Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 06:22 PM

11,393 posts, read 24,436,628 times

Advertisements

Good question. I've been here long enough to have seen this repeated in several waves. I once thought it enough to be an active and visible resident of marginal neighborhoods and get to know my neighbors. I still write letters to elected officials. I vote. I spread information about progressive ideas.

But other than camping out on the steps of city hall and making a public nuisance over the issue, I don't know.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 08:22 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
I'm with Ellie. Other than making a big noise, what can we do? I just saw on the 10 o'clock news that the whole community is up in arms and the police department, city hall and media are getting slammed with phone calls and emails demanding action. I know it seems puny, but at least it's a start. The sleeping giant has been awoken.

If somebody organized a "safe streets" march through downtown, I'd be at the front of the line.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Perhaps the question should not be "What's wrong with this city," but instead, "What's wrong with certain people."

Maybe just making it harder to get guns would help. But the NRA thinks it's our right to carry arms.

There is no doubt that some people are having a hard time with not enough money to buy the things they want. Guns provide an easy way to get more. Get a gun and you won't need a paycheck.

(in case there are some that don't understand, I am being sarcastic)
Tell me about how criminals care about getting guns legally to rob people.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:24 AM

I believe one of the reasons crime has gotten worse is because our imported former police chief Berkow left and went back to LA. He was using scientific research techniques to home in on crime "families" to track their activities and actually prevent crime before it happened. We had a relatively good run when he was here.

Now that old Willie Lovett is chief we've gone back to the old out-moded status quo, who knows what. We need a more sophisticated way to get a handle on our problems. The old way is not working.

And we need to increase what we pay police officers so they know they are appreciated. I've heard they receive scandalously low salaries here. (we could dock the city mamager's pay by half and spread the wealth)

Old 09-06-2012, 09:07 PM

32 posts, read 45,224 times
Will be first time travelling to Savannah soon, any tips on safety?

Old 09-06-2012, 10:04 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,967,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I believe one of the reasons crime has gotten worse is because our imported former police chief Berkow left and went back to LA. He was using scientific research techniques to home in on crime "families" to track their activities and actually prevent crime before it happened. We had a relatively good run when he was here.

Now that old Willie Lovett is chief we've gone back to the old out-moded status quo, who knows what. We need a more sophisticated way to get a handle on our problems. The old way is not working.

And we need to increase what we pay police officers so they know they are appreciated. I've heard they receive scandalously low salaries here. (we could dock the city mamager's pay by half and spread the wealth)
Agreed. I miss Berkow.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:22 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellefrozenincanada View Post
Will be first time travelling to Savannah soon, any tips on safety?
Despite last weekend's unfortunate spike in violence, I still say Savannah is no more dangerous than any other similar place. And after the awareness that's been raised by these incidents, you can believe everybody will be on their toes. I was just downtown tonight, and there were police on every street corner, in every hotel lobby. I don't know how you could NOT feel safe in Savannah right now. Just be smart and you'll be alright.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:50 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
Good question. I've been here long enough to have seen this repeated in several waves. I once thought it enough to be an active and visible resident of marginal neighborhoods and get to know my neighbors. I still write letters to elected officials. I vote. I spread information about progressive ideas.

But other than camping out on the steps of city hall and making a public nuisance over the issue, I don't know.

What do you think?
What progressive ideas?
My definition of progressive ideas does not address the basic flaw that has caused the breakdown of the family unit that is at the core of crime.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:42 PM

Heck, I don't even remember what I was thinking three days ago.

BUT -- I really think there's away to end generations of welfare without being so freaking hateful. Unfortunately, it would probably require stricter checks and balances and create more gov't than about 50% of our population wants.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:42 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
Heck, I don't even remember what I was thinking three days ago.

BUT -- I really think there's away to end generations of welfare without being so freaking hateful. Unfortunately, it would probably require stricter checks and balances and create more gov't than about 50% of our population wants.
It seems to me we've been throwing money at social programs since the Johnson years, and it does no good. The solution IMO is fathers in the home helping to raise their own children. Call me old fashioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area