Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 10:29 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,694,635 times

Advertisements

With all the sun I have this year so far that would exclude me. Oh, well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 11:58 AM

48 posts, read 91,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
When you mean walk able are you talking about being able to walk to stores, restaurants, bars? or just walk to exercise?

Also Condo or house?
bellhead,

To me, walking means exercise. I would prefer a house and if that is over my budget, a condo or a town house would be fine!

Old 07-07-2014, 03:15 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,901,501 times
You should have no problem findings homes in your price range on Wilmington Island.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:42 PM

Thank you, Newsboy.

What about the risk of hurricanes in the area of Wilmington Island? It is closer to the coast than, say, midtown Savannah.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:45 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,901,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamberlo View Post
Thank you, Newsboy.

What about the risk of hurricanes in the area of Wilmington Island? It is closer to the coast than, say, midtown Savannah.
The Georgia coast hasn't received a direct hit from a hurricane in over 100 years. Because of our distance from the Gulf Stream, the Georgia coast has a very low hurricane risk. Even so, the risk factor between being on the islands or intown is negligible because winds do the most damage and the whole county is in a flood zone.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:40 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,603,318 times
Also what do you like to do in your free time...

If you are a home body I would look at Pooler out beyond 95, as you get a lot more for you money...

If you don't have to work then why Georgia and not Florida with the no income tax?

Old 07-07-2014, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
The best Chatham County (Savannah) public schools are still better than the best Effingham County (Rincon, Guyton) or Bryan County (Richmond Hill) public schools. All the schools in Effingham, Bryan, and Beaufort County SC are mediocre at best. The public schools in Chatham need improvement, but the possibilities are better. If your kid can get into the best public schools in Savannah-Chatham (like Savannah Arts Academy, an elite public high school with an entrance exam) or some of the other specialized (science, careers, etc.) public schools, Savannah-Chatham is still better.
We too are seriously considering a move to Savannah from an area with fabulous public schools. We are looking primarily in Ardsley Park and would like to send our kids (6 and 11) to school there. I cannot seem to figure out if it is going to be impossible to get my kids into the public schools like Ellis or Garrison. Strong middle schools seem to be the biggest challenge! Are there waiting lists to get into these schools? How does the district work?

I aplogize if I am hijacking the thread..I am trying to get as much information ahead of time as this move was unexpected.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:19 PM

Thank you for all the useful information. It is a big help with my ongoing analysis!

Florida has a high hurricane risk and I imagine that living in Florida is more expensive.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamberlo View Post
Thank you for all the useful information. It is a big help with my ongoing analysis!

Florida has a high hurricane risk and I imagine that living in Florida is more expensive.
In a lot of ways it isn't more expensive and the hurricane threat is overrated. Also the beaches are better and the no income tax is a big deal. I would just search areas along the coast...

Old 07-08-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mominflipflops View Post
We too are seriously considering a move to Savannah from an area with fabulous public schools. We are looking primarily in Ardsley Park and would like to send our kids (6 and 11) to school there. I cannot seem to figure out if it is going to be impossible to get my kids into the public schools like Ellis or Garrison. Strong middle schools seem to be the biggest challenge! Are there waiting lists to get into these schools? How does the district work?

I aplogize if I am hijacking the thread..I am trying to get as much information ahead of time as this move was unexpected.
A lot of the magnet schools are hard to get into as there are more kids than spots. Garrison is the arts school and Ellis is in their own world as a Montessori school, your 6 year may be able to get in there, but the 11 year old is too old unless he has the Montessori school background. The goal would be to get them into Savannah Arts which is the #1 high school in Georgia, even if they have to go private for a couple of years.

We got lucky our daughter was accepted into the honors program at DeRenne Middle school which is a school within a school. There were 2 honors classes and they attended some classes with the regular kids but the majority of the time they were on their own. After Middle school she went to Savannah Arts and now on to Emory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area