Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 07:47 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times

Advertisements

The requirement to 'audition' is just a pro forma activity to make it seem like the municipality isn't restricting what is essentially your right to free speech.

It would be unconstitutional to completely ban any/all performance or speaking in public places... so the closest thing they can do is require a permit and permission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,335 times
I am a professional street performer. I've played in most US cities and the cities with permit situations are the cities I go to least. It kills performing. Abby the Spoon Lady, Professional Spoonologist. Currently I live and play in Asheville, NC. - ABBY THE SPOON LADY

Old 10-07-2014, 02:29 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon Lady View Post
I am a professional street performer. I've played in most US cities and the cities with permit situations are the cities I go to least. It kills performing. Abby the Spoon Lady, Professional Spoonologist. Currently I live and play in Asheville, NC. - ABBY THE SPOON LADY
Can you explain to us HOW it kills performing? Without an explanation, this just sounds like a gripe.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:24 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon Lady View Post
It keeps out the suckiest performers, if that's what you mean. I don't see any reason that you wouldn't be permitted to play.

But Asheville is so much cooler than Savannah. Maybe you should just be happy where you are?

Old 10-08-2014, 04:25 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Perhaps it's because the permitting takes the "grit" out of the city. You know, a performer needs to play from the bottom of their soul. It's special. You need to feel it without the BS of all that permitting crap and people auditioning you. Gets in the way of a "true artist".

OP .....is that what you mean?

Old 10-08-2014, 05:11 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Perhaps it's because the permitting takes the "grit" out of the city. You know, a performer needs to play from the bottom of their soul. It's special. You need to feel it without the BS of all that permitting crap and people auditioning you. Gets in the way of a "true artist".

OP .....is that what you mean?
Caddy, you're not wrong. But.

One of my friends, who was a busker at the time, helped get the permitting started.

Why? Because River Street was inundated by people who couldn't play their instruments/perform to a decent standard and who would position themselves in locations where they'd block or drown out performers who could play.

It was becoming an aggressive turf war. Permitting brought sanity to the situation. It wasn't big brother trying to control anybody. The permitting was initiated by artists to protect artists' right to busk.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:03 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
If Yo Yo Ma is playing cello on River St, next to someone less good, the one who is less good is not going to find it very lucrative.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,847 times
Default Savannah Street Music

See attched the site for the rules and regulation of street music performing in Savannah:

http://www.savannahga.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1324

It is not indicated on the rules and regulations, but the permit is "FREE" of cost. You are however required to provide your fingers prints for a criminal background check.
If you take a look at the squares that music is permited, is on the commercial squares. Residencial squares are off limits. You need to understand that if the city allows everyone to perfom, sell art, palm roses etc. and one of those peddlers attack someone the city could be held liable. I perfom in Savannah and have no problems with the regulations, except for the fact that we are not allow to perform on Wright Square anymore.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:52 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Thanks, Tumbabrazo, that's interesting. It seems like a pretty easy policy to comply with.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:37 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
Yea, that part about not being able to perform in Wright Square. I was wondering why it was quieter. :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: