U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 09-21-2012, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
35,568 posts, read 43,729,867 times
Reputation: 20241

Advertisements

Greetings!

I am an NC native, now living in Charlotte and thinking we want to retire to Savannah (we have family ties there and one son attended SCAD). We are downsizing and have thought about a townhome. We have a small second home in the Boone/Blowing Rock area so we want to keep the price down on a retirement home so we can keep both places. That might not be possible but - it's a goal!

Saw a really great looking house online today! It is in Salt Creek Landing.

I know nothing about this development. Anyone give me the scoop?

Just checking things out - we don't have our Charlotte house on the market as we were planning to wait til Spring, but seeing these cute houses and townhomes is making me wonder if I should get moving and get this house sold ASAP.

Hubby is in Savannah this weekend with our son, who is attending a conference there. So he could do a driveby if you all have suggestions of places he should check out.

Thank you so much for any info/advice!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2012, 06:14 AM
 
Location: a primitive state
7,133 posts, read 12,301,964 times
Reputation: 6450
It's one of those newish subdivisions out there off of Ogeechee Rd. it's close to a good grocery store, not terribly far from town and more conveniently located than Pooler, Rincon, or Georgetown.

If I had to guess at who lives there, I'd say there will be a high percentage of military, some young families, blue collar to lower echelon white collar; but mostly people without roots in the area.

Crime won't be much of a problem. It's probably swampy and buggy due to its location. Check the CEMA hurricane map to see at which stage the property could be inundated. Looks like a Category 2.

http://www.chathamemergency.org/imag...rm%20Surge.jpg

Last edited by ellie; 09-22-2012 at 06:28 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 02:42 PM
 
6,981 posts, read 16,628,511 times
Reputation: 6532
I think you could do better. There are some pictures posted on the internet. It looks sort of blah to me. I could be wrong, but it looks more like a brackish pond, than what we usually think of as a salt water landing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
35,568 posts, read 43,729,867 times
Reputation: 20241
Thank you both!

Yes, I got on google street and meeehh.

The listing made it look quite different, lol. Surprise!

I have been looking at old homes ca. 1900-1920 in the city today. I don't know why I didn't think about using google street before. I found one I like much much better, located at 836 Maupas. I think I would rather get into a rehab situation in an old established neighborhood.

I was surprised to see how many townhomes at reasonable prices are available, too.

On another note, hubby and son have enjoyed the evenings together. Tonight they are going to the crab shack - Tybee Island. Last night they went to an Italian restaurant that is supposed to have terrific flounder but I can't remember the name. Then they ended up at Murphy's Law and enjoyed it there.

We are thinking it may be more fun to be in town. Thoughts?

And again, thank you for taking the time to reply! It is very much appreciated.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
35,568 posts, read 43,729,867 times
Reputation: 20241
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
It's one of those newish subdivisions out there off of Ogeechee Rd. it's close to a good grocery store, not terribly far from town and more conveniently located than Pooler, Rincon, or Georgetown.

If I had to guess at who lives there, I'd say there will be a high percentage of military, some young families, blue collar to lower echelon white collar; but mostly people without roots in the area.

Crime won't be much of a problem. It's probably swampy and buggy due to its location. Check the CEMA hurricane map to see at which stage the property could be inundated. Looks like a Category 2.

http://www.chathamemergency.org/imag...rm%20Surge.jpg
Wanted to tell you - I was not aware such a map existed. This is very helpful. Appreciate the link!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
35,568 posts, read 43,729,867 times
Reputation: 20241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I think you could do better. There are some pictures posted on the internet. It looks sort of blah to me. I could be wrong, but it looks more like a brackish pond, than what we usually think of as a salt water landing.
I am thinking brackish pond, as well, lol!

Google street is my friend now . . . going to go wander around some more . . . feel free to steer me in any direction at all!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 04:05 PM
 
Location: a primitive state
7,133 posts, read 12,301,964 times
Reputation: 6450
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Thank you both!

Yes, I got on google street and meeehh.

The listing made it look quite different, lol. Surprise!

I have been looking at old homes ca. 1900-1920 in the city today. I don't know why I didn't think about using google street before. I found one I like much much better, located at 836 Maupas. I think I would rather get into a rehab situation in an old established neighborhood.

I was surprised to see how many townhomes at reasonable prices are available, too.

On another note, hubby and son have enjoyed the evenings together. Tonight they are going to the crab shack - Tybee Island. Last night they went to an Italian restaurant that is supposed to have terrific flounder but I can't remember the name. Then they ended up at Murphy's Law and enjoyed it there.

We are thinking it may be more fun to be in town. Thoughts?

And again, thank you for taking the time to reply! It is very much appreciated.
I think Maupas is one of the prettiest streets in town. Some parts of the neighborhood nearby are a bit transitional to downright rough but on the whole it's a great location to consider living in. You have to decide whether you want to put up with always having to be extra vigilant.

If you go on the other side of Victory Drive, you'll be in the heart of Ardsley Park. The homes there are more expensive. Parkside might be a good option, too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 04:10 PM
 
6,981 posts, read 16,628,511 times
Reputation: 6532
Now, about the hurricane map.....yeah, it could flood like that. However, the last big hurricanne that we had was in 1893. In the 80+years that I have been here, we haven't had anything like that.

It could happen....so could an earthquake or blizzard. That's one thing about this area.....anything could happen, and it might happen soon. We just don't think it likely or we wouldn't stay here.

The Maupas house could be nice or not, it's in a neighborhood that has seen a lot of changes recently.

There are a lot of older homes that date back to the early 1900s. Come visit!! And, one piece of advice that is good anywhere----RENT FIRST, BUY LATER.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 04:18 PM
 
Location: a primitive state
7,133 posts, read 12,301,964 times
Reputation: 6450
I figure if you're moving here from someplace else, it doesn't hurt to know the lay of the land, so to speak. Look at the Islands. They'll all flood if a hurricane hits.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Savannah, ga
1 posts, read 816 times
Reputation: 10
I know this is rather late but I live in Salt Creek Landing and if you want and insiders input I'm here for ya
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top