Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 06:39 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times

Advertisements

Good day/evening all! I'm searching through old threads and can't find much about high school football programs in the surrounding areas other than Hinesville, which we visited a couple of weeks ago. The two schools there seem pretty stoked about football rivalry and such.. Bradwell Institute and Liberty High. I wished we had like the area though, don't. How's the high school football program in and around Savannah? My son has a love, I mean LOVE for the game and has his heart set on playing again once we make this move (if we make this move, was once again reminded how much I HATED flying cockroaches since visiting).....

We also visited Richmond Hill and Pooler while we were there and found certain areas of both to our liking. We also utilize Greatschools.org a bunch, however; I can't seem to find out much about a school's extracurricular activities as some aren't posted. And, are all schools for any one particulars area listed anyway? Help much..anybody? Appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 07:30 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
All high schools, public or private, in the Savannah area have active football programs.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:17 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Richmond Hill and the Effingham County high schools all have very good football programs with widespread community and fan support. In Savannah proper, the best football program at present is probably Benedictine, which is a private boys catholic school. Islands HS plays their first varsity season this year, I believe.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
All high schools, public or private, in the Savannah area have active football programs.
Thank you for that... Do you know of any other site other than great school.org that can give an "accurate" (or as close to) listing of all schools in a county and/or zipcode? My rational is, if I can find a list of all high schools listed within a county/zip code, then I'll have a starting point on researching a particular school's curriculum and extracurricular activities.

Take for instance.. Windsor Forest High School - Savannah, Georgia - GA - School overview It gives us a lot of information of which we're seeking such as: school grades, testing, demographics, etc.. but when you click on "extracurricular" there's nothing to reflect it has a football program. I used this school as an example, however I also pulled up others that doesn't say anything about football.

How does one find such site, or do anyone know of one that has an accurate listing of all high schools within a zip cope? Is there an easier way to do this? I don't remember it being so difficult when we moved here to TN. I think maybe it's because Savannah and it's surrounding has pockets of nice area and not so nice areas all sprawled out perhaps? Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:00 PM

Another example...using greatschools.org, we know we like Richmond Hill, again that website doesn't say anything about a football program. So we went to the school website and saw indeed it did..RH Wildcats. Now if I had a list of the schools... Maybe you're asking, well why not give us the zip codes of the area...? Well, Richmond Hill and parts of Pooler are the areas we actually liked when we visited, we didn't have a chance to get up to Savannah so we do not know the safer areas of Savannah just yet, any suggestions would be appreciated. Pooler seemed so large though. Is there only one high school there?

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 08-02-2014 at 09:12 PM..

Old 08-02-2014, 09:07 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Thank you for that... Do you know of any other site other than great school.org that can give an "accurate" (or as close to) listing of all schools in a county and/or zipcode? My rational is, if I can find a list of all high schools listed within a county/zip code, then I'll have a starting point on researching a particular school's curriculum and extracurricular activities.

Take for instance.. Windsor Forest High School - Savannah, Georgia - GA - School overview It gives us a lot of information of which we're seeking such as: school grades, testing, demographics, etc.. but when you click on "extracurricular" there's nothing to reflect it has a football program. I used this school as an example, however I also pulled up others that doesn't say anything about football.

How does one find such site, or do anyone know of one that has an accurate listing of all high schools within a zip cope? Is there an easier way to do this? I don't remember it being so difficult when we moved here to TN. I think maybe it's because Savannah and it's surrounding has pockets of nice area and not so nice areas all sprawled out perhaps? Any help is appreciated.
Well, the best way to get that info is to click on the individual school websites. To access those, you can go to the district websites for Savannah-Chatham County, Effingham County and Bryan County.

For an alternative school ratings website, I highly recommend Schooldigger.com. I've been very impressed with their data collection and ratings system. It seems very fair and accurate to me.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Richmond Hill and the Effingham County high schools all have very good football programs with widespread community and fan support. In Savannah proper, the best football program at present is probably Benedictine, which is a private boys catholic school. Islands HS plays their first varsity season this year, I believe.

Thank you Newsboy. You're giving me a starting point... So, we are ruling out the Islands (had enough island living) and private schools. I like RH, however hubby thinks it's quite some ways to travel to work as he is a truck driver and will be at the port a lot. Can you suggest the better zip codes (in terms of safety) in Savannah? West, north and south of the center of the city?

Old 08-02-2014, 10:20 PM

975 posts, read 1,149,854 times
Both BC (AA) and Savannah Christian (Class A) have won no fewer than seven (7) state championships. It's as big a deal around here as it is almost anywhere, except maybe Texas.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
Both BC (AA) and Savannah Christian (Class A) have won no fewer than seven (7) state championships. It's as big a deal around here as it is almost anywhere, except maybe Texas.
Who is BC? And are you saying this as good as it get around there? Cause when I showed this to my son he laughed..

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 08-02-2014 at 11:02 PM..

Old 08-02-2014, 10:50 PM

975 posts, read 1,149,854 times
BC is native-speak for Benedictine Military Academy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area