Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 07:54 AM

314 posts, read 675,578 times

Advertisements

My family and I are arriving tomorrow and looks like its supposed to rain...all day

We are only staying the one day/night and then heading down to FL to spend Christmas with my dad. So I had planned on just walking around and visiting the candy shop with the kids, going to Leopolds for lunch and Old Pink House for Dinner.

If its not pouring and just light rain we'll be fine walking with an umbrella but if its pouring not so much! Any suggestions of one or two things we can maybe do during our brief stay.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 08:28 AM

11,393 posts, read 24,436,628 times
I think you can still do the things on your list, if it rains. Indoor activities might include the Ships of the Sea Museum, the Jepson and Telfair Art museums, the Savannah History Museum at the Visitors Center, or some of the larger Antique shops on the west end of Factors Walk. There's a free shuttle that will take you to almost all of these, which should help with parking and any rain that we may or may not receive.

Here's info on the free ferry. Savannah Belles Ferry | Chatham Area Transit (CAT). Someplace else on the website you can find the downtown shuttle & River Street street car schedule.

ADDITION: Here's the downtown free shuttle info: http://www.connectonthedot.com. It was a little harder to find than I thought since it has its own webpage.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:29 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,173,623 times
you do the same thing that you would do at home. sit, read, look out the window, etc.

It's not likely to be pouring except for a short period. just drive around and look, maybe ride out to Tybee beach. Maybe a trip to the Jepson Museum? Just don't plan a lot.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:52 AM

Thanks...I appreciate the suggestions and links! The museums might be a good back up plan for us!

Old 12-22-2013, 11:48 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,696,751 times
You are really going to enjoy The Pink House for dinner. I ate there for the first time two weeks ago. If you are a fish lover I would recommend the "scored flounder". I have been eating flounder all my life but it has never been prepared quite like this. They start off with a flounder that is FAT on both sides. Really fat. They then score the flounder in a criss cross pattern down to the center bone but don't crack the bone in any way. They score in on both side. Then the fish is deep fried. There is a sauce that the complements the fish. But the reason for the scoring is it make each "diamond" shaped piece stand apart from the center bone.You never touch or eat a fish bone with this method. I ate one side there and the other side for lunch the next day.

My two dinner partners had the strip steak.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:58 PM

Wow.... The flounder sounds delicious...I may have to give it a try! Rain or no rain I'm really looking forward to getting to Savannah tomorrow. I'll be sure to report back on my thoughts of what I do get to see/do during my brief visit!

Old 12-22-2013, 05:42 PM

779 posts, read 972,535 times
It will not rain much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: