Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 02:29 PM

3 posts, read 8,201 times

Advertisements

We are an empty nester couple on their 50/60's and are looking to relocate to Savannah. We've been looking at houses on realtor.com and really liked the old ones around downtown. After getting into this forum we got a little confused about a good area for us. We have a boat that needs to be kept in a marina, but at the same time we don't want to live in an area that we would feel too isolated. We would like to live within walking distance from the center of a small town, wich we thought Savannah would be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 04:21 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elerbee View Post
We are an empty nester couple on their 50/60's and are looking to relocate to Savannah. We've been looking at houses on realtor.com and really liked the old ones around downtown. After getting into this forum we got a little confused about a good area for us. We have a boat that needs to be kept in a marina, but at the same time we don't want to live in an area that we would feel too isolated. We would like to live within walking distance from the center of a small town, wich we thought Savannah would be it.

Ok, there's a problem here.... finding a home within walking distance from the center of a small town, is going to be very hard to do.

This area is just not built that way. Savannah is not what you would call a small town. It's no Miami, but the Metropolitan Area spreads out for miles and has a population of over 250,000. The Historic District is small, I think about 2.5 square miles, You can walk everywhere there, but not everyone is happy living in the district where tourists are so abundant. The HD is a lovely, interesting area, especially in the Spring. It just depends on what would suit you best.

Savannah is surrounded be rivers, but the marinas are on the East side of the county. There is one on the Isle of Hope, a couple at Thunderbolt, a small town that abuts the city limits of Savannah, and at Wilmington and Whitmarsh Islands, both across the river at Thunderbolt. All are either on or have access to the Inter-coastal Waterway.

Your best bet would be to come and visit. All the areas that have marinas also have nice places to buy or rent.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:18 AM

Thank you for your thoughts. A visit is what we intend.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:02 PM

726 posts, read 3,603,133 times
Quote:
walking distance from the center of a small town
Pooler or Bloomingdale would be the closest to small towns with a city center and older homes within walking distance. or perhaps the Habersham Village area in Ardsley park

Old 10-02-2007, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Ok, there's a problem here.... finding a home within walking distance from the center of a small town, is going to be very hard to do.

This area is just not built that way. Savannah is not what you would call a small town. It's no Miami, but the Metropolitan Area spreads out for miles and has a population of over 250,000. The Historic District is small, I think about 2.5 square miles, You can walk everywhere there, but not everyone is happy living in the district where tourists are so abundant. The HD is a lovely, interesting area, especially in the Spring. It just depends on what would suit you best.

Savannah is surrounded be rivers, but the marinas are on the East side of the county. There is one on the Isle of Hope, a couple at Thunderbolt, a small town that abuts the city limits of Savannah, and at Wilmington and Whitmarsh Islands, both across the river at Thunderbolt. All are either on or have access to the Inter-coastal Waterway.

Your best bet would be to come and visit. All the areas that have marinas also have nice places to buy or rent.
if we for example buy a house in the $300's what would our real estate taxes be?

Old 03-22-2009, 08:58 PM

3 posts, read 6,812 times
Default Savannah...

We moved to Savannah over the Xmas holiday. There are several marinas but I don't know of any long term marinas within walking distance of the city. Isle of Hope is a lovely little community but doesn't have a village proper that I can see. We are on Whitemarsh Island... near Wilmington Island and Thunderbolt... It's 15 min to beautiful downtown and 15 min to Tybee Island and the ocean. Our boat is up on Lake Champlain in NYState where we'll go to beat the hot, humid Savannah summers. Good luck. We love it here!

Old 03-22-2009, 09:02 PM

3 posts, read 6,812 times
Default Beaufort

Just had another thought... look at Beaufort, SC... a nice marina right in town... easy access to ocean... nice large bay... charming town!
Again.. good luck!http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...lies/smile.gif

Old 03-23-2009, 06:01 AM

737 posts, read 2,459,518 times
Savannah is like San Diego in that it sprawls in all directions.
Marinas are mostly confined to on the river/The Islands.
No small quaint towns out here on Whitemarsh/Wilmington/Tybee.
Not like in upstate N.Y. or Maine.
Don't know much about the West side of the county, but on the East I don't think you would ever find a place that is isolated.
I think you'll like it here.
I wish you good fortune.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:40 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,083,751 times
There are two small towns about a hour south of Savannah that are walkable and have easy access from town to the local marina: Darien and Brunswick.

www.cityofdarienga.com

www.brunswickga.org

St Simons Island also has a couple of marinas and a walkable village. The village isn't easily walkable to the marina, but very bikeable (the island has walk/bike trails all over it).

www.explorestsimons.com

I think all three of these towns are worth a look on your way to Savannah.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:31 PM

5 posts, read 24,919 times
I just read your post and I agree with the post above that St Simons Island may be the place for you.

Check out the link below. It is for a brand new condo community that is right at the marina. The views are stunning and there is no other property like it in St Simons.

It is a short ways from downtown and easy access to Brunswick.

The Waterfront at Golden Isles Marina, St. Simons Island, Georgia

It could be the perfect place for you! Let me know if you have any questions. I have been to both Savannah and St Simons many times and I would pick St Simons to live any day!

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area