Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 04:48 PM

130 posts, read 297,076 times

Advertisements

I have a few months to decide where to live next. I am a retired, single female, with probably 15-20 good years left (although I plan to live to 100 . I am dizzy with research, but found a site that gave me an idea to look for my next home in Savannah. I've visited it once in the late '90s en route to St. Simons Island. I would like some help in deciding which neighborhood is best suited for me, based on my budget, favorite activities and needs, which I list below, not necessarily in the order given.

1. Walkable neighborhood to food shops and restaurants and basic shopping, and fun activities. This is important because the older I get, the less I would want or need to drive.
2. Safe neighborhood. I'm not looking to make myself a target by being out late nights or making an ostentatious display of wealth.
3. Good access to public transportation. I have managed to live car-less since 2007 while living in Washington, DC and even now in a small beach town in Northampton County, VA (granted, I borrow my sister's car here from time to time).
4. Are taxis available in Savannah and can they be hailed easily from the street?
5. I prefer a downtown vibe where you can people-watch and sip coffee or drink wine, alone, without attracting questioning looks.
6. I am liberal-minded, not religious, modern-thinking, au courant.
7. I like friendly people, but respectful of privacy.
8. I like to volunteer and would like to participate in community activities.
9. If it suits me, this may be my last stop.
10. I cannot afford to buy a home now, but I may, in the near future (I have a 1-3 year plan to accomplish that goal). I'm looking for a long-term rental of up to 5 years, more or less. I've been a renter all my adult life so I may opt to die a renter.
11. I am hoping to find a 2 BR apartment or a large 1BR with a balcony in a nice neighborhood in Savannah for less than $1000 plus utilities (the less rent the better, so I can save for my 3-year plan). I need some workshop space for arts and crafts, hence the need for the 2nd BR or a larger 1BR. Is that possible in my price and neighborhood range?
12. How far is the nearest airport or Amtrak?

Where should I look? I would be grateful for any local insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 05:00 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazfora View Post
I have a few months to decide where to live next. I am a retired, single female, with probably 15-20 good years left (although I plan to live to 100 . I am dizzy with research, but found a site that gave me an idea to look for my next home in Savannah. I've visited it once in the late '90s en route to St. Simons Island. I would like some help in deciding which neighborhood is best suited for me, based on my budget, favorite activities and needs, which I list below, not necessarily in the order given.

1. Walkable neighborhood to food shops and restaurants and basic shopping, and fun activities. This is important because the older I get, the less I would want or need to drive.
2. Safe neighborhood. I'm not looking to make myself a target by being out late nights or making an ostentatious display of wealth.
3. Good access to public transportation. I have managed to live car-less since 2007 while living in Washington, DC and even now in a small beach town in Northampton County, VA (granted, I borrow my sister's car here from time to time).
4. Are taxis available in Savannah and can they be hailed easily from the street?
5. I prefer a downtown vibe where you can people-watch and sip coffee or drink wine, alone, without attracting questioning looks.
6. I am liberal-minded, not religious, modern-thinking, au courant.
7. I like friendly people, but respectful of privacy.
8. I like to volunteer and would like to participate in community activities.
9. If it suits me, this may be my last stop.
10. I cannot afford to buy a home now, but I may, in the near future (I have a 1-3 year plan to accomplish that goal). I'm looking for a long-term rental of up to 5 years, more or less. I've been a renter all my adult life so I may opt to die a renter.
11. I am hoping to find a 2 BR apartment or a large 1BR with a balcony in a nice neighborhood in Savannah for less than $1000 plus utilities (the less rent the better, so I can save for my 3-year plan). I need some workshop space for arts and crafts, hence the need for the 2nd BR or a larger 1BR. Is that possible in my price and neighborhood range?
12. How far is the nearest airport or Amtrak?

To answer question # 11: I don't believe you will find a nabe that will satisfy the other important requirements of your wish list. "The less rent the better" generally, IMHO, doesn't buy peace, security, workshop, walkable,
Public transit, 15 minutes to a airport or 10 minutes to Amtrak.

Personally, I don't know how to direct you, sorry. OTOH, I can be totally wrong in my opinion and others on here on this forum will have more insight.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:37 AM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I can see you downtown, or in Starland or Habersham Village areas. Plenty of students live downtown, so there are some affordable places. Living on Tybee would be ideal, but you can't afford that, and it is far from downtown anyway.

There is an Amtrak station in Savannah, and the airport is on the edge of Pooler. Taxis are rarely hail able, but you can call for one. There is an active bus system, but I don't know much about it.
The people are very friendly.

Your best bet is to find a friendly real estate agent who deals in rentals and give them your wishes. There are many many cute little neighborhoods in Savannah, so someone who knows real estate would be able to find the perfect spot for you.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:22 AM

Downtown may not fit her definition of "safe" Many degrees of tolerance on that issue. More so for Starland. Habersham Vill. May not have the " vibe".

Old 05-24-2014, 11:56 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
The problem with what you listed is what 99% of all people moving to Savannah want.

Quality of life, walk ability, public transportation, and at less $1k a month. Anywhere on the squares down to river street is exactly what you are asking for.

125 W Gordon Street, Savannah, GA 31401 - HotPads

There is the link to Savannah...

Now if you are open to biking along with public transportation and zip cars then a lot more is open to you...

Old 05-24-2014, 01:39 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
As others have mentioned, the Historic District offers everything you're looking for but finding something suitable for under $1,000 will be difficult. It's not completely impossible I don't think, but it would take some searching with a reputable agency. If you're willing to bend on some of your criteria, your possibilities open up tremendously.

You may also want to consider Wilmington Island. It's got quite a few rental properties, is very walkable, served by bus, etc. But it's far removed from downtown and the cultural amenities you desire.

Habersham Village is another good possibility.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:49 PM

130 posts, read 297,076 times
Thank you all for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I'll look into your suggested places (I didn't find any mention of them in my research). I find it very difficult to decide where I want to live next when I overanalyze--it seems I vacillate on a daily basis. I have too much freedom and no one telling me what to do -- this is when 2 heads are better than one. I need courage now more than ever. Sure, I can bend my criteria. All suggestions are welcome. My most important factor is safety and close proximity to activities and shopping -- I can compromise on the walkability factor. I realize I cannot have everything within my budget. I just want, okay, most of everything on my list. :-) I can compromise on space -- I can make any space work if it meets other important criteria.

I've also lived for 13+ years in Manhattan back in the early '80s when Chelsea, the Bowery, upper 90th Streets, Tribeca, Times Sq. were gritty and the nice part of Brooklyn ended at Brooklyn Heights. I mention this because I want to know just how bad crime really is in Savannah? I mean, are there neighborhoods I should not live in or avoid wandering into because I could get struck down by stray bullets, robbed at gunpoint or kidnapped, as a standard practice? I'm not sure I can visualize it just by reading the statistics. Your candid feedback would be much appreciated.

As for public transport, I just want to be able to have the option to hop on a bus or taxi if and when I want to and not be totally dependent on driving.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:42 PM

[quote=hazfora;34940591

I've also lived for 13+ years in Manhattan back in the early '80s when Chelsea, the Bowery, upper 90th Streets, Tribeca, Times Sq. were gritty and the nice part of Brooklyn ended at Brooklyn Heights. I mention this because I want to know just how bad crime really is in Savannah? I mean, are there neighborhoods I should not live in or avoid wandering into because I could get struck down by stray bullets, robbed at gunpoint or kidnapped, as a standard practice? I'm not sure I can visualize it just by reading the statistics. Your candid feedback would be much appreciated.

As for public transport, I just want to be able to have the option to hop on a bus or taxi if and when I want to and not be totally dependent on driving.[/QUOTE]

Now, I can relate to the situation better with this background. I was a property owner for 12 years in Bushwick when bullets did fly randomly so I have a good idea of your safety standard. No, bullets do not fly, and it is unlilely you will be heldup in the Historic District. The HD satifys all your points other than budget. You may save 200-300 by moving to the Victorian District if the rent is a deal breaker at 1200.

Good luck.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:27 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Quote:

You want to live in Savannah based on one visit in the 1990's?

Old 05-24-2014, 04:51 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I'll look into your suggested places (I didn't find any mention of them in my research). I find it very difficult to decide where I want to live next when I overanalyze--it seems I vacillate on a daily basis. I have too much freedom and no one telling me what to do -- this is when 2 heads are better than one. I need courage now more than ever. Sure, I can bend my criteria. All suggestions are welcome. My most important factor is safety and close proximity to activities and shopping -- I can compromise on the walkability factor. I realize I cannot have everything within my budget. I just want, okay, most of everything on my list. :-) I can compromise on space -- I can make any space work if it meets other important criteria.

As for public transport, I just want to be able to have the option to hop on a bus or taxi if and when I want to and not be totally dependent on driving.
If you are OK with a very small space, here's what you could do. Take an apartment for a year in the best possible location. Look in 31401 zip, on realestate.com in your price range. This would put you in walking distance of the action.

Nothing says you have to stay there forever, but it would give you time to figure everything out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area