Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 11:04 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
BC is native-speak for Benedictine Military Academy
Okay thank you. I edited my response I guessed while you were responding to add: And are you saying this as good as it get around there? Cause when I showed this to my son he laughed.. (the rankings)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 11:12 PM

975 posts, read 1,149,854 times
Um... #1 in the state? I guess he's looking for some sort of national title, maybe?

If you mean the classifications of athletic divisions, and not "rankings," then, yes, these are smaller schools. He can go to a bigger school and play ball, but you'll learn that the bigger schools with football programs in Chatham County are pretty bad schools, plain and simple.

What's more important to you - His education and well-being, or his desire to play for a bigger football program? If it's both, you're going to need to stay out of Chatham County.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
Um... #1 in the state? I guess he's looking for some sort of national title, maybe?

If you mean the classifications of athletic divisions, and not "rankings," then, yes, these are smaller schools. He can go to a bigger school and play ball, but you'll learn that the bigger schools with football programs in Chatham County are pretty bad schools, plain and simple.
What's more important to you - His education and well-being, or his desire to play for a bigger football program? If it's both, you're going to need to stay out of Chatham County.
You asked: What's more important to you - His education and well-being, or his desire to play for a bigger football program?

Yes, both. His education is utmost and he couldn't play football without his grade being up to par, and that's PAR as to MY standards! He's been an A/B student, honor roll all his life! Never missed a single day of school from the time he entered into the public school system (kindergarten up to 7th grade) and never been late! Not one day! Before leaving FL, Alonzo Mourning (Miami Heat) would call him personally on the phone every semester and encourage him to continue on in excellence.

He received All Years Consecutive School Award well into the 7th and only missed days due to us moving. Received the Martin Luther King Honor Roll award here in TN in grades 8 and 9th. And now will start the 10th pretty soon. Like I said...it's bye, bye football if he ever falls below MY standards. And...my standards are pretty high. He is a role model for his younger siblings which are following in his footsteps, they too are honor roll students, never missed a day of school and have never been late unless there's inclement weather.

Said all that to say this....It's in his blood (the love of the game) and the least his father and I can do is find him the best of whatever is out there (as far as public schools go) and keep encouraging him to be the best that he can be. And yes, he already knows what he wants to be when he "grows up"...and that's an entrepreneur of his own corporation, been telling me this since he was six, haven't waivered from that yet! Football is secondary. Those are his dreams and if he can dream it he can achieve it! Yes, both.

Point me in the right direction.....out of Chatham County you say?

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 08-03-2014 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: typo's commas, etc...

Old 08-03-2014, 12:50 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
I'm not going to lie to you: The biggest and most successful HS football programs are in South Georgia (centered on Valdosta, Camden County, Ware County, Colquitt County, etc), the Warner Robins area south of Macon, and in Metro Atlanta. That's not to say SE Georgia (costal Savannah) schools don't have success; many do. But the number of state championships from this part of GA are fewer than other regions.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I'm not going to lie to you: The biggest and most successful HS football programs are in South Georgia (centered on Valdosta, Camden County, Ware County, Colquitt County, etc), the Warner Robins area south of Macon, and in Metro Atlanta. That's not to say SE Georgia (costal Savannah) schools don't have success; many do. But the number of state championships from this part of GA are fewer than other regions.
Thank you all...and no, don't lie to me (lol). I appreciate honesty. TPD! Tenacity, perseverance and drive! We're gonna "make it work" wherever we end up. We teach "hard work" pays off at home. Blessing all.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:14 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Here's a link to Georgia High School Football Champions from 1947 to the present. The most recent Savannah area school to win a state title was Savannah Christian in 2011. Obviously, if you're only interested in schools that have won state titles, you'll be limiting your choices mightily. There are many successful and highly regarded programs that have never won championships. It's really about the whole package.

If you're interest is in public schools, I suggest concentrating your search on Richmond Hill and the two Efffingham County high schools. Richmond Hill is not too far from the ports to make commuting an issue. It's about a 20 minute drive up I-95.

GHSA Football Champions | GHSA.net

Old 08-03-2014, 05:42 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Thank you Newsboy. You're giving me a starting point... So, we are ruling out the Islands (had enough island living) and private schools. I like RH, however hubby thinks it's quite some ways to travel to work as he is a truck driver and will be at the port a lot. Can you suggest the better zip codes (in terms of safety) in Savannah? West, north and south of the center of the city?
Take a look in the South Guyton/Bloomingdale/Rice Hope (northern Port Wentworth) area if your husband will be working at the ports. Parts of Pooler are also relevant.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:05 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
You do know, don't you, that what school he attends depends on where he lives? The districts change depending on population. Be sure to ask before you buy a house.

Sometimes the academic record of a school is not as good as it's football record. Decide which is the most important for you.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:40 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
If by chance your son is championship material, perhaps you could shop him around at some of the private schools. Some, like Savannah Christian, salivate at the idea of winning games. They will offer scholarships to excellent players. Then you can live wherever you please.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:27 AM

975 posts, read 1,149,854 times
Ellie's suggestion is a good one. I wouldn't disqualify schools because they are small (or private). That's just limiting your choices, and your chances for educational and environmental quality. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area