Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 11:19 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping the second time is the charm....
Crawl of the South II tries to break Guiness World Record
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 10:51 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
Re: 'I just had a wonderful visit to Savannah last weekend. The city is getting expensive'

We did too after being away for many years. River St at the time was nothing like it is today with all the shops and the renovated buildings. Seeing it just showed how time has changed the landscape of great cities like Savannah. If it was built to draw tourists it sure has!

And we were glad to see the historic area kept 'historic' as well as it is considering the effect of perhaps pressures to development due to increased population and interest in the area. We could see that 'tradition' is important to the city. That's good...looks like the city is trying hard to keep it.

Have to say one thing which knocked us out was when we ordered lunch near City Market. We told them to hold the cheese please. When we looked at the bill we noticed something weird. 85 cents came off the bill! Wow for no cheese! Maybe there was a 'Savannah sandwich special' that day?? We come from NY folks. If I said that they'd probably charge me a dollar for asking!

Thank you Savannah! Savannah...the city that makes the little things count, eh???

And thanks to all we met in Savannah natives and visitors all who were very helpful. Those 'squares' are some great conversation starters. Also have to say we met some 'panhandlers'

Old 05-31-2015, 10:53 AM

Which didn't surprise.......after we saw the signs in beautiful Forsyth Park...;-)...

Old 05-31-2015, 11:55 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
CBS News Sunday had a really good feature on Charleston and Savannah this morning. It focused on the differing philosophies of growth in the historic districts. Charleston is more for keeping the status quo, and Savannah more about repurposing the old buildings by mixing them with new fresh architecture.
​A tale of two cities - CBS News

Old 05-31-2015, 05:43 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/31/tr...rgia.html?_r=0

Too pricy for me. Don't want to pay NY prices when I don't have to.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:51 PM

12 posts, read 10,495 times
That was a nice piece on the two cities. Having lived in Charleston years ago, I still prefer Savannah

Old 05-31-2015, 07:15 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/31/tr...rgia.html?_r=0

Too pricy for me. Don't want to pay NY prices when I don't have to.
It's amazing how much national press that place is getting. I'll never be able to afford to dine there unless it's on somebody else. I am taking offers.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:35 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
CBS News Sunday had a really good feature on Charleston and Savannah this morning. It focused on the differing philosophies of growth in the historic districts. Charleston is more for keeping the status quo, and Savannah more about repurposing the old buildings by mixing them with new fresh architecture.
​A tale of two cities - CBS News
"Status quo" isn't the most accurate term here, although I know what you're trying to get at. In Charleston's historic district (which is smaller than Savannah's), new construction is typically built to more traditional architectural standards; however, elsewhere on the peninsula outside of the historic district, such as along Upper King and in the MUSC area, you see a few more contemporary architectural influences at work. I think both approaches work for both cities, given the sizes of their historic districts.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:29 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
It's amazing how much national press that place is getting. I'll never be able to afford to dine there unless it's on somebody else. I am taking offers.

Has the elements:

In a bus terminal
New Yorker owner with bux goes to Savannah
Chef from trendy Brooklyn
High priced menu
And let's not forget, a very good PR person.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:55 AM

"Status quo" isn't the most accurate term here, although I know what you're trying to get at. In Charleston's historic district (which is smaller than Savannah's), new construction is typically built to more traditional architectural standards; however, elsewhere on the peninsula outside of the historic district, such as along Upper King and in the MUSC area, you see a few more contemporary architectural influences at work. I think both approaches work for both cities, given the sizes of their historic districts'

Interesting point. Just an observation on the historic 'squares' in Savannah. I'd be curious as to why the specific architectural motif for Ellis is relatively much different than the others which dot the historic district. It looks very modern. In my opinion it came as a disjunct with the rest of the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area