Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 05:19 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times

Advertisements

"they hate it", "run fast as you can...the crime, the bugs, the humidity, the heat, backward ppl.,no culture, no jobs."

I MORE than wonder, I don't understand. why anyone would want to wake up each day and be so unhappy and discontented. What purpose does it serve to past thru life saying "I can't wait to leave Savannah....why it's a hellhole!"

I understand that "the economy" could be a factor. But, we are living in historical times. This crisis has affected the world,not this little patch called Sav. Ga.Do you really "hate" Sav.for that? Enough to tell others to "stay away at any costs"? You still can leave and I don't mean that in an arrogant way. Just in a practical way.

And I can understand if the military had a part in you living here for a short period of time. That is part of the package when one enlists. Still, it not a reason to post negative thoughts and hatered of a city that many of us love.
And, your time of stay here will come and you will move on to your next base.

In all other situations, it seems to me, one has choices. Just curious, but why stay somewhere that you don't find happiness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 05:35 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
In a volunteer Army with two wars going on, people enlist...why? Then they act like jerks after serving three tours of duty... I'd say there is a strong relationship between A and B.

Of course it's not their fault. They are just pawns in some big multi-national game of violence for power. They feel they have no control over their personal situation in life, but they are more than welcome to vent.

Now where is the sarcasm thingie?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:35 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post

Now where is the sarcasm thingie?
It's in your "To Do" file but not right now. Perhaps if this thread lasts you might need it later. lol

Old 04-05-2012, 07:51 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
I used to work in the personnel office of a BIG firm. You would not believe that way some would dress when they came in looking for work. Sloppy, dirty, careless. And the Attitudes!!! It was sort of "You stupid _____, Hire me or bedamned"

They were politely given an application and then forgotten. If they came looking for a job like that, how would they dress and act if they managed to land one?

Old 04-05-2012, 05:18 PM

107 posts, read 187,911 times
It is sad to hear such horrible things about such a beautiful historic town. I absolutely fell in love with Savannah once as a child and once last March. I vowed to move there in hopefully 3-5 years. Like the original poster stated, the economy downfall has hit every where. I live in Michigan and it us hard. I work in the medical field as a Certified Surgical Technologist. So hopefully by time I am ready to move with my family, there will be jobs available in my field. Until then I will continue working here in Michigan through the University of Michigan Health Systems doing what I love most. Savannah will be there and hopefully be full of more people that love it and less that don't.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,653 times
Default Excited to Move

I have visited Savannah a few times in my life, twice as a kid and twice once I decided on a grad school.

I have to say I love the feel I get here, but it is true there are a lot of people on these boards who seem to complain. I live in Los Angeles after moving there from San Francisco and there is so much about LA that I dislike, and of course some has to do with the attitudes of the people.

I too have noticed people who try to get jobs who do not care, but that is in California too. This economic situation has hurt us all, but I am not letting it impact how I feel about my move!

I cannot wait to be somewhere new and see what I can make of it!

Old 04-06-2012, 04:18 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
NorCalgrl "I cannot wait to be somewhere new and see what I can make of it!"

This was how I felt when we moved to Savannah. I have not been disappointed. We still have not come close to seeing all there is to see, eating at all the restaurants, seeing the constant stream of entertainment that flows through the city.

For me, moving south from the NE was like moving to Mars. I was lucky to find a job in the Historic district, so I feel as if I'm included in the best part of the Savannah experience. I'm a part of the excitement of the tourists and the pulse of things. I'm thrilled to be able to grab a chair and go to the beach for a few hours anytime I want. Gone are the days of having to plan your whole year around getting to a beach, and then spending a fortune and traveling across the country with a car packed full of stuff.

Even though our circumstances changed drastically as soon as we got here (DH lost the job that brought us down here), we have been able to realign and regroup, even having no connections or familiar surroundings.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:02 AM

I don't realize northern Ohio was the NE.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:41 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I don't realize northern Ohio was the NE.
Your point being?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 PM

Honesty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: