Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 11:50 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,854,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stboro View Post
It's owned by Hull Storey (the same owners of the mall and the shopping center with K-Mart and vacant Food Lion), so I wouldn't expect anything truly extraordinary for that property.

I agree that that specific corner has a lot of potential. What would I wish for? A nice mixed-use development. Have student housing; they'd be in walking distance from shopping/restaurants and there could be a shuttle service to campus like many apartment complexes have now. Have some housing for those who have graduated and landed jobs in town and people who have no desire to own a house and maintenance that come along with it. Let there be a small, but nice size park sort of "anchor" the residential area and connect it to the S&S Greenway trail. Have a grocery store and other shops and restaurants, maybe even with residences above them.

AFAIK, Hull Storey also own the land from that shopping center, down behind the mall to the new Nissan dealership, so there would be plenty of land to work with.

Do I see this happening? No. Not from Hull Storey or any developer coming to town. But, one can dream.
Those are great ideas, and you made me think again how truly sad and frustrating it is when one developer or real estate investment group has a monopoly hold on a city's commercial properties --- and has no vision.

Tonight, I attended an event over in Beaufort, SC, and driving from Savannah to Beaufort you see miles and miles of brilliantly thought-out development. I'm not saying all that's been done to the SC Lowcountry is great (indeed, the sprawl that's been allowed to take place from HHI out 278 is atrocious) ... BUT, the developers in Beaufort County have a shared vision for the community, what it can look like and what it can be. I don't see enough of that in our part of Georgia.

Statesboro, being a college community, should have leaders and business people who are more aggressive about building something GREAT there, and not just settling for the status quo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 09:44 AM

120 posts, read 168,316 times
Well well. Going along with the Hull Storey is uninspired and has a monopoly on the Statesboro commercial real estate note, I just happened to come across this:

Quote:
STATESBORO, GA (March 31, 2014) - Hull Storey Gibson announced today the acquisition of University Commons, a shopping center in Statesboro, Georgia. The newly acquired center is located in close proximity to other retail properties owned and operated by the Company including the Statesboro Mall and two shopping centers, Southern Square and Gentilly Square.
http://www.hullstoreygibson.com/MediaCenter/item392

So they now own the three shopping centers in town with vacant anchor tenants? Maybe we can hope that they can lure Publix back to its old home.

Edit: Okay, I'm not sure why my link isn't working. But there is the link to the rest of the press release.

Last edited by Stboro; 04-06-2014 at 09:52 AM..

Old 04-06-2014, 12:09 PM

8,054 posts, read 4,726,366 times
U Commons is the center with the long-vacant Publix?

Old 04-06-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
U Commons is the center with the long-vacant Publix?
Yup.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:53 PM

191 posts, read 322,444 times
An announcement is coming soon to Statesboro in the retail sector... prepare to be disappointed.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:26 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,663,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewplanner View Post
An announcement is coming soon to Statesboro in the retail sector... prepare to be disappointed.
Somebody PLEASEEEEEE, get Albania some Valium.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:30 PM

11,380 posts, read 24,385,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Somebody PLEASEEEEEE, get Albania some Valium.
I was just thinking that he's been unusually quiet. Probably no computer again.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:36 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,854,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I was just thinking that he's been unusually quiet. Probably no computer again.
I actually sent him a PM and asked. He said he got a new phone and it doesn't have enough memory, whatever that means. I think we should all take up a collection. I miss the guy.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewplanner View Post
A second Walmart or a third-rate store.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:43 PM

8,054 posts, read 4,726,366 times
Quote:
...prepare to be disappointed
Meaning some big-name retailer is leaving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area