Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2007, 10:33 PM

8 posts, read 26,635 times

Advertisements

Wow, all the threads about Savannah have really had my head spinning. Some love it, some hate it. But I'd love to hear about those of you that do live there and more besides the crime rate, hot summers, and tight job market. I may have an offer (in negotiation) and am not sure about making such a move. Its to work at SCAD...

I'm an artist, married, no kids and currently live in the Bay Area of CA. We love it here, but it's fast fast fast and very expensive. Our property taxes are ridiculous and we feel we are always on high speed to keep things going.

We love historical places, architecture, geographical beauty, places to hike and be outdoors... is Savannah pretty by the water on the islands? Are there great sunrises and sunsets and crickets in the night? Thunderstorms? I've never lived in the South (Ok, Florida for one year, hated it - in 1975-76).

I don't want to feel like culture is something only in yogurt and that I don't have to go to NYC to shop. We like fresh organic food, is there an awareness there for health and alternative medicine. What is the western medical establishments like? For someone with chronic health problems, could they get good medical care in Savannah or have to go to a bigger city?

I've heard the people are very friendly... so is it a neighborly place? People aren't prone to keeping to themselves, but are willing to meet their neighbor and be open?

Is there tolerance, and open acceptance of gays and people of color, Asians and Hispanics? Not that I put all those groups in one camp, but it says a lot about a community if it's live and let live or there is more of an open embracing.

I will be honest and say the posts I've read about Savannah have turned me off. It almost nixed the deal. But I would like to hear more from those that do live there. And those that have lived there too. Even if you moved because you hated it. Why did you hate it? Why do you love it?

Is there an airport? What are the benefits of living on the islands, besides the view? What are the best places to look for a house that is architecturally wonderful (1920's - 1940's) has 3/2 at least, and a big yard for two big dogs? Is there a market for a dog walking business? What about painting contractors? Is there a lot of renovation going on?

Thanks to anyone who wants to take on any of these questions.

And if you have any opinion on SCAD, that would be great too! More than wonderful...Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 12:55 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times
We like fresh organic food, is there an awareness there for health and alternative medicine.
Heritage Organic Farms
Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy - CDs, mp3s for weight loss, stop smoking, better grades, etc.
Brighter Day Natural Foods - Home Page

Is there an airport?
Savannah / Hilton Head International Airport

What are the benefits of living on the islands, besides the view?
Saltwater Marsh Mosquitoes

What are the best places to look for a house that is architecturally wonderful (1920's - 1940's) has 3/2 at least, and a big yard for two big dogs?
Ardsley Park

What is the western medical establishments like?
Memorial Health University Medical Center
St. Joseph's Candler

Is there a lot of renovation going on?
Historic Preservation

Welcome to the Telfair Museum of Savannah, Georgia (http://www.telfair.org/buildings/jepson.asp - broken link)
Elizabeth on 37th

Is there tolerance, and open acceptance of gays and people of color, Asians and Hispanics?
Yes, those who view them as the source of all crime tend to move to the other counties.
Club One - Online Savannah Georgia
First City Network... Serving the LGBT Needs in Georgia since 1985 (broken link)
2007 Savannah Asian Festival
Food crosses cultural divides | SavannahNow.com (http://www.savannahnow.com/node/385436 - broken link)
Annual Greek Festival to draw lovers of rich food and culture | SavannahNow.com (http://www.savannahnow.com/node/374970 - broken link)

Home - Savannah, The Creative Coast Initiative

Last edited by bgnzsavnh; 11-03-2007 at 01:32 PM..

Old 11-03-2007, 05:28 PM

8 posts, read 26,635 times
Thank you, bgnzsavnh...

appreciate all the work you did to inform me.... what about SCAD... do you have any thoughts regarding the school, anything you can share?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: