

Interesting post. It shows the difference that surroundings can make on the way a city grows. And Savannah is still growing. We started with tents and teepees.
Huchinson island....

Old 12-08-2011, 05:45 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
Huchinson island....
Have you already forgotten about demand? It was mentioned several times over in this thread. Also, even if there was a demand, there is a height restriction in place throughout the city and Hutchinson Island is within the city limits.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Have you already forgotten about demand? It was mentioned several times over in this thread. Also, even if there was a demand, there is a height restriction in place throughout the city and Hutchinson Island is within the city limits.
Okay, when I say high rise, that means 10-25 stories tall, skyscraper 26-~ infinty, savannah when I say highrise I mean like at least 2, 17 story buildings at least, or at least by I-16 or by that 20 story building in the medical district off of harry truman freeway. I'm a mapwizard so thats why i KNOW all this map stuff about locations in Savannah, talk to me as an equal.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:54 AM

OK...let's try one more time. In most instances, buildings are built with private funds. The investors are expecting a return on their investments in the form of income from rental space. Money does not go in, unless a return is expected.

If there is NO need for that space, no one will rent, empty spaces do not generate income. Therefore, no one wastes money building empty buildings. UNDERSTAND????? No demand, no income.

So, why should anyone want to invest in a Savannah multi-storied building? We have plenty of empty rental space including parking.

The Tower that you refer to on Waters near the Truman Parkway is housing for the elderly. It was built for that purpose. I believe it was with federal funding. It is NOT an income producing building. We recently tore down another one like it as it had become very run down and dilapidated. We expect that this one will also come down as the low-rise apartments for the elderly are more practical.
And such low-rise apartments are being built.

LOW RISE...not HIGH. There is NO demand for high rise buildings. None. Savannah is not like Atlanta or Macon. We can, and do, build lower.

There is NO DEMAND for multi-storied buildings.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:42 AM

Okay, howa bout 18 story condos, those are useful.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
Okay, howa bout 18 story condos, those are useful.
Yes, they are useful. IF an area needs them. Again, Savannah has plenty of condos, any price range you want. Why build an 18 story one if there is NO NEED for it?

There is also a couple of other things that regulate tall condo building here. Building low, under the trees requires less air conditioning. People seem to prefer the lower apartments. If a building is high enough for an elevator, there will be additional cost for maintaining a safe and usable lift. Why would anyone want to live in a building that needs an Elevator! Or Carry groceries up a couple of flights of stairs.

We also have a tree ordinance. I don't remember the details, but if a developer goes into a wooded area and cuts down the big trees, he is required to replace them. This means that a parking lot will have planted areas for those trees. More $$$$$$. I think condos or other apartment types, require two parking places for every apartment. That would make a big parking lot for an 18 story building.

So you see, there is no need for more multi-storied buildings in Savannah. We have, by design and planning, aimed for maintaining a low profile city. We like it that way. It's cooler, easier to live in and looks better.

We can continue this discussion as long as you like. I have the time to do that if you want to. But please, think about the fact that Savannah doesn't have any demand for multi-storied buildings at this time. Should the time ever come when we use up all available land, maybe then, but will be a long, long time in the future.

Planning for the future seems to be a good way to go, don't you think?

Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
The new convention hotel planned for Hutchinson Island is proposed as a 12-story Hilton. Does that qualify as a highrise? Within the historic district, a new "office tower" -- the Cay Building -- is qucikly going up at Whitaker and Bryan streets on Ellis Square. While certainly not "super-tall" it's 6 stories is as tall as a building can be within the Historic District. Beyond height, it is remarkable for what it has done to the density and "shadowcasting" in that part of downtown. It has really filled in a big hole in the urban fabric of the city, and the only 75 feet or so high, completely blocks the view from City Market of the old historic Savannah Foods tower at 1 E. Bryan (the tallest building in downtown).

Old 12-10-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The new convention hotel planned for Hutchinson Island is proposed as a 12-story Hilton. Does that qualify as a highrise? Within the historic district, a new "office tower" -- the Cay Building -- is qucikly going up at Whitaker and Bryan streets on Ellis Square. While certainly not "super-tall" it's 6 stories is as tall as a building can be within the Historic District. Beyond height, it is remarkable for what it has done to the density and "shadowcasting" in that part of downtown. It has really filled in a big hole in the urban fabric of the city, and the only 75 feet or so high, completely blocks the view from City Market of the old historic Savannah Foods tower at 1 E. Bryan (the tallest building in downtown).
Oh snap guys, I forgot all about the convention center hotel in savannah, thats in the range I was speaking of. but yeah, they should wait until all spacee is filled out first. and the one in macon is real nice. it is 15 stories tall, has tow triangular pyrimid like structures on the top, and is to be the talles structure when built. also their closed ramada will soon be an embassy, and Macon's convention center hoteel is a marriot, augusta has an on hold hyatt regency, but i dont know if augusta has hieght restrictions. columbus is said to have a bad market for highrise, but now i see that all they are building is mid rise condos..... brunswick tried to gets some highrises along with gainesville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area