Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 09:10 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
You should head to Fla that would not offer uhistorical ,,beautiful and have ancient trees. Might be boring after a while especially those fountains. You know the expression "if you have seen one fountain you've seen them all".

And from the many comments I have read in the Savannah forum people seem very rude, not that southern hospitality at all. In Charleston everyone was very nice and pleasant...what happen in 60 miles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 09:13 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Savannah is far from "just another beautiful city" ... it's THE "most beautiful city" in America.

But if that kind of stuff doesn't impress you, just take your kids to the beach instead.
Of course everyone thinks that a city near them is the most beautiful city ever... I for one do not mind seeing the history, fountains, beautiful plantations and trees. However, that only goes so far with an eight year old and a four year old. I was looking more for kid activities to do. No worries my friend lives in Savannah and pointed out several fun things to do with kids instead of hitting yet another beach... Hopefully we find some true southerners with manners!

Old 06-05-2014, 09:48 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
It really just depends on what type of vacation you want to have. History, both Savannah and Charleston are steeped in history, so is St. Augustine and many other south eastern towns. Beaches, Charleston beats Savannah in number of beaches, quality, and amenities, although Tybee is a wonderful beach. Amusements, Florida. Art & Culture, close call but I'd have to give the nod to Savannah. So if the OP would grant us a bit more about what type of trip they're planning it might help us with suggestions.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:03 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
And from the many comments I have read in the Savannah forum people seem very rude, not that southern hospitality at all. In Charleston everyone was very nice and pleasant...what happen in 60 miles?
Quote:
Of course everyone thinks that a city near them is the most beautiful city ever... I for one do not mind seeing the history, fountains, beautiful plantations and trees. However, that only goes so far with an eight year old and a four year old. I was looking more for kid activities to do. No worries my friend lives in Savannah and pointed out several fun things to do with kids instead of hitting yet another beach... Hopefully we find some true southerners with manners!
WHAT?! You're going to judge a city by what you read on these forums?!

HERE IS WHAT YOU ASKED:

Quote:
We hear how beautiful Savannah is and how we she definitely go there, but my question is are Savahanna and Charleston similar in beauty? I know they are two different towns with unique histories..but we have been to Charleston and if it simply just another beautiful city with ancient trees, full of history and fountains we are thinking of going to FLorida instead. Thank you in advance for any positive advice.
The response from locals (and non-locals) was universal: Savannah is NOT simply "just another beautiful city with ancient trees, full of history and fountains." It is an INCREDIBLE city very much worth visiting. But if your prime interest is keeping your children entertained, then by all means -- TAKE THEM TO A BEACH IN FLORIDA!

How you interpreted honest advice as being "rude" is beyond me.

Last edited by Newsboy; 06-05-2014 at 10:16 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 10:13 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
You really can't take these forums to be indicative of the disposition of the city in real life. Residents of Savannah are very gracious and hospitable; I've experienced it firsthand.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:27 PM

974 posts, read 1,149,337 times
I guess when I offer up free advice to those who ask, I should be wary of being called less than gracious. Njrover0216, I'm afraid it is you who are rude. Honestly, go enjoy Charleston instead. I hope you find what you're looking for there.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:33 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
Quote:
Yawn....zzzzzzz. Have a blessed day and enjoy whatever city brings you peace and comfort. Three commentaries and you make soul searching judgements?. Move on.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:41 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
BTW I know you mentioned your travel and time in Charleston but didn't realize you got there, back in 2012, at noon and left at the end of the day. Give these cities a fighting chance to show you what they have. Slow down.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:38 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Quote:
Great. No one is obligated to have saccharine Southern manners to anyone who posts tiresome and judgemental requests for info.

Maybe you should go to Disney World?

We are not on the tourism board's payroll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area