Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 AM

291 posts, read 1,061,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lj42660 View Post
Everyone has their opinion and I don't expect everyone to feel the same way as I do. It has now been over a year and things are worse. This is a hot humid place where people are typically (not always) unfriendly. Atlanta may be hot, but I would rather have lower humidity. I am not from Atlanta to begin with. What I don't understand about these forums is that it seems as if people take things personally. Every one of us has our own opinion. I'm not slamming people that love Savannah. I read through these forums so that I can perhaps try to see the good things about Savannah. I'm still not there, but I continue to try. I came here with a positive attitude and life here has turned it to negativity. My husband hates it here as well. We don't actually live in Savannah, we are in Port Wentworth. We have been to Savannah which has charm, but once you do things there it's pretty much over with. If so many people loved Savannah there would be a higher population here. Jobs are scarce, housing is overpriced, locals make sure we know that we don't fit in, crime is horrible, businesses are shut down everywhere around here, I'm tired of being bit by bugs, and the weather is suffocating in the summer and in the winter months if it does get cooler hurts your bones because of the high moisture content in the air. Right now that is my take on the Savannah area. Hopefully my perspective will change....at least I hope so.
Hmm, that's how I feel... 3 years still after I moved here. If you can get used to it, you'll be fine but I'd say if you still aren't happy after a year, you either move or just deal with it, sadly. My husband and I are only here because we have to be, soon moving to WA state, yay!

Some things that I like about Savannah and try to remind myself all of the time:

- Low traffic (except for Georgetown and 21 during rush hour... oh and going to Tybee at tourist high peaks)
- You don't have to travel too far to go shopping (unless you want really go shopping and buy nice things, you either have to go to the outlet or Atlanta or Jacksonville)
- No snow ( but then you have to deal with the bugs and humidity for most of the year)
- Historic district is pretty (but then downtown is pretty crummy and ridden with poor people trying to sell you junkie things made out of corn husk)
- Southern Charm (but that's only if you agree with everything they say and don't voice your true opinion because then you are just a complainer)

So as you can see, there are pro's and con's to everything.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 03:17 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Shows how much you know Melissa: Those aren't CORN HUSKS they're PALM FRONDS!

Old 02-21-2012, 03:30 PM

291 posts, read 1,061,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Shows how much you know Melissa: Those aren't CORN HUSKS they're PALM FRONDS!
Just shows how ugly they are then, lol.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:01 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
My DH and I have been there done that, all over the country. We could love any number of places, like Seattle, or the California wine country, or the coast of Maine, or a hundred other places. We wound up here because we were finished with northern winters, and because our baby, who we dearly love, is a soldier in Savannah, and we hope for a new crop of grandchildren someday.

Anyway, I think that every place has its drawbacks, and it depends upon what you are used to.
Savannah is an upgrade from NE Ohio, because of the winter. Do we hate the heat and humidity of summer? Yes, but the tradeoff is the climate is great most other times, and we can go to the beach any time we want, and be back home in a half hour.

Bottom line is that there are things to hate anywhere. You could live in Carmel, California for free and still find something to hate, if you had that mindset.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:20 PM

40 posts, read 153,823 times
I don't believe I ever said the things I don't like about this area is a direct slam on Savannah (I may live in Port Wentworth but I am 1 mile from Savannah). I agree that there will always be things about places that you don't care for. I am a happy person generally speaking I just do not care for heat and humidity. We are doing our best to try and relocate to another part of the country. I was under the impression that these forums were to inform people of how they feel or what they like or dislike about an area, or to give people their point of view on living in this area. This is the whole reason I addressed that it was my opinion. If you all like Savannah then that is great. Southern Georgia is a very repressed area, almost anywhere you drive you will see that. I could go on but then I get verbally bashed. Listen to the man who lived here and finally got out- I believe he said he's very happy now. Once again- everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:43 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Has anyone said that we love the heat, humidity and bugs? No, we haven't. We hate it too, but we have learned that it doesn't do any good to complain about it. It's our opinion that the heat and humidity are here to stay. Anyone that moves here expecting it to be just like it was back home, needs more than information. They need an elementary school education in geography

So complain all you want to. Just remember that you aren't the only one and sometimes a post full of the usual complaints is just one too many.

And yes, a lot of South Georgia is a repressed area. Does complaining about it do any good? Do what you can about where you hang your hat and try to forget the other parts.

Here's hoping that you find a way out soon. I really mean that. It's not a matter of liking Savannah as it is being here because it's home. I can understand that everyone needs to find that sort of place.

Good Luck!!

Old 04-04-2012, 12:03 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Has anyone said that we love the heat, humidity and bugs?
Heat, humidity and bugs don't bother me a bit. Sorry. Love it.

LOL
Pink Caddy

Old 04-12-2012, 01:11 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
Nobody would be "wrong" to call me a pessismist but, I consider myself a "realist".

What I like about Savannah:

-Warm weather most, if not all of the year.

-Cheap; a McJob can beat most of your bills here, or all if you can snag 50hrs. somehow.

-Low crime in most areas, except for that section of Savannah with numbered streets.

What I don't like about Savannah:

-The racial undertones of this place, there are clearly ghetto black and repressive white areas, it makes this place feel like ...the past. It's not open but, you can feel the segregation almost...

-Lack of commercial competition in many arenas, like Comcast. A lot of products and services suck here because they have a monopoly, or close to it.

-The lack of employment, you are either a Soldier (God Bless them), work at Gulfstream... or you have some service / stock job a.k.a McJob. The economy is not diverse.

-The Cops, not that they're really well-liked anywhere but here their reputation as ticket-writing, tax-collecting, shammers who don't go after tough criminals, is well-earned.

-Not enough to do, but this may be highly subjective since I'm from NYC.

-The DRIVERS!!! I have seen more accidents in ANY 1 week I have been here than I've seen in 19 years in NYC total. Don't believe me? Call GEICO, NYC insurance (even Fairbanks, Alaska where it's iced over 5 months of the year) is actually LESS than Savannah, GA. Do they just give out licenses as cereal prizes here? What! The amount of driving- dumbassery I see on a daily basis here is just ...indescribable. Unfortunately it's never gonna change, Savannah is in the middle of a coastal marsh so the amount of space that can be used is limited, so if there is no driving there is no economy... such as it is...

Old 04-12-2012, 10:07 PM

18 posts, read 19,342 times
Every place is going to have somthing about it thats not perfect. If you go to New Orleans they have heat and crime. If you go to Heartford Conn. they have Cold and crime. If you go to LA they have smog and crime. Mexico has heat, cold, and kidnaping. I could go on and on. I have lived or worked in the mentioned areas including Savannah. Got tired of the city life and bought a farm in Miss. A very rauel area. Its 15 miles from my house to the closest gas station. I love it. My wife hates it and wants to move to Savannah. You just have to be big on what you have that is posative. In Savannah you have a beautiful city, with plenty of rich history, good food and charming people for the most part. When I worked there I could not belive how nice the people were. Im sure that if I had gotten off in a bad party of town that would not have been the case. Then again if you get off on a bad part of my farm its not so nice either. I am surrounded by 5500 acreas of pine trees where I'm at now. I sit on my porch in the mornings and have coffee and look @ my cows. In the evening I sit on my porch, have a cocktail, and listen to owls and coyatotys. I have had the chance to live and work in many different places in my life. Including Newport RI. Oh yes. Newport has its hangups too. Other than being where I'm @ right now in Mississippi(and yes Ms. has its hang ups too) there is no other place I would rather be than Savannah Ga having a cocktail and watching the boats go up and down the river. You see. I married a "Southern Belle" from Ms. that had nevered traveled much in her life. That was 9 years ago. I took her to Savannah on our honeymoon. We drove there from Ms. During our drive there she ask me why Savannah for the honeymoon? I told her because it was one of the nicest places that I had ever been. Above Alaska, Hawai, or anywhere. In a year and a half we will be married 10 years. I have ask her where she wanted to go for a 10 year anniversy trip. Not Cancun or Bora Bora or any place like that. Savannah Ga. Be happy with the charming little town that Sherman elected not to burn. Go to the Priate House and have some food and wine. Go on a buggy ride thru the squares. I'll see you there in a year and a half. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area