Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,769 times

Advertisements

I am a semi-finalist for a teaching position at GSU and my wife and I are doing research on Statesboro. We are budgeting about $900 a month for rent (This is a non-tenured position and there's no guarantee how long the appointment will be. Because of that, we're not considering buying). We understand Statesboro is a small community and that is not necessarily a negative but we do not to go much smaller. Unless a community is kind of close to Statesboro, if it's smaller, we probably won't consider it. Our primary concerns are what seem to be a crime rate that is relatively high coupled with high unemployment. What parts of Statesboro should we begin looking for housing? What parts should we absolutely avoid? Does it matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 08:49 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,084,670 times
As Statesboro is not part of the Savannah area, you may wish to ask your question on the general Georgia board.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:15 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,777,695 times
I think Statesboro is well enough within the Savannah region (45 minutes) to leave the OP here. It's likely to get lost on the general GA thread which gets very little traffic.

I do not know Statesboro enough to tell you much, except it's a very nice town and has lots of growth going on. While primarily a college town (20,000 students as of last fall) it is also the primary retail / commercial center fors a large area and the center of SE Georgia's agricultural industry, so there's lots of farm supply, tractor dealers and cotton gins in the area. That's not to say it is hick or redneck IMO -- it's a university town after all -- but most definitely not an urban area.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:21 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,921,120 times
Statesboro is the largest town in the immediate area besides Savannah, of course.
The town is very nice overall. I will admit I don't know enough to tell you an ideal area of town, but over the years, I've noticed most of the development trend towards the east and south.
If you have $900 devoted to rent here, you'll do just fine! There are some apartments I've seen in the area (devoted to college students) that have been as low as $300 a month.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:39 PM

49,976 posts, read 63,287,500 times
I can only tell you that when we were house hunting in the Savannah area we included Statesboro in our possibles. We used the Walmart test, and Statesboro flunked. If you are not familiar with the Walmart test it is where you go to the local Walmart and see if your kind of people shop there. Please don't think I mean anything racial, because I don't. You just get a feel for the general population...kind of like you can get a feel for the school system by watching the kids come out of the junior high.
We saw a few nice houses but they were on dirt roads and this freaked us out.
I am not an expert, so there might be some nice apartments in your price range.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:52 AM

11,364 posts, read 24,319,862 times
Ask around your department, if you get the job. Ask the admin in the office or the people you interview with. There will be plenty of people who will be more than happy to advise you.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:00 PM

107 posts, read 187,046 times
My dad lives in Statesboro and has so for 20+ years. They live in Bulloch County. It is a very nice area. I don't think anyone should do a Walmart test to see where you want to live. One store should not determine where one resides. Maybe you can do that for public schools, however visiting a school district and talking with kids and teachers is better then stalking kids on their way home from school. They have a nice mall there. It seemed to be pretty spread out when I was there visiting. This town and Savannah are in the running for me when I decide to make my move south. Good luck to you on your apartment hunt and the job.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:21 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle73 View Post
They have a nice mall there.
That mall is incredibly small. I know Statesboro is a small town, but it IS a regional hub for Bulloch, Evans, Candler, Jenkins and Screven counties (even Effingham to some degree). I think Statesboro should offer something larger than what it has mall-wise. Perhaps when the economy is bustling again.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:45 PM

2,487 posts, read 1,826,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
That mall is incredibly small. I know Statesboro is a small town, but it IS a regional hub for Bulloch, Evans, Candler, Jenkins and Screven counties (even Effingham to some degree). I think Statesboro should offer something larger than what it has mall-wise. Perhaps when the economy is bustling again.
Completely agree. You can't throw a stone without hitting a Screven County license tag in the parking lot, not to mention the crowded Wal-Mart.

To answer the question of the original post, there are several cheap appartments you can find on campus like Centinnial Place, Campus Club, or The Cove granted that you don't mind living next to a bunch of students. I'm not as knowledgable on apartments as I am on houses, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area