Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 09:38 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times

Advertisements

The Islands District is easily as well known as the Medical District, the Design Distrct and the Starland District ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 10:14 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The Islands District is easily as well known as the Medical District, the Design Distrct and the Starland District ...
As someone who was raised & lived on the Islands, I have never heard anyone refer to it as a "district". It's simply "The Islands".

Come to think of it, I've never heard anyone refer to any part of Midtown as "The Medical District".

Old 11-28-2012, 11:21 AM

16 posts, read 32,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybunn View Post
Hi there!
So I'll be moving to Savannah This January from Louisville KY and I'd really like to know... well everything. I've never been to Savannah before and I would like to at least get a little information on the area. Places to go, places to avoid, best resturants, things to do etc. Any good music festivals? Best bars? Favorite grocery? anything is useful!
Just for refrence I'm a fan of kayaking, cycling, hiking, camping, outside stuff really. And food. All food.
Also, don't tell me not to move to Savannah. I'm moving for a job so I don't have too much of a choice, but if you have any useful information about where and what to aviod I'd love to hear it!
A little about me, mid 20's single female. Hippy at heart, love farmers markets, local businesses, etc.
Thanks in advance for any help!
There are music festivals..jazz fest I think. Asian fest, Film fest...etc.
As for outside stuff....savannah is not the best for camping; it can be a pain in warmer weather because of the awful humidity and horrible bugs. Pretty much all we have for true outdoor excursion is the beach. Certain places on Tybee Island really are beautiful. Although personally I like to drive a little bit outta the way and go to Cumberland Island (highly recommended!), where the beaches there are truly untouched. The dunes on Cumberland are seriously HUGE.

Best restaurants---basically kinda avoid anything that's been "best voted" as they usually are disappointing. For instance, that Il Pasticcio (however the hell you spell it), the italian place...it's really just average tasting italian food. Nothing spectacular. But to some Savannahians, it's the "best?" ? The restaurant "sweet potatoes" is usually pretty good. And for a good breakfast, I'd go to "J. Christopher's" on Liberty street. ( I think...it might be Oglethorpe I get the two streets mixed up..) And for the best pad thai, go to "chiriya's" on Abercorn Street, next door to Chili's. And for dessert, Lulu's chocolate bar (on MLK?) is really good stuff, worth the dough.

I don't know much about bars, because I don't drink or smoke.
Not many grocery stores, but Publix is much better quality than Kroger. Then there's more expensive stuff, like Fresh Market.

In a nutshell, I'd say Savannah is quite a nice city to live if you have the money to spend. Because most of the activities involve alcohol and eating because there's not too much "active" stuff to do. but hey, there's always sightseeing! (aka, aimlessly walk around downtown and check out the squares. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area