U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 07:07 PM

6,245 posts, read 5,093,738 times

Advertisements

This interchange along with the planned industrial park planned near it will chage the face of the southside of Richmond Hill.
Coastal Courier, coastalcourier.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 08:16 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,946,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
This interchange along with the planned industrial park planned near it will chage the face of the southside of Richmond Hill.
Coastal Courier, coastalcourier.com
I agree that this could be a development game-changer for Richmond Hill. But why must it be 4-5 years until construction even begins?

Also, driving into town at rush hour tonight on I-16, I was reminded once again how desperately that stretch of interstate needs to be widened and modernized all the way from 95 to downtown. Traffic was stacked up all the way from Lynes Parkway to 95 leaving town. When is GDOT going to invest some money in Savannah's freeway system?

Old 11-04-2013, 09:35 PM

4,471 posts, read 7,285,775 times
The article lists some pretty optimistic words in regards to future development of this proposed interchange. Comparing it to the Pooler Parkway/Savannah Airport exit. It'll be interesting to see what happens and how fast things develop in the years following completion.

Gosh, I remember when the Savannah Airport exit was finished and Pooler Parkway didn't even exist. I remember seeing barricades and dirt beyond the exit ramps looking west. Now it's a traffic mess of strip malls and suburban housing developments. Craziness.

Hopefully whatever development that does happen in the future, Richmond Hill won't take the same route Pooler did and develop smartly.

..and YES Newsboy, 16 has been a neglected nightmare. I STILL haven't seen those overhead lights at 16 & 95 that were supposedly approved something like 5 years ago. Smh..

Old 03-04-2014, 09:46 AM

1,928 posts, read 1,555,558 times
I hope the Georgia coast stays rural and does not become like Myrtle Beach or New Jersey or something. So many areas here just feel real country and it is awesome.

I guess this will be nice if you live near I95 in South Richmond Hill but I would be sad to see what is now an extremely unique area (the GA coast) become suburban sprawl. Focus on locating in existing downtowns that already have infrastructure. Use old buildings before building new ones. The drive now on 95 is so peaceful.

So generally I hope not too many more exists will be built. Sacrificing our area for saving a few minutes would, for me anyhow, not be worth it. When comparing traffic to Atlanta or other metro areas we are quite blessed! Although I agree GDOT and Chatham County usually make dumb decisions and while they build a lot of new roads they never seem to improve traffic. And then they build things like Veterans Parkway the Bridge to Nowhere on which I see like 5 cars a minute lol.

What do you all think? Would anyone like more suburban expansion? Or would you like to keep more coast land rural/agricultural and focus on existing downtown development and upgrading?

Old 03-04-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
I hope the Georgia coast stays rural and does not become like Myrtle Beach or New Jersey or something. So many areas here just feel real country and it is awesome.

I guess this will be nice if you live near I95 in South Richmond Hill but I would be sad to see what is now an extremely unique area (the GA coast) become suburban sprawl. Focus on locating in existing downtowns that already have infrastructure. Use old buildings before building new ones. The drive now on 95 is so peaceful.

So generally I hope not too many more exists will be built. Sacrificing our area for saving a few minutes would, for me anyhow, not be worth it. When comparing traffic to Atlanta or other metro areas we are quite blessed! Although I agree GDOT and Chatham County usually make dumb decisions and while they build a lot of new roads they never seem to improve traffic. And then they build things like Veterans Parkway the Bridge to Nowhere on which I see like 5 cars a minute lol.

What do you all think? Would anyone like more suburban expansion? Or would you like to keep more coast land rural/agricultural and focus on existing downtown development and upgrading?
New Jersey? Wow, that's a wild exaggeration. I'm pretty sure considering how our coast is set up, it will NEVER become a NJ. Most of the barrier islands are protected anyway.

I'm all for concentrating our new development energy on areas within town for sure. Realistically, suburban development will still happen. Ideally, I hope it happens with a lot of thought in mind.

FYI, that bridge to nowhere save a lot of people on the west side time that would otherwise be spent sitting in traffic on Abercorn and adding to the congestion. Veterans Parkway (or Southwest Bypass as many of us who have been around know) was very much needed and I'm glad they constructed it. Now if only they would increase the absurdly low 55 mph speed limit to 65.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:45 PM

6,174 posts, read 3,077,542 times
Quote:
Sacrificing our area for saving a few minutes would, for me anyhow, not
be worth it. When comparing traffic to Atlanta or other metro areas we are
quite blessed! Although I agree GDOT and Chatham County usually make dumb
decisions and while they build a lot of new roads they never seem to improve
traffic. And then they build things like Veterans Parkway the Bridge to Nowhere
on which I see like 5 cars a minute lol.
The sad truth is that the traffic is already here, and is not going anywhere (figuratively, and sometimes literally). So the best we can do is try to improve the flow, to make it easier for people to get where they need to go. It's not just about development--it is about safety. Trying to force too much traffic through a poorly-planned area and making no effort to modernize/streamline is a recipe for disaster.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post

Sorry, but the Georgia coast is booming -- some estimates are that a million more people will be living along Georgia's I-95 corridor in 30 years. And that's logical, because the interstate (one of the nation's busiest) provides the greatest access to thousands of acres of relatively cheap and developable land. Unlike the swampy, marshy coastline about 10 miles east, much of I-95 (at least in Chatham and Bryan counties) is well above sea level and mostly just pine woods now.

There's a reason why the NW quadrant of Chatham County between I-16 and I-95 is developing so rapidly: land elsewhere in Savannah is becoming scarce, and waterfront property (even that along creeks and marshes) is extremely expensive (as well as expensive to build on, per environmental requirements). And as the Pooler / Port Wentworth / Bloomingdale area gets "built out," look for future development of the same type to spread south along I-95 to Ricmond Hill. It's already in the cards: The massive New Hampstead PUD development in SW Chatham (just beyond I-95 and Hwy 204 / Abercorn Extension) is planned for 20,000 residents at build out. What's more, this land -- which stretches from I-95 north to I-16 to the Effingham County line -- actually falls within the city limits of Savannah and will grow the city tremendously. Though stalled by the Great Recession, all indications are that development is finally about to get underway out there in a big way. The streets and utilities, along with New Hampstead High School, are already in place. The only thing that's held it up so far is the economy. As this development cranks up, you can expect to see yet another new interchange constructed on I-95 at Quacco or Little Neck roads -- or possibly both.

And though I mean no offense to you SavannahLife, I always find it humorous when someone moves to an area and right away starts lobbying for it to stay exactly as it was when they arrived. It's rather ironic, since your moving here (along with thousands of others) is the direct thing that you're advocating against.

Last edited by Newsboy; 03-04-2014 at 02:32 PM..

Old 03-04-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Sorry, but the Georgia coast is booming -- some estimates are that a million more people will be living along Georgia's I-95 corridor in 30 years. And that's logical, because the interstate (one of the nation's busiest) provides the greatest access to thousands of acres of relatively cheap and developable land. Unlike the swampy, marshy coastline about 10 miles east, much of I-95 (at least in Chatham and Bryan counties) is well above sea level and mostly just pine woods now.

There's a reason why the NW quadrant of Chatham County between I-16 and I-95 is developing so rapidly: land elsewhere in Savannah is becoming scarce, and waterfront property (even that along creeks and marshes) is extremely expensive (as well as expensive to build on, per environmental requirements). And as the Pooler / Port Wentworth / Bloomingdale area gets "built out," look for future development of the same type to spread south along I-95 to Ricmond Hill. It's already in the cards: The massive New Hampstead PUD development in SE Chatham (just beyond I-95 and Hwy 204 / Abercorn Extension) is planned for 20,000 residents at build out. What's more, this land -- which stretches from I-95 north to I-16 to the Effingham County line -- actually falls within the city limits of Savannah and will grow the city tremendously. Though stalled by the Great Recession, all indications are that development is finally about to get underway out there in a big way. The streets and utilities, along with New Hampstead High School, are already in place. The only thing that's held it up so far is the economy. As this development cranks up, you can expect to see yet another new interchange constructed on I-95 at Quacco or Little Neck roads -- or possibly both.

And though I mean no offense to you SavannahLife, I always find it humorous when someone moves to an area and right away starts lobbying for it to stay exactly as it was when they arrived. It's rather ironic, since your moving here (along with thousands of others) is the direct thing that you're advocating against.
LOL I was about to correct you on your last paragraph. I just knew you weren't trying to offend SavannnahLife. You forgot about the massive New Hampstead PUD development in SE Chatham. Got lost looking for it.

All humor aside, you're right about new interchanges (eventually) coming. I'm also looking forward to when Jimmy DeLoach is finally connected to 16. It'll be nice to have something happening out that way as barren as it is out there. (Thinking specifically of Bloomingdale Rd. and Old River Road in Effingham. The latter being where the supposed Medient Studios will be)

Old 03-04-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
LOL I was about to correct you on your last paragraph. I just knew you weren't trying to offend SavannnahLife. You forgot about the massive New Hampstead PUD development in SE Chatham. Got lost looking for it.

All humor aside, you're right about new interchanges (eventually) coming. I'm also looking forward to when Jimmy DeLoach is finally connected to 16. It'll be nice to have something happening out that way as barren as it is out there. (Thinking specifically of Bloomingdale Rd. and Old River Road in Effingham. The latter being where the supposed Medient Studios will be)
Corrected.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:35 PM

Oh ... and just in case anybody doubts that the development south along I-95 in Richmond Hill and New Hampstead will happen: Nobody could have ever imagined 15 years ago that Pooler and Bluffton would be what they are today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area