Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,948 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am new to this thing. I am moving to Savannah, GA in April 2008. I wanted to know what you all think about Savannah. How is it there? whats it like? I have always wanted to live in GA because of the low cost of living there and the low crime rate. I have 2 beautiful daughters to raise and i really don't have any plans on raising them here in Virginia. I mean hey, I live in Virginia right now and the crime rate is high as hell, and the cost of living is just so rediculous that it aint even funny. And yet they not trying to raise anyones salary. It's too much common wealth going on here, lol. And i really am not happy here. So i plan on relocating to Savannah. Any info would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 07:39 PM

39 posts, read 125,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillycat215 View Post
Hello everyone. I am new to this thing. I am moving to Savannah, GA in April 2008. I wanted to know what you all think about Savannah. How is it there? whats it like? I have always wanted to live in GA because of the low cost of living there and the low crime rate. I have 2 beautiful daughters to raise and i really don't have any plans on raising them here in Virginia. I mean hey, I live in Virginia right now and the crime rate is high as hell, and the cost of living is just so rediculous that it aint even funny. And yet they not trying to raise anyones salary. It's too much common wealth going on here, lol. And i really am not happy here. So i plan on relocating to Savannah. Any info would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Read Fsinga's "A Northerner's Experience In Savannah" feedback about Savh. You may find this useful. I've been in Georgia since birth and am ready for bigger/better opportunities...

Old 10-31-2007, 07:43 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,173,623 times
Be very, very sure that you have employment before you move.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 10,886 times
Hey Phillycat215,

I'm in real estate and Savannah Area is great. If you have children, you might want to research Richmond Hill, GA which is about 30 minutes south of Savannah. A lot of people live on the outside of Savannah, but works in Savannah. there are 2 military bases here which makes this a very busy place. Let me know if you plan to rent or purchase.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:01 PM

3 posts, read 22,349 times
be better off in Atlanta northern suburbs.more jobs and the houses are cheaper. Savannah is expensive compared to the average wage paid here,not many good paying jobs at all. Crime is high for the size of the city,again not many good paying jobs. There are worse places to live though

Old 11-25-2007, 01:13 PM

22 posts, read 121,696 times
Ditto with our other poster here -- make sure you have permanent employment locked in. The job market here is tough as old shoe leather.

Good luck!

Old 11-25-2007, 02:25 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,645 times
Local and regional business briefs | SavannahNow.com
“The Georgia Department of Labor reported today that the unemployment rate in the metro Savannah area declined to 3.5 percent in April, down one-tenth of one percent from 3.6 percent in March. The area's jobless rate stood at 4 percent in April 2005.
Meanwhile, Georgia's unemployment rate declined to 4.3 percent in April, down two-tenths of one percent from 4.5 percent in March. The state's jobless rate stood at 5 percent in April 2005.
The number of people employed in Georgia increased by 20,291 from March to April. Some workers held more than one job, however, because Georgia added 30,400 non-farm jobs, which includes multiple job holders. Most of the jobs gained were in trade and services. There was a slight increase in construction jobs, while manufacturing industries lost jobs.”

New Web application company chooses Savannah | SavannahNow.com (http://savannahnow.com/node/397802 - broken link)
"We get validation of Savannah as the right location for us almost daily," Nunnally said. "It has a growing high-tech community and an abundance of talent."

Franchise city | SavannahNow.com (http://savannahnow.com/node/396609 - broken link)
“Savannah's population is growing, and that means more potential customers.
A lot of those people are coming for jobs at places such as the port of Savannah, the hospitals and companies such as Gulfstream Aerospace Corp. and construction equipment manufacturer JCB.
"For years, Savannah's geographical growth seemed to be limited by the military base and the interstate and the railroad tracks," said Joe Dyer, operating partner/president of BoStarr LLC, which owns a Bojangles' Famous Chicken 'n' Biscuits franchise in Savannah. "Then it's almost as if Savannah got full and burst at the seams and had tremendous development west - Pooler, Rincon - and a lot of that is from the ports activity and Gulfstream, and that's created some new markets that weren't really viable for franchises 15 years ago."”

Savannah, Hinesville among country's 'best performing' cities | SavannahNow.com
“Savannah, Hinesville among country's 'best performing' cities according to their ability to grow and sustain jobs.”

September surge: Record ontainer traffic pushes Georgia Ports' first quarter numbers through the roof | SavannahNow.com
“While deepwater ports up and down the coast are experiencing slowdowns in growth, the port of Savannah in September recorded its third-highest monthly tonnage total, mostly on the continued strength of container volumes”

Portuguese manufacturing company to locate in Effingham County | SavannahNow.com
“ATLANTA - Portuguese manufacturer EFACEC Group plans to build its first U.S. plant in Effingham County, creating 600 jobs and $100 million in investment, Gov. Sonny Perdue announced today.
EFACEC Group, based in Porto, Portugal, manufactures power substations. The new facility will make core form, shell form and mobile substations for the U.S. market.
The building will be located at the Effingham County Industrial Park near Rincon. EFACEC officials expect to break ground this winter on the plant.

EFACEC signs on the dotted line
“Gov. Sonny Perdue and Effingham County officials signed a proclamation Monday morning bringing in Portuguese electronics giant EFACEC to the Effingham Industrial Development Authority’s industrial park on Highway 21.”

Savannah/Chatham County At-A-Glance | GeorgiaTrend.com

Savannah/Chatham County: Hitting On All Cylinders | GeorgiaTrend.com

Savannah, Hinesville, Fort Stewart growing faster than state, experts say | SavannahNow.com

Georgia's unemployment rate up in October | SavannahNow.com

Old 02-27-2008, 02:24 PM

16 posts, read 79,949 times
Default How is the Pooler area to live? and the housing?

How is the Pooler area to live and the housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by debwalk1505 View Post
Hey Phillycat215,

I'm in real estate and Savannah Area is great. If you have children, you might want to research Richmond Hill, GA which is about 30 minutes south of Savannah. A lot of people live on the outside of Savannah, but works in Savannah. there are 2 military bases here which makes this a very busy place. Let me know if you plan to rent or purchase.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:43 PM
tcb

198 posts, read 679,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber11 View Post
How is the Pooler area to live and the housing
From when I've been there it's been good.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:06 PM

4 posts, read 22,882 times
Savannah isn't a bad place to live There are a couple of places that you could look at to live, Georgetown(a community on the southside of Savannah, very nice and safe, close to everything!!!). I have a few friends that live in Pooler and they like it it is building up right now. Both Georgetown and Pooler are very close to the airport. Richmond Hill is about 20 or 30 min from Savannah depending where you are at, getting home at rush hour can be a major problem at times!! Jobs can be hard to get depending on what you do. I hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area